Should the dinner be light

Options
I have read at many places that having a light and early dinner is beneficial in a weight loss. I needed some suggestions if anyone has experienced it.

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Having a light and early dinner means you go to bed feeling hungry.

It's only helpful if it's an eating pattern which helps you to maintain your calorie deficit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    If you suffer from acid reflux, a light dinner is definitely beneficial. Eating less at dinner has no effect on weight loss that I have ever heard of.

This. Dinner is always my biggest meal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I have read at many places that having a light and early dinner is beneficial in a weight loss. I needed some suggestions if anyone has experienced it.

It doesn't matter other than many people do not count calories so eating a lite meal in the evening is one way of assisting one in creating an energy deficiency...at the end of the day if you can eat XXXX calories and lose weight at whatever target you have then it doesn't matter the timing or size of the particular meal.

A lot of these kinds of things are simply methods people use to control calories...in and of themselves, there's nothing "special" or magical about them. For example, I don't usually eat grains or starches with my evening meal except on weekends...I do this only because I don't log and it's an easy way for me to keep my calories in check...I also have double veg with my evening meal so it helps me get more veg.
  • TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, meal timing doesn't exactly matter too much. Spread your meals out through the day to curb that hunger. If you tend to get more hungry in the afternoon/evening, it's best to say more of your calories for that time.

When it comes to building muscle (which can help you lose fat and not just weight (big difference), meal timing can have a little bit of an effect.

If you're interested in building both muscle and losing fat (quite the task), I'd suggest looking up Lyle McDonald's website; Body Recomposition. He's quite the genius and tends to cite most of his information. But keep in mind that those who are in the fitness/science industry for a long time tend to forget where they've heard what, so sometimes he doesn't cite.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I have most of my food in the afternoon/evening as I know I'm always more hungry at that time of day.
  • dipaktewari67
    dipaktewari67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Suggestions? Stop reading women's magazines.

Hahaha no i don't read them.. But according to some diet plans it's suggested so i was curious that is it true or not :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Not true. Each of us is different.
    Some do well having little food during the day so that they can eat their calories in the evening. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Suggestions? Stop reading women's magazines.

Hahaha no i don't read them.. But according to some diet plans it's suggested so i was curious that is it true or not :smile:

OK - then stop reading about diet plans ;)
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It seems to make a difference for me, although people respond differently. Why don't you try it and see how you feel, and if it is effective? That's the only way to know - what works for some doesn't work for others.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    My dinner is usually 1000kcal, I lose exactly according to plan. As long as eating right before sleeping doesn't make you sick, there's nothing wrong with doing it.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I feel better when my dinner is lighter, but it doesn't always work out that way and it doesn't seem to have any impact(yep couldn't decide on effect or affect) on weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

My tea is the biggest meal of the day.

It's your calorie deficit over the day/week that causes weight loss!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    If you suffer from acid reflux, a light dinner is definitely beneficial. Eating less at dinner has no effect on weight loss that I have ever heard of.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    This. Dinner is always my biggest meal.

Cosigned.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If it works for you...its good

For me...i eat very lightly in the day so i can eat a lot from 6pm to 10pm
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    cappri wrote: »
    I feel better when my dinner is lighter, but it doesn't always work out that way and it doesn't seem to have any impact(yep couldn't decide on effect or affect) on weight loss.

Off topic, but in general you should mostly use 'effect' for a noun and 'affect' for a verb. ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't have acid reflux or GERD, dinner is usually my largest meal, and I often have it shortly before going to bed too darned late for normal humans. It doesn't seem to impede my weight loss as long as my daily calories are within my limits.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    My family eats the evening meal together. It is generally the largest meal of the day for all of us. I like this as it means I don't struggle with hunger late in the evening.