Snacking - emotional eating

Options
Hi, I recently got a new job and the job has been very easy for me. I get really bored and I'll start snacking. What do you guys do to curb snacking and not eat a bunch of junk food as a result of emotional eating?

TY

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I typically drink about a gallon of water a day. If I am bored, I listen to music, take a walk, or do something for a few minutes. I might also pop a piece of sugar free gum to give me something to do.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just decide to only eat meals, and do that. I can't always stick to it, but almost always when I've decided. Being properly nourished also helps.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I keep fresh veggies with me so I can snack and not get frustrated about it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    To give up snacking, I started drinking. Water.
  • Angelajeanmcmahan85
    Angelajeanmcmahan85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Protein shake
    Fresh Celery, carrots, bell pepper
    Qai Oatmeal super food REALLY helps me in between meals
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have no time on my job to eat, so I eat at the end of the day.

If I were bored I might try to keep the food far away/ difficult to get to. Also, maybe consider
    setting an alarm -- eat a specific times instead of random times.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just decide to only eat meals, and do that. I can't always stick to it, but almost always when I've decided. Being properly nourished also helps.

This is what I did.

I find if I'm in the habit of snacking it's tough not to, and tough to stop when I start. When I'm not in the habit I rarely even think about it and it's easy to avoid. (There are always snacks at my office and I'm a stress eater.)

Basically, then, I'd recommend breaking the habit.

In the alternative, save calories for the snacks, but for me that wouldn't work (grazing is never easy for me to control) and I am much happier using the calories on fewer, larger meals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, I do grab coffee or tea or water when I might want to snack sometimes.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Sugarless gum and sugar free hard candies.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    One thing that has worked for me, is eating at a dining table ONLY. I feel like a knob snacking at the kitchen table and find it isn't worth it unless I can eat while I read. I am also a stress eater, and reading and eating go hand in hand for me after a long day. I have even had to put my book away while I break the habit. Habits are amazing in their power, aren't they?
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Drinking water will make you feel less "snacky," gum helps me, too (other ppl have said these but I feel like they really work). Tea or even just a cup of hot water really work for me, too
  • hitting_dat_mark
    hitting_dat_mark Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've found that with me my mind controls how I eat at times. If I'm letting my mind wander, it will wander straight to my belly. Try to stay away from stimuli until you are ready to eat a meal. (i.e., computers, t.v., magazines. Things like this send messages to your brain that you should be eating while you are watching me..)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To give up snacking, I started drinking. Water.

I know this works for a lot of people but water just doesn't do anything for me as far as hunger/snacking issues. I can drink a gallon and still be looking for food the next minute.

Funny as it sounds it helps me to pre-log my day in the MFP app.. if I snack extra I have to go in and change things and lose more of my deficit, and that usually keeps me from doing it.