I'm Discouraged!!!

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for a really long time now, and I just haven't been successful. I've been taking an anti-depressant for the past 2 1/2 years now (paxil....but just switched to effexor) which has caused me to gain about 30 pounds. I struggle a lot with cravings, which oftentimes are uncontrolled. I really crave sweet stuff, like cookies, candy, and junk food like chips. No matter how hard I try, I always seem to give in to my cravings and eat things I shouldn't. Any tips anyone has to offer and how to control cravings would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also not that motivated to work out. I have a 2 hour commute everday and work 40 plus hours during the week. I'm just so exhausted when I get home that it's really hard for me to go to the gym. I'm also not a morning person, so getting up is quite a struggle for me.

I guess I just needed to vent and hope that someone responds with any encouraging words.

Replies

• bebe1208
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for a really long time now, and I just haven't been successful. I've been taking an anti-depressant for the past 2 1/2 years now (paxil....but just switched to effexor) which has caused me to gain about 30 pounds. I struggle a lot with cravings, which oftentimes are uncontrolled. I really crave sweet stuff, like cookies, candy, and junk food like chips. No matter how hard I try, I always seem to give in to my cravings and eat things I shouldn't. Any tips anyone has to offer and how to control cravings would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also not that motivated to work out. I have a 2 hour commute everday and work 40 plus hours during the week. I'm just so exhausted when I get home that it's really hard for me to go to the gym. I'm also not a morning person, so getting up is quite a struggle for me.

I guess I just needed to vent and hope that someone responds with any encouraging words.
  • littlekimmyishy
    littlekimmyishy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh I know exactly what you mean about the sweets cravings! The way I get over it is to think about every bite I take, and to take smaller bites. Like, those super good godiva chocolates. Only get one, but make it lat through more than one or two bites. Really enjoy it. If you do that, if find that I end up getting my craving satisfied, without eating a billion calories worth of chocolate or chips :-p

don't deny yourself, but just make sure you watch how much you are putting in your mouth :)

as far as the working out thing, maybe walk on one of your breaks. Like the first break you get during the day, walk around while you drink some water or something. Even just adding a little bit of activity will help :)

Or if you know you are going to eat a whole bunch of sweet stuff or chips, then plan for it! :) Like, when you put together your lunch, make a really great salad, and some fruit, but throw in 5 oreos to get the sweet part taken care of!

It is really hard, but you can do it! If i can do it, then anyone can, i have the least willpower in the world!
  • emoff3
    Options
    I also know exactly how you feel. I have the biggest sweet tooth EVER! I always have to have a cookie or something after I eat a meal. What I have found that works for me, is to just not have it in the house. When you go grocery shopping (don't go on an empty stomach) don't buy any of the junk. What I have found is that when my cravings do come and I need something sweet, I know that there's none in my apartment AND I'm too lazy to drive somewhere just to get a cookie or ice cream (yeah I know too lazy to drive...pathetic). This keeps me from going crazy on calories when I have little cravings for something sweet or junky. But for those cravings that are uncontrollable, get the 100 calorie snack packs. They have oreos and chocolate chip cookies and they are actually really good. And even if you need 2 of those snack packs to satisfy the craving, that's only 200 calories as opposed to what a big bowl of ice cream or a package of oreos would cost you. Another snack that I find really good (and healthy) are the Special K snacks. The snack cereal bars are really good and sweet, but my favorite are the snack bites, I believe both being 90 calories a package, so again it's not detrimental if you have a couple packets of them. I hope this helps. Good luck:)
  • hannah
    hannah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi BEBE, First and foremost don’t be so hard on yourself, you can do anything you put your mind to, just having to commute back and forth to work says so much about your motivation. It took me well over two months to really start to see my weight start to drop, I think we are way to hard on "US". Give yourself a break do something for yourself. Start out slow and start to walk if you can't get to the gym it's ok because in walking you are motivating your mind, body and spirit. Here is something I do, I started out walking and them looking to see how much I gained in calories, at first I would eat the extra calories then as I walked more it became running and I no longer eat the excess calories, but find it motivates me to leave them uneaten kind of like a plate of food that you don’t finish because your fulfilled at what you have already taken in. If you see that the cravings get out of hand tell yourself that you can have what your craving as long as you earn it, walking = burned calories, look at the calorie of what you want to eat and see what you can do to earn it so to speak then if it’s obtainable allow yourself. I noticed that the more I looked at the food calories I was eating the easier it was to say no it’s not worth it right now. I hope this helps you, I know that depression is not an easy thing to deal with and the medication can be a pain, but I can’t tell you how important it is to take care of yourself and follow the doctor’s recommendation for medications. By the way walking also helps the mind set, it gets the blood to flow and stress to release. Take one day at a time BEBE, Think of this as a rung on a ladder one step up at a time and then not to be hard on yourself if some days you have to take a step down, at one point you will reach the top. I have faith in you, one trip around the block or through the mall or anywhere your able will turn into great motivation to be the best you can be, it’s like something clicks in and you would rather be moving then opening up something to eat, eating is something we do a lot of times because were over stressed and it's so effortlessly obtainable, let me motivate you to think another way, we are responsible for who we are, if we want better we have to continually work on it, that does not have to be unpleasant ,do something for yourself. Stay well and keep climbing o.k. See you on the way up!
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    The hardest part is just getting started. You have to make yourself go to the gym or get a workout buddy who will motivate you to go. You have to move! Your body will stop craving those sweets if you start moving it and feeding it all the healthy stuff. But if you really have to have something sweet try strawberries with low-fat choc. syrup. or fresh fruit that you can eat slowly. the slower you eat the more satisified you will feel. Also, exercise will help with the depression.
  • jdhm
    jdhm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know the 100 Calorie Packs are more expensive, but they really help me control my portion size. Take two of those to work with you and use them for your snacks each day. Try drinking a full glass of water before you eat the snack pack. The more sugar that you eat - the more you will want. If you can't quit cold-turkey then slow it down (100 calorie packs for example). Even if you drink diet colas, they make you crave more sweets. Try the water and then the snack. Then get up and walk around the office for a few minutes. If you get yourself a pedometer, if it will make you want to walk more. Don't worry that you're not exercising an hour a day at a gym. Start slow and work your way up in exercise and down in calories! Good Luck!
  • jaleeh
    Options
    I don't really crave sweets but for me it's salt!! Chips are my weakness. I've found that if I eat something crunchy like baby carrots or some celery, it really helps me get over that craving. I try to drink a gallon of water a day too. Whenever I feel hungry, I reach for the water first, plus it makes the pounds DROP off. And I completely agree about the pedometer...it's so motivating. Set yourself a goal on steps for the day and really try to achieve it. This makes you very conscious of how active you are. I understand about the long hours too. I have a long commute + 50 hours a week at the office. I find that if I get ready to work out right when I get home I'm more likely to actually do it. If I sit down, it's all over!! Running really does energize me though. I sleep better and feel better the next day. Ok but here's my real secret....RED BULL RED BULL RED BULL!! The 12 oz. sugar free can only has 15 calories and it really helps me be more active. I drink one everyday on my way home from work before my workout. Hope this helps and good luck!!
  • kimford28
    Options
    Hey there! I totally know how you feel as well. I agree with some of the advice that was previously posted.... the hardest part is getting yourself back into excersising. For me, I don't have time to pack up and go to the gym either. So I wake up 30 minutes earlier every morning... do crunches and dips... and then right when I get home from work I either walk, light weights, or jump rope. Once you get into it for about a week, it will feel strange for you NOT to do it. I also find that by working out a little bit in the morning gives me more energy, and you will feel better about yourself!
  • jill
    jill Posts: 11
    Options
    I have found that books by Kathleen DesMaisons really helped me to understand why I crave sweets. You mentioned you have depression as well, and it helped me to understand the link between food and mood. Potatoes not Prozac is a great book, despite the awful title. They also have a website, radiantrecovery.com.

Not preaching here, just know what worked for me. Or at least helped me understand why I reach for the ice cream!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Jill what a wonderful site. Thank you. I have been trying to get a balance in the things I eat but often find myself craving breads and ice cream. It looks like it has alot of different alternatives. I appreciate your sharing the site.

Eve
  • MissusLola
    Options
    Okay, this sounds weird, but I had acupuncture to help me tame my sweet tooth. I went through a period of super instense sweet cravings. It didn't matter if I liked the food or not, I had to eat it! I had an acupuncture treatment for the cravings, I usually go for my back, and drank a chinese herb tincture for a week. Voila! My sweet tooth was gone for the most part. Now, if I can only be made to want to exercise.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Radiant Recovery is the best website! I use recipes from it all the time (you can essentially print out an entire cookbook on the site)

I was recently diagnosed with a wheat sensitivity, and sense I've quit wheat my sweet tooth is seriously diminished. For me, sweets (at least the ones that I craved) contained wheat, so I think the two were tied together in my craving center.
  • cwalbrj
    Options
    I am so there with you ! I love love love the 100 calorie snack packs. They help both my sweeth tooth and my salty/chip cravings! Definetly worth the extra money.
  • bebe1208
    Options
    THANK YOU TO ALL WHO RESPONDED TO MY POST!! YOU ALL HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL, AND SUPER ENCOURAGING! I FIND MYSELF RE-READING YOUR POSTS THROUGHOUT THE DAY FOR ENCOURAGEMENT! IT'S GREAT TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO CARE!! THANK YOU AGAIN!
  • bebe1208
    Options
    Missus Lola,

What Chinese herb were you drinking? I'm very interested in trying this, as well as the acupuncture. I'm not all that familar with acupuncture or what is involved. Definitely worth checking out though! Thank you!
  • litehalo
    Options
    Hi! I too suffer from depression. I know how hard it is just to make it through the day. It's like you are dragging your body through the motions of life. There are new meds out there that minimize the risk of weight gain and the other unpleasant side effects. I just want you to know that you are not alone in this fight against depression and over weight. You can accomplish your goals! Make the decisions each moment to be successful! It can be as small a thing as taking a 10 minute break at work to walk. Eat that salad. Drink that water. Opt for some healthy snack. Don't eat those last few bites on the dinner plate. Small decisions lead to big changes over time. Don't you give up! You are worth every bit of effort you put into yourself and then some!
  • My savior- about 9:am cut an apple with the instant slicer/core tool have it with a teaspoon of peanut butter it carries me for about three hours. then at 3 o clock maybe a banana with another teaspoon. It seems to keep my body at a level pace throughout the day instead of the moody sluggish feeling that can creep in on you during the day.
    get good stuff like smart balance not the stuff loaded with trans fats etc. remember a serving of peanut butter is 2 tablespoons so use the teaspoon to keep you out of trouble

DON'T FILL THE CANDY DISH!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eonblue
    eonblue Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I ALSO HAVE A VERY LONG COMMUTE. IT TAKES ME ABOUT 1:45 TO GET TO AND FROM WORK VIA BUS AND TRAIN. MY SOLUTION TO WORKING OUT, I JOINED A GYM THAT WAS A FEW STEPS AWAY FROM MY BUS STOP SO I GO RIGHT AFTER WORK, BEFORE I GET HOME AND COMFY AND LAZY. THIS WAS MY ONLY SOLUTION BECAUSE ONCE I'M HOME MY MOTIVATION TO GET UP AND WORK OUT GOES RIGHT DOWN THE DRAIN. SO BRING YOUR SNEAKS AND CLOTHES TO WORK, CHANGE, AND HEAD RIGHT TO A GYM! THAT WAY YOU'LL GET YOUR WORKOUT IN, FEEL GREAT ONCE YOU'RE DONE AND THEN IF YOU DO HAVE A SWEET TOOTH CRAVING LATER THAT NIGHT, YOU DON'T FEEL SO GUILTY. :)
  • eonblue
    Options
    P.S. YOU WONT BE SO EXHAUSTED ONCE YOU START WORKING OUT, TRUST ME. EXERCISE IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOURSELF. JOIN A CURVES. ITS A 30 MINUTE WORK OUT 2 TIMES A WEEK. YOU CAN MAKE SOME TIME FOR THAT IN ORDER TO BETTER YOUR LIFE.
  • eonblue
    Options
    I MEANT 3 TIMES A WEEK...SORRY :)