eating out--places that offer great choices

Options
Just ate at Applebees tonight with an old friend and had one of there 550 calorie meals--steak topped with asiago cheese, potatoes and steamed veggies! It was great. I was telling my brother about it, and he said he had just left Logan's and they had some great 500 calorie meals, too! Has anyone else found some great healthy options eating out, where the calories all all figured out for you?

Replies

• officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Panera has some excellent healthy options. I LOVE Panera!!!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Friendly's ( I don't eat out much in general) has a Light Menu. I got a salad/dressing and half sandiwch (I forget what kind) for 420 calories.

Eat and Park has GREAT food and a lighter menu with the calories listed :)
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Logan's roadhouse, Applebees, McCallisters Deli just to name a few! :smile:
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    lots of places are becoming more calorie minded, and i like it too... but watch out, they are usually sodium laden.... and... i would rather go for a huge salad because i can pretty much get that anywhere.... priorities. :) but i 100% think that they are moving in the right direction!!
  • Fullawhit
    Fullawhit Posts: 1
    Options
    This is my FAVORITE meal! I love Applebees!!!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You can eat well almost anywhere if you know ahead of time what your choices are. I always suggest the book, "Eat This, Not That!" It has many national chains featured and the best and worst choices of each restaurant.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Au Bon Pain and Macaroni Grill are my favorites. The latter requires a little research before you go, however (just look up their nutritional chart online). Ruby Tuesday also has some low-calorie dishes.

You really, really have to watch out for sodium when eating out, though! Many places offer low-calorie-ish selections, but often load them with sodium.
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ihop's calories right on the menu.
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Panera has some excellent healthy options. I LOVE Panera!!!

You are right, Panera is fantastic! I love their soup/salad/sandwich pick 2 combos. The only problem there is choosing which 2!
  • kffitz
    kffitz Posts: 1
    Options
    I had a nice dish off the Friendly's 550 cal or less menu the other day, Ginger Chicken Stir Fry. Pleasantly surprised.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    mmm. the applebee's asiago peppercorn steak is AWESOME!!!!! They have a chicken there that's really good too.

Subway has some stuff, as well as sweet tomatoes. Chili's has some great margarita chicken and a yummy salmon that are both in the 550 range, I think.

As mentioned above, it's the sodium that will kill ya!
  • mrsmichellewilson
    mrsmichellewilson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love Applebee's Menu.....delish.But the last time I ate there I know the potato portion had to of been wrong. It was a huge heap of potatoes.... so I only ate half. So beware !
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    IHOP!!

:) I love IHOP soooo very much. They have a ton of options on their simple n' fit menu, and the cals are listed right on the menu! They're all amazing... But, normally, I just get the kid's "Baby Cakes" for only 210 cals. A piece of turkey bacon, some egg substitute, and 5 mini pancakes. Then an extra 30 cals for some sugar free syrup. :smooched:
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    I ditto Panera. We live right across the road from one and I sway the in-laws anytime I'm able, to go eat there because it's all so fresh, healthier and delish!
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    bump!
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You can pre-search Salsarita's and Genghis Grill online -- design your own menu to meet your calorie goals. Also, O'Charley's has a good 600-calorie or less selection. Watch out for their regular menu items though -- they can be real zingers!!
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    TGI FRIDAYS has a lower calorie menu too. The first time we ordered it, it was actually too much and had to take some of it home.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I eat out too much.. but my favs are Applebee's, Logan's Roadhouse, Buffalo Wild Wings, Panera, and Subway. I also like a dish at On the Boarder (salsa chicken fresca) but have a hard time saying no to the chips and salsa not to mention margaritas!!! LOL! Basically I look it all up before I get there and decide what I want before I walk in the door. Apps on my iPhone help a lot, and MFP has a lot of the choices already here as well. Yes, they are all full of sodium, but it's mainly on the weekends anyway. Of course, Subway is my lunch of choice while I'm at work... so much better than the BK across the street!!!
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    I went to Atlanta Bread Company today and was very happy with their calorie menu! I researched before I went..and stuck to it...and was VERY happy with how full I was after! :)

Subway is okay..but hasn't been settling right after I eat it...could be just me though!

I enjoy Logans and Applebees menues..yuuum.

I hadn't even thought about Mcallasters (can't spell..lala)! I'm going to try that out this weekend :) Thankyou for the suggestion :)
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Wow, great ideas everyone! We don't have Au Bon Pain, Friendlys, Gengis Grill, Salsarita's or Macaroni Grill where we live. You lucky people! But I will check out O-Charley's and IHOP, great to think I can get a pancake breakfast once in a while. I love places that put the calories right on the menu.