Losing 2lbs per week with only 50 pounds to lose.

Options
I am a male, 6'5, 230 with a TDEE around 2600. I am set to lose 2 pounds per week and I plan on doing this until I hit my goal. I am taking Vyvanse for ADHD, which also makes me not want to eat. I have no problem sticking to 1600 calories, and most of the time I can't even hit that. I just don't want to eat.

I've read that the less you have to lose, the slower you should go. But why should I force myself to eat if I am not hungry? To even reach my goal I have to eat chocolate. I need to eat low volume, high calorie junk food just to reach my goal. I don't see this as anymore healthy than just eating what I can of good quality healthy food. I know that I couldn't possibly eat more. So why is it so wrong to lose at this rate?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Because you're going to lose muscle at an unnecessary rate by not losing slowly at this point. That's why.

And if you're not hungry, start replacing foods with higher calorie versions. High calorie doesn't mean unhealthy either. Things like cooking oils, peanut butter, avocados, nuts, etc can become really helpful getting you to a reasonable intake when you're struggling.
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'v dropped 54 pounds in just over 5 months, so roughly 2lbs a week on average, starting at 250.5. I've been eating better, and less, and doing a lot more exercise, so that I don't drop muscle, as @vespiquenn mentioned. As I've been getting closer to goal, which is currently about 180 (I'll re-evaluate when I get there), the speed of loss has slowed, as I expected, but not terribly.
    If you need more calories, I wouldn't advise chocolate just for the sake of something. Definitely work it into your calories if you want some, I have some almost daily. I would recommend chasing down your macro/micro nutrient goals late in the day when you have extra calories left, just for the health benefits. I recommend something extra proteiny to help prevent muscle loss as the day ends.
    Best of luck on your journey, you'll get there before you know it :)
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    High calorie doesn't mean bad food. You can add lots of good options like good oils, nuts, nut butters, avocados, and things like that. Don't forget if your meds make you not want to eat,they are inhibiting your natural cues for food, which means you might need that extra food but just aren't realizing it. It doesn't mean you aren't undereating or doing damage.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    As a tall guy you have a higher TDEE than a lot of others looking to lose weight. You will even have a (relative to me for example) high TDEE at maintenance. You can manage a 1000 calorie deficit where others may not be able to. With that said, do make sure you're getting adequate nutrition.
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I am a male, 6'5, 230 with a TDEE around 2600. I am set to lose 2 pounds per week and I plan on doing this until I hit my goal. I am taking Vyvanse for ADHD, which also makes me not want to eat. I have no problem sticking to 1600 calories, and most of the time I can't even hit that. I just don't want to eat.

I've read that the less you have to lose, the slower you should go. But why should I force myself to eat if I am not hungry? To even reach my goal I have to eat chocolate. I need to eat low volume, high calorie junk food just to reach my goal. I don't see this as anymore healthy than just eating what I can of good quality healthy food. I know that I couldn't possibly eat more. So why is it so wrong to lose at this rate?

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Losing weight too fast can have bad side effects (excessive muscle loss, hair loss, brittle nails, etc...).

General medical guidelines are to lose 1-2lb/week except for the obese who can lose more, or to keep weight loss less than 1% of your weight per week (which generally falls in the 1-2lb range hence why that range is given). Do that, eat sufficient protein, do some resistance training, and you'll avoid most/all undesired side effects.

Also, a TDEE of 2600 sounds low, so either it is off, or you really just don't move much. Either way, just monitor the scale. If you lose weight too fast that means your estimate was off and you should eat a bit more.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I saw something yesterday which said adding a little dressing (just olive oil and lemon juice, nothing creamy or cheesy!) to salad promoted the absorbtion of essential vitamins - trying to get them from "dry" salad is apparently very difficult. But as others have said no need for junk (although a little good quality dark chocolate is very good for you), plenty of proteins such as nuts and cheese, good quality houmous or guacamole will all add calories without being unhealthy. Just to add I'm on 1600 to lose 1/2lb a week (being smaller, older, a woman and only 7lb to lose) so that really doesn't sound a lot for a tall bloke!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

2 lb/week is probably fine for someone 6'5, over 200, as it's more about the overall deficit percentage. That said, 2600 TDEE for that size sounds really low, and if you are super sedentary there's added reason to be concerned about muscle loss, which is one of the main reasons not to cut to low as you get closer to goal.

For body composition, in addition to being reasonably active and doing some strength exercises (doesn't have to be lifting), what matters isn't "junk" or no (who even knows how people define that), but getting in enough protein and an overall healthful balanced diet. As others have said, plenty of nutrient dense foods also have lots of calories. Not wanting to eat is a separate thing, and if your goal is to lose the weight and you don't care about body comp, no big deal, I guess.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

2 lb/week is probably fine for someone 6'5, over 200, as it's more about the overall deficit percentage. That said, 2600 TDEE for that size sounds really low, and if you are super sedentary there's added reason to be concerned about muscle loss, which is one of the main reasons not to cut to low as you get closer to goal.

For body composition, in addition to being reasonably active and doing some strength exercises (doesn't have to be lifting), what matters isn't "junk" or no (who even knows how people define that), but getting in enough protein and an overall healthful balanced diet. As others have said, plenty of nutrient dense foods also have lots of calories. Not wanting to eat is a separate thing, and if your goal is to lose the weight and you don't care about body comp, no big deal, I guess.

I am pretty sedentary. I have MS and am disabled. I don't exercise because of the pain and fatigue. I really don't do much, so 2600 is pretty accurate. I do care about body composition. I've been as low as 179, but was skinny fat. I had planned on doing a recomp with resistance bands, which is pretty much all I can do. I do hit my protein goal, though I guess I could get more. Do you think if I did resistance bands from now until I hit my goal, my compostition would be different than before? I still had a bit of fat on my lower stomach and sides. I want to lose it right, even if it means forcing myself to eat more calories.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    "Only 50lbs to lose". I think 2lbs+/week is fine with that much to lose.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't the issue. Keeping it off is the issue. Learning to eat healthy and proportion the right amount of food is the key. It's unlikely you will take appetite suppressing drug the rest of your life, nor is it likely to work the same way as time goes on.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yea I would say that the thing is, starting out with 50lbs to lose, you wanna start out by eating a higher amount of calories (still under your TDEE, of course) so that you can lower that as your weight goes down. MFP will adjust it for you, but I would say it'll go down maybe 100 calories every 10lbs you lose? So by the time youre at the end of your weight loss phase, you'll be at 2000 calories a day instead of 2500 or something along those lines.

Also, losing too fast is bad because you'll lose muscle which im sure you don't wanna do. And eating as few calories as 1600 for a male of your size is starvation, your metabolism will be ruined and you'll end up gaining your weight back in the long run because it isn't sustainable.
  • Derek_McC
    Derek_McC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Two lbs a week is doable. I started at 234 lbs with a goal of 180 at 6'2". I am 7 weeks in and have lost 16.5 lbs which includes a week where I lost nothing. I do, however, expect it to slow down a lot as I get below 200 lbs. I eat too much some days and too little some days, but with some exercise and trying to be careful the MFP plan has been working well for me.

The one thing that concerns me is dropping muscle as part of the weight loss. This is definitely against my weight and health goals, but it is probably happening as I spend way too little time doing strength training.

The concern with the medication is valid and may cause you to have to force yourself to consume some healthy calories to get to your goal. I am on quite a bit of medication for my kidneys and it does cause a lot of dietary challenges. If you look at my diary, you will see that I fail miserably much of the time.

I am, however, still moving forward.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I am pretty sedentary. I have MS and am disabled. I don't exercise because of the pain and fatigue. I really don't do much, so 2600 is pretty accurate. I do care about body composition. I've been as low as 179, but was skinny fat. I had planned on doing a recomp with resistance bands, which is pretty much all I can do. I do hit my protein goal, though I guess I could get more. Do you think if I did resistance bands from now until I hit my goal, my compostition would be different than before? I still had a bit of fat on my lower stomach and sides. I want to lose it right, even if it means forcing myself to eat more calories.

Yeah, I think it's a smart idea to do some resistance work while losing -- maintaining the muscle you have is easier than rebuilding it. That's also why I might slow down the loss (maybe aim for 20%-25% off the TDEE vs. 1000).
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

I think this makes it even more important to lose slowly and ensure you meet adequate protein goals. With limited ability to do any form of resistance training, you want to preserve as much as humanly possible. Even though you do have 50lbs to lose, you would benefit doing it slowly an incorporating anything you can like your resistance bands.