Runners! Beginner needing advice and questions answered please!

Options
2»

Replies

• olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Dynamic stretching has been found to decrease injuries if done before a workout, static stretching can be done after the workout when muscles are fully warmed up. I usually start with a 2 minute brisk walk followed by some stretches I found online to activate my glutes, hamstrings and hips.

SueInAz wrote: »
    180 steps per minute (90 each side) is the optimal cadence for running because it keeps your steps short and your feet under your center of gravity. When running really slowly it may be a bit lower than 180 but the point is to keep your feet beneath your body and not landing out in front of you. This reduces impact and that reduces injuries.

I agree 100%. I also start with a brisk walk (2-5 minutes depending how I feel and how cold it is outside I need more time in colder days) and the do some dynamic stretches.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rcadden21 wrote: »
    You should try HIIT training. Go all out for 30 seconds then rest/walk for 30. Do that 20 times.

For an out of shape beginner? I'm no running coach, but I couldn't think of much worse advice to give. High injury potential, lots of DOMS and the fact that HIIT (if done correctly) is very painful/exhausting and a brand new runner would be a lot more likely to just give up than continue doing it. HIIT is all the fashionable/trendy thing right now, but I don't consider it a beginner workout. 20 sprint reps at a 1:1 work/rest interval would have most beginners lying on the ground in a puddle of their own puke.

@blueeyez939 - Run as slow as you need to maintain a conversational pace. If it's no faster than a fast walk, so be it. Speed will come with time as you build/improve your aerobic base. When I first started running, I couldn't even make it a mile, my legs were hurting and I was gasping for breath. Turns out I was trying to run way too fast and once I slowed down (yes, to not much faster than a fast walk), I was easily able to start running farther with a lot less pain and suffering.

I agree with others that the first 5-10 minutes are the worst, that's always the time I have to fight the urge to quit. I once saw it said as "embrace the suck" - just work through it until you're warmed up and settled into your pace. Once you get past that point, the whole experience becomes a lot more comfortable/enjoyable.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was like that at the start. Took about four weeks of C25K before my lungs settled and longer for them to stop complaining at all. Now I can run an hour and a half before mine start to complain. My legs wobble first now. It takes some of us a while to train our lungs.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I second the above posts about a program. I know what it's like to be eager and wanna just jump into it at 1000% but take it easy and gradually move up on your mileage so you don't injure yourself. It takes some time to get your body acclimated. I used to think a mile or two was tough, now I'm running 4-5 days a week, min. of 4-7 miles on week days and double digits on my weekends. You'll get there.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Running is a gait, not a speed. Especially on those days when it's hot and humid, when I started I could sometimes walk faster than I could run, and that's okay. It's better (and safer, and more fun) to rack up slow, easy miles than it is to keep burning yourself out. I liked C25K, but I highly recommend you find any program that seems interesting (Zombies! Run is a popular one too).
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    slow down, your "stamina" runs should be easy runs (able to hold a conversation). You can do speed work via "intervals" and sprints to work on speed. Only increase you mileage once you can hold your current speed easy for 2 weeks and then only by 10%. I train for triathlons and they say to wait 2 days in between runs. Cross train, bike, weights ect. on the two days in between. You need to rest just as much as increase mileage to improve your times. I am not that fast but can "push" myself for a sub 46 minute miler. Not bad for a 47 year old guy that has just started running a few years back. My run week is a 8 mile run on sunday , then wed and Friday, a 1 mile run jog, followed by 12- 25 yard sprints then a moderate 4.5 run. Monday is REST day! Tues, Thurs and Saturday are bike days. I am finally back to "enjoying" running!
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, don't worry about your speed. I think i could walk faster than run when i started (brother and husband both 6ft2.. i have to walk pretty fast to keep up). People did actually walk past me on several occasions. Also had a retiree jog past me A LOT... seriously good motivation that.

Have you looked into running or triathlon clubs in your area? Btw you don't need to be at all interested in doing a tri, or the swim/bike part of the training to join a tri club (i certainly didn't! ended up getting well into it though). The club should cater for complete noobs and be all welcoming, they will give you coaching/advice on your posture, cadence, gait etc and running with others is great fun. Don't worry about 'holding others up', this is what club training is for. Clubs will also alter the run training they're doing, so you'll get distance runs, hiits/fartlek and short fast runs to choose from and can then incorporate that into your solo runs.

If you don't already have one get a run/tri/sports logging watch or fitbit, it doesn't need to be fancy or expensive but the more you can pay the better it will work. If you can afford one with GPS it'll work better than one that works on movement alone. Try ebay for secondhand ones. Check out the amazon reviews for anything you're interested in before buying it though as some watches are just useless, even from well known manufacturers.

Also, if you don't do it already, try doing some weight and body-weight training that focusses on core/back and legs. Again, a gym with free instructions, classes or PT is best for this if you've not done it before as posture and not overdoing it is essential.

Don't worry about your speed or distance for now, concentrate on posture, gait and breathing (one at a time), they'll soon fall into place for you.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you want to be able to run farther and faster, you have to learn how to run slow. Running slow means moving at a pace where you can comfortably carry on a conversation (in full sentences) with someone, without gasping for air.

Most of your runs (80%) should be done at the aforementioned type pace, which often correlates to one being in heart rate zone 2, which is your aerobic base zone.

Don't worry about other people passing you. What matters, is you running at a pace that is congruent with your current fitness level.

Over time, work on building up to 5 - 6 days a week of running. As a beginner, 3 days a week is fine. You want to be careful not to get any overuse injuries.

Running produces a lot of stress and strain on the body. Your ability to utilize oxygen will improve much faster than your tendons, joints and bones adapting to your running. As such, you need to be very mindful of your pace and your posture.

Last, but certainly not least, make sure you have the right kind of running shoes for your needs. Wearing the wrong shoes can make for some ugly injuries. It would be a good idea to get properly fitted at your local running store the first time. After that, you will have a better idea of what to look for in a good running shoe.