Calorie burn during SL5x5?

Options
I'm curious - is there a rough chart to show average calorie burn during SL5x5?

I would have thought that as the weights are a known quantity, it would be possible to come up with a reasonable approximation for a given weight. I don't need this information, but it would be good for me to account for the extra energy expenditure when planning my cakefuel intake :smiley:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    use the strength training entry in the exercise database?
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It doesn't include any calorie figures - and gives some reasons - but that notwithstanding, I figured someone must have a ready-reckoner of some sort....
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There's a strength training exercise under cardio that will give you a calorie burn estimate.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It's very little, unfortunately, so I don't count mine.
    Can't remember the actual figure now but it wasn't worth counting when compared at a brisk 30 minute walk for example.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It doesn't include any calorie figures - and gives some reasons - but that notwithstanding, I figured someone must have a ready-reckoner of some sort....

search under cardio...
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You'll find it under cardio as "strength training" and it'll only ask you to input the time spent then it will spit out the cals burned for you...
    I've been logging both each individual strength training exercises to track my own stats but then also add the cardio strength training.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight don't count on it, gaining add a little.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    It's very little, unfortunately, so I don't count mine.
    Can't remember the actual figure now but it wasn't worth counting when compared at a brisk 30 minute walk for example.

This.

It is incredibly difficult to measure the calorie burn of strength exercise and heart rate monitors are inaccurate for this modality of training (i.e. your heart rate remains elevated even while resting between activity). Logging "strength training" in MFP may also cause an overestimation, because, again, you are not sustaining activity the entire duration of your gym time. Depending on your rest schedule, you may only be active 50% of the time you're there.

I also choose not to log my strength training because the likelihood of overcompensating with calories is high. In my opinion, if you are consistently strength training 4+ days a week I would go ahead and bump up your activity level setting to something like "lightly active" to account for any minor additional calories burned during the training and recovery period.

Once you've been tracking for a while you'll get a better idea of your TDEE with strength training incorporated and you can set your deficit off of that. For myself I seem to maintain around 1600 on non-workout days and 1,750 on heavy lifting days.
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not using it for weight-loss, but I just wanted to see what contribution it made anyway. I reckon, then, my one mile round-trip to the gym (by foot) probably burns off more (on paper, anyway) ;)