Question regarding bathroom scales

Ok so I have changed the batteries in my scales and I'm now two pounds heavier overnight! Has anyone else experienced a gain after replacing old batteries for new ones?
I know I can't have gained two pounds of weight overnight but I feel so discouraged now!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    Could be batteries, could be water weight. I can easily gain 2lbs overnight, even 4 or 5 if I'm retaining water. I then lose them just as quickly.
  • julescba04
    julescba04 Posts: 40 Member
    I used to stress about scales everyday, took me ages to accept flucuations. Tracking weight everyday has helped me a lot.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    You can absolutely gain 2lb of weight overnight. What you cannot gain is 2lb of fat, unless you ate 7000cal over maintenance the day before. You have gained 2lb of water. It will go away again. Don't sweat it (see what I did there?)
  • TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    Agreed. I wouldn't stress the often weight fluctuations. My lady will fluctuate quite a bit throughout the week
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    I am not a fan of digital scales. I didn't spend too much money on one so maybe mine was cheap but every time I stepped on it, a different number popped up. I use the old fashion kind.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    My weight changes 5lbs if I weight on carpet vs. weighing on lino or wood! Factor in the water weight business and it can be a bit demotivating. As long as you see an overall downward trend, then you're OK.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Ok so I have changed the batteries in my scales and I'm now two pounds heavier overnight! Has anyone else experienced a gain after replacing old batteries for new ones?
    I know I can't have gained two pounds of weight overnight but I feel so discouraged now!

Could be that you've put them down in a slightly different place....
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Your body weight fluctuates.

Rule # 1: You scales lies. It does so because it is evil lol. Dont worry about day-to-day fluctuations. Measure your success over medium and long term and let the way your clothes fit motivate you.
  • liz60625
    liz60625 Posts: 17 Member
    Someone else mentioned the website trend weight in another thread. It's helpful to get perspective on those fluctuations at least for me.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Your weight will fluctuate 1-2 lbs over the course of a day. I only weigh myself every 4 weeks, then you really see progress
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    My scale is pretty sensitive and can give different readings if I move it a bit too much to the left, change the batteries, etc. I keep a 12 lb dumbbell near the scale and always weigh that first. If the weight of the dumbbell is off, I know I need to move the scale or adjust it somehow before I weigh myself.

As a note, little free weights like that don't always weight exactly what they say - my 12 lb weight is actually 12.4. But I know that if my scale is reading it at 12.2 or 12.6 (which has happened) then something's up.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Omg- yes! I bought a new scale and i was 6 pounds heavier so i then replaced my old scales batteries and i was still 5 pounds over what i was before the scale died. Very frustrating!!!
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Scale results can definitely vary day to day for a variety of reasons, as mentioned earlier. Look for long term results, as mentioned earlier - I weigh myself daily, but, as long as I lose weight over the course of a week, I'm happy, and not so worried about the day to day stuff. The real indicators are how you look and feel, your measurements if you do that, and how your clothes fit. Even if my scale went up 5lbs, I'm still smaller than I was a few months ago, and will continue on that path. The number on my scale, and it's accuracy, can't change that. Nothing can at this point, except my actions.