Wolf Parkinson White syndrome- anyone got it?

Options
Hi

I've recently been diagnosed with wolff parkinson white syndrome- a heart condition that effects about 0.1-0.4% of the population. Its where the electrical impulses of the heart travel down an extra pathway through the centre of the heart- causing palpitations, raised heart rate and sometimes high bp.

It's not a serious condition to most- but it is sometimes fatal.

Has anyone else got this condition? Have you had to make changes to your lifesyle?

I'm waiting to hear to see whether I need to see a cardiologist.

Replies

• mok33
    mok33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had an irregular heart beat/palpitations for over 28 years, it never had a name like yours, but it had to do with the electrical impulses... in 1995 I had radio frequency ablation, where they killed heathy heart tissue to break the pathways of the impulses, I do still have flutter and take a high dose beta blocker to keep a steady rhythm and a low bp.....
    I am 56 years old now, and active for the first time in my life, I can never get my heart rate up over 108,[normal hr for me is 50 to 60] the meds prevent it from going higher, but I can break a sweat on the treadmill, bike and elliptical.... my cardio is effective for me....
    if you have a diagnosis like that, I would assume you should have a cardiologist.... I once had an arrythmia [sp?] episode that lasted 45 min, and I thought I would die....
    get the go ahead from a professional about cardio, meanwhile keep up your strength training... ;-)
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do not have that particular condition, but I did have sudden palpitations since I was a kid. Multiple trips to the ER once I was an adult and it started getting worse and more frequent. Once they caught it on EKG, I went to see a cardiologist who specializes in the electrical signals of the heart. I went in for an outpatient procedure where they cauterized (sp?) the electrical signal in my heart that was getting caught in a loop causing the rapid heart beat. I have had basically no problems with it since then. I would highly recommend that you see a cardiologist who specializes in electrophysiology. Good luck!
  • Girlbirder
    Girlbirder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My cousin has wolff Parkinson white syndrome and was told to take it pretty easy until he had had the procedure (I guess the same as the one mentioned above), he is now fine and a canoe instructor so pretty active most of the time.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have a type of atrial arrhythmia called PAC (premature atrial contractions). It only acts up when my heart rate gets very high very fast. So, I compensate by working up slowly on the cardio. It still sometimes acts up when I keep my heart rate up above 160 for more than 15 minutes, but I just slow down and let it catch back up.

As for your condition, you should ask your doctor about what is the best way to exercise.
  • bloodstar
    bloodstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Having been Diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation since 2002, A cardiologist is going to be the best person to give you advice on any lifestyle changes that you may need to do.

As you've probably read, most of the time the condition is harmless, if you fall in that 98% category, there's no reason for you to make any lifestyle changes, regular checkups with a cardiologist should be all you'll need.

How did you discover you had wolff parkinson white syndrome? was it because of a check up or did you have symptoms?
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I had an abnormal Ecg/ekg during a surgery recently. I do occasionally have flutters/ slight chest pain especially if I bend over sharply or the morning after drinking too much. I do have a high heart rate and raised no but that could also he due to the extra weight I'm carrying.

I will discuss this at my next appointment, thanks for the advice so far x
  • stressd1mom
    stressd1mom Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My dad had WPW & had to have surgery to correct it. His heart raced up to 400 beats per minute & the blood wasn't pumping anywhere because it was going so fast. He ended up passing out. His surgery was 11 hours, they had to follow all the pathways around his heart to find the extra pathway. Once they found it, they lasered it shut & then continued checking the rest of the pathways. I remember the doctors saying it was hereditary too. Does anyone else in your family have this?
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Bump- any more?
  • Balishdear
    Balishdear Posts: 60
    Options
    I had SVT with added atrial fibrillation. Have you asked your doctor about a catheter ablation? It reversed mine completely and I'm free from that annoyance!!
  • CandiceLeeAnn
    CandiceLeeAnn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's been a few months since anyone has posted, but I just found this topic in my search. I was diagnosed with WPW in February 2007 after having abnormal EKG results prior to having my gall bladder removed. I honestly thought that the palpitations were normal and happened to everyone because it was normal for me. Sometimes my heart would race when I was just doing the dishes. In January 2008, after several Dr.'s visits, stress tests, and wearing a holter monitor for 24 hours, I went in for an EP Study and possible ablation. Unfortunately, they had trouble recreating an "episode", so they were unable to find my accessory pathway and fix it. I was disappointed, but it is what it is. I was then put on a beta blocker. In February I became pregnant with my second child and had no issues with my WPW att all, but I was deemed high risk and monitored closely. After the birth of my son I started having palpitations and butterfly flutters along with chest pains for several months. I had another EKG, stress test and my medication was increased to 1 1/2 metoprolol a day. I was also told to lose weight(my baby was only 3 months old at the time, so I was working on it) and was also told to avoid strenuous activity. After a few months on my new dose, things got worse. I talked to my Dr. and we decided to slowly decrease my dose until I wasn't taking any medication at all...to see if that would make a difference. I've been medication free for just over two years now and aside from the very occasional flutter/chest pain, I'm doing well. My BP is also at a normal range and I'm feeling great. I've got a 5 year old and 3 year old who keep me on my toes :)
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Good to hear your story CandiceLeeAnn

I'm not really being monitored at the moment- I've been told to go to my Doctor if I experience symptoms on a more regular basis. I do however, get a very tight pain the day in my chest after I've drank too much alcohol (I dont drink too heavily too often, but I'm young- it happens) and sometimes it's a pretty severe pain. Has anyone with WPW had this symptom? Should I seek help if this happens again?

Thanks
  • CandiceLeeAnn
    CandiceLeeAnn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    metal_beau, I've actually never really drank alcohol...lol. I know, strange but true. Anyway, if the chest pain continues to happen, it might not hurt to see your Doctor about it, just to be safe. Some people do get chest pain from drinking, stress, anxiety...but it's one of those things that should be looked into if it continues. I usually get chest pain when I'm stressed out or very anxious, but it's very rare that it happens and my Doctor is aware of it.