Replies

• butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hit me up! Vegan powerlifter.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Newish vegan over here!! Love the lifestyle!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    pigs eat a vegetables, fruit and nuts based diet which makes them vegans - I eat bacon, which is vegan food - so can we be friends?!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    pigs eat a vegetables, fruit and nuts based diet which makes them vegans - I eat bacon, which is vegan food - so can we be friends?!

HAHAHAHAHHA.......jk.....yeah.... not really funny at all....
    Especially considering most animals eat a veggie based diet that we consumed
  • DrowningInAbyss
    DrowningInAbyss Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm a bit over a month vegan
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Old vegan new to MFP. I'd love some vegan friends.
  • metalellie1
    metalellie1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian with aspirations to be vegan, would love vegan friends for inspiration!
  • miky619
    miky619 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    anyone can add me 2 years vegan and i LUV to share experiences and help others ;)
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've been vegan for 7 years, it was one of the best decisions I've made in my life.
    I got rid of asthma, eczema, general allergies, and so because my lungs cleared up, cardio became fun. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables so unless I make a concerted effort to cook beans and lentils, I tend to forget about them.
    If you stay with veganism, you will probably come to realise that there are niches even within vegans. You've got the high-carb vegans ("801010"), the organic vegans, the fruitarians, the raw vegans, the raw-till-4 vegans, and the list goes on. Just don't get sucked into the niches. Keep a level head and remember that being vegan doesn't grant you superpowers.
    Initially, I experienced very high energy and mood, and I felt a natural compulsion to exercise and be outdoors (probably all the carbs and vitamins).
    After a year or two, I realised that I didn't feel satisfied after eating. I had incredible energy and was very, very happy, but felt empty and light - not "grounded". So hard to describe in words. Once I increased my protein and fat, this feeling definitely subsided. Eat protein, especially if you're exercising.
    Another few times, I felt like there was just something "missing". I thought it was an emotional state so I waited for it to pass but it did not. I got blood tests and my iron and B12 was low. It's worth checking these things. Once I took B12, it went away practically within an hour. I didn't notice any difference with iron (upped it in food anyway of course).
    I have not experienced issues with calcium, but especially if you get into a high-impact activity or weights-training, this may need to be supplemented. A lot of people are against soy products, however, these are the ones that most easily deliver calcium, unless you really like broccoli and spinach (which would incidentally solve most of your nutritional problems to be honest if you were to run into any). But most people don't know how to cook these things and make it yummy.
    I know it goes against the whole "being eu natural" and stuff, but maybe just get a protein powder and a few of the above supplements while you're new, and as you work out how to cook your new diet, start to remove them one at a time.

tl;dr;
    add me if you want XD
  • plantbasedparty
    plantbasedparty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for a year or so. Feel free to add me :)