Superventiculartachycardia aka svt

Options
LaDawn74
LaDawn74 Posts: 132 Member
Does anyone else deal with this? Mine is very mild. Lately, my heart hasn't been feeling well (yes, I can tell when its not right...get a funny feeling)......and with my SVT, I'm scared of getting it up a rapid beat.....It can get a rapid beat on its on when I'm just resting....

Any suggestions?

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My son had this when he was super tiny. Very scary stuff. When he went to the ER, they did a shock treatment of an ice bag over his face in an attempt to "reset" his heartbeat. I recall the doctor saying something about a similar effect by jumping in cold water.

However, be in touch with your cardiologist in order to have coping mechanisms for attacks. My son took propanelol (generic for Indurol) for 1 year to help the second electrical impluse line atrophy, and thus become ineffective. But, have a convo with your cardiologist.

Good luck!
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I don't know how this differs from IST (inappropriate sinus tachycardia) which I have. I take a beta-blocker to get my heart down to a somewhat more normal (though still a bit high) heart rate. I personally can't work out very long however, because it gives me palpitations.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else deal with this? Mine is very mild. Lately, my heart hasn't been feeling well (yes, I can tell when its not right...get a funny feeling)......and with my SVT, I'm scared of getting it up a rapid beat.....It can get a rapid beat on its on when I'm just resting....

Any suggestions?
    The correct term is supraventricular tachycardia. You can try bearing down (like trying to have a bm) or sometimes drinking something very cold like a fruit slush can convert this to a normal rhythm. Have you ever seen a Cardiologist for this condition?
  • LaDawn74
    LaDawn74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes...since mine is so sparatic, he said the side effects of the meds are worse than dealing with it right now.....it doesn't happen very often....

I think a lot of it is from stress.......and anxitey (sp).........

No ins so I can't go see a cardo right now.......
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I had it when I was in college. I believe it was caused by stress, dehydration and consuming too much caffeine. This combination caused the initial incident. Subsequent incidents, which were much milder, seemed to happen partially because I was so worried it would happen. I was on beta-blockers for a while to control it.

My cardiologist recommended I do cardio-exercises....which I was scared to death to try. However, eventually it got to a point where I decided I didn't want to take beta-blockers for the rest of my life. I decided to start doing some light exercises and slowly wean myself off the medication. At first, it was tough because my heart would beat so fast, but after a while my cardio routine progressed in difficutly and my resting heartbeat went down....way down, almost to the point of bradycardia. I cut my BB dosages in half the next day and the next and then stopped taking them. Haven't had a single episode for the past 15 years....
  • Balishdear
    Balishdear Posts: 60
    Options
    I hope you still check this topic and all. In 2007 I was initially diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I was taking flecainide and toprol. I had heard about cardioversion, but it doesn't help those of us who arent in an abnormal arhythmia all the time. I chose to have a "catheter ablation" which will destroy that abnormal pathway in your heart. I was under for 5 hours while they tried to find the problem area. they at that point figured out I indeed had an idiopathic SVT. I was having bouts of atrial fibrillation brought on by the SVT. After having the cath ablation (at age 21) I have been cured. I am not on any medication and I am SVT free!! So I suggest you look into a cath ablation. Just as SVT changed my life so quickly, the ablation returned my normal life I had before.
  • Lori_menorahlover
    Options
    I live with PSVT. My first episode was a rate of 288 beats per minute. I usually end up in the ER and they restart my heart with adenisone. Not fun. Sadly vagal manuevers rarely work for me to stop it. When I had my first episode I weighed my heaviest at 247. Now I am down to 139 and trying to lose my last few lbs. Being in shape has helped me deal with PSVT but losing weight doesn't make it go away. I hope when I get great insurance again I can have an ablation done.

I belong to a SVT group on FB for support if you would like the info.

Stay strong and getting fit and losing weight will help you get through a SVT episode better.

I will send you a friend request too.

Blessings
    Lori

Proverbs 3:5-6
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I hope you still check this topic and all. In 2007 I was initially diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I was taking flecainide and toprol. I had heard about cardioversion, but it doesn't help those of us who arent in an abnormal arhythmia all the time. I chose to have a "catheter ablation" which will destroy that abnormal pathway in your heart. I was under for 5 hours while they tried to find the problem area. they at that point figured out I indeed had an idiopathic SVT. I was having bouts of atrial fibrillation brought on by the SVT. After having the cath ablation (at age 21) I have been cured. I am not on any medication and I am SVT free!! So I suggest you look into a cath ablation. Just as SVT changed my life so quickly, the ablation returned my normal life I had before.

Did you have any problems on Flecainide? The Dr just prescribed it today...I've had an ablation (Fail), been on Verapamil & Toprol (Fails). Thanks!