Yoga

Options
Hi guys, does anyone else use yoga as a main form of exercise? (Power yoga, usually Vinyasa flow) Does anyone have a good idea of how to measure calorie burn without a fitbit or similar heart monitor? I cannot get one where I live and am wondering if anyone has a better way to estimate!

Replies

• KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I love yoga, but I do it more for the mental benefits than the physical, to be perfectly honest. Plus my shoulder is currently effed, so I'm not down for much physical yoga at all.

MFP really has only 2 Yoga entries & they are almost identical in calories. Really, yoga is not "cardio" (the definition of cardio being a repetitive motion you can do continuously for extended periods of time, per my group fitness certification. Aka: running, rowing) so the calorie burn is really not much.

Depending on the style & your fitness level is can be awesome for beginning strength building. Awesome for your mental space. Great for flexibility.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, does anyone else use yoga as a main form of exercise? (Power yoga, usually Vinyasa flow) Does anyone have a good idea of how to measure calorie burn without a fitbit or similar heart monitor? I cannot get one where I live and am wondering if anyone has a better way to estimate!

A heart rate monitor is not going to be very helpful - they are designed for steady state cardio.

On-line estimates are going to be all over the place. Just use one number consistently for awhile. If you are losing slower than expected adjust that number down. Increase that number if you are losing faster than expected.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yoga saved me from being permanently crippled. About 10 years ago I seriously injured my lower back lifting something 5x heavier than I should have attempted. I squashed my L4-L5 disc and damaged a few others. I all feeling below my belly button and all muscle function for important things (without going into detail). Emergency surgery later feeling returned but there was some permanent nerve damage (mostly from a piss-poor doctor who thought he could fix it with manipulation - and yes I should have sued). For 10 years I didn't have the same muscle control in my left leg than my right, so I lifted almost nothing beyond about 10 lbs, and doctors were happy to put me on a permanent weight restriction of 25 lbs. I went to work all day at a desk job, came home to a recliner, rinse repeat for 10+ years. As you can imagine the weight piled on and I ended up here. In January of last year I had enough, so I started walking and joined MFP by Feb 14th. In the fall of last year all the walking and attempts at some light weight training ended up with me herniating my L4-L5 yet again (what's left of it that wasn't removed the first time) and herniating 2-3 other discs in the lumbar region. I can't begin to describe the pain, but what I can tell you is that I rehabbed myself after a few steroid shots with yoga. Now I do yoga before and after every workout and have no more problems with my back. Had I not adopted several yoga exercises/stretches into my daily routine I would be back in that recliner and packing back on the pounds. I'm working out 6 days a week, walking, sometimes jogging, and doing circuit training. I have to watch the weight I lift but my core is 10x stronger and yoga helps me keep from re-injuring myself.

Is yoga good for main exercise to lose weight? Nope. It won't burn many calories. But it's definitely worth it. You don't have to do it all, just the moves that help you. It'll give you more flexibility and it certainly helps to transition from yoga into body weight training.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    vinyasa is about 200 to 300 per some metric i found on the harvard website. power/not vinyasa is a little less.
    hatha yoga i say 150 to 200, if i remember. yin and restorative is not any different than norm existence.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Mapmyrun (sister app to MFP) gives me 374 kcal for a 1 hour 15 minute power vinyasa flow class - I log these as 45 minutes because of the warming up and shavasana, and it comes back with that 374. I'm 5'9", female, 136 lb.

This seems to work out as far as what I eat. They do keep us moving for a lot of the class.
  • thequietesthush
    thequietesthush Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, this is great and so helpful!!! I do a vinyasa flow class once a week (1 hour so @robininfl, I might try a calorie burn a bit lower than yours), and also practice at home a few times a week. Trying to take exercise one step at a time, because if I do too much, I invariably quit (years of practice...), so also introducing in swimming once a week, and general lifestyle changes of making sure I always walk to work etc. I can't afford to do these and the gym all together so will just see how it goes.

@Spliner1969 - thank you for sharing your story, it is inspirational to see how yoga helped you. No similarity to yours, but I was extremely ill with lung issues over the last year, and was on pretty intense steroid treatment for about 6 months. Because of that, I gained almost 10kg and am now back on MFP trying to lose the weight again. I found that because of the impact that the steroids had on my mental health, yoga was the only thing that I finally managed to get back into, so I'm sticking with it for many reasons :). Definitely mental, but I do find the strengthening/toning aspect of yoga amazing as well!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit Charge HR which does use heartrate to calculate "burn." I do both Vinyasa and more gentle forms of yoga. Quite frankly, MFP overestimates the burn on yoga. I have almost never burned more than 100 calories in an hour of yoga, even the more vigorous types. I am a bit smaller than the average person -- 5'1" which probably plays a role. I do the yoga for strength and flexibility and do cardio (walking, zumba, kickboxing). I can see the overall effects of the yoga in a tighter core and stronger upper body, but I don't expect it to allow me to eat many exercise calories!

I also have a shoulder injury, like another poster, but I had a really good physical therapist who taught me how to properly set up for downward dog and plank so I wouldn't reinjure myself. Also, with yoga, you can always use props and do modifications. I like it because I can listen to my own body rather than compete with others and listen to some "drill sargeant" trainer yell at the class to "keep up the burn" and ignore everyone's pain and discomfort.
    I acquired my shoulder injury in one of those classes after doing 3 minutes straight of shoulder presses and then burpees.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I wear a Fitbit Charge HR which does use heartrate to calculate "burn." I do both Vinyasa and more gentle forms of yoga. Quite frankly, MFP overestimates the burn on yoga. I have almost never burned more than 100 calories in an hour of yoga, even the more vigorous types. I am a bit smaller than the average person -- 5'1" which probably plays a role. I do the yoga for strength and flexibility and do cardio (walking, zumba, kickboxing). I can see the overall effects of the yoga in a tighter core and stronger upper body, but I don't expect it to allow me to eat many exercise calories!

I also have a shoulder injury, like another poster, but I had a really good physical therapist who taught me how to properly set up for downward dog and plank so I wouldn't reinjure myself. Also, with yoga, you can always use props and do modifications. I like it because I can listen to my own body rather than compete with others and listen to some "drill sargeant" trainer yell at the class to "keep up the burn" and ignore everyone's pain and discomfort.
    I acquired my shoulder injury in one of those classes after doing 3 minutes straight of shoulder presses and then burpees.

I do a power yoga class that's Vinyasa based. It's pretty intense. I also wear my charge and agree that MFP over estimates. On a really intense day I get 175-200. Most of the time less.

Yoga is great. And depending on the type and the teacher it can be a good work out. The fact that poses progress, and it can take years to work through the progressions is a definite plus!