Confused - Need Advice.

Options
Good Evening All,

I am in need of some advice.

I have been doing Weight Watchers since March, currently at a 1 Stone 3 Loss which I don't think is great but then again I have been pretty off plan due to no routine at work since June.

Anyways, to the point... This evening I met with a personal trainer, we discussed my diet demons as well as the positive.

It seems to have come to light that when I am doing Weight Watchers Smart Point Plan I maybe eating too little calories although hitting my points target. He believes this could be why I go off track and get tired and lethargic...

I have just rejoined MFP so I can track on both apps but what is your thoughts? Could he be right? Am I wasting money with Weight Watchers?

Thanks

TC

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yes, consuming too few Calories would likely make you tired and lethargic. So, he could very well be correct there.

I wouldn't say you're necessarily wasting money with WW - but track via both MFP and WW for a week or two, to see how things line up.

I just took a look at the Smart Point plan, and I see how it's supposed to work. Of course, being an engineer that does a bit of analysis, I see some flaws in the plan - at least what is made available to the non-paying public. It's possible those flaws are addressed once you pay, but I'm not sure.

I see your diary is open and that you have a Calorie goal of 1510. That seems reasonable, although I/we don't have all of your stats. I won't worry about that, since your Calorie goal isn't 1200.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My PT is a qualified nutritionist and he totally changed my view on food. There's two problems with weight watchers...1) every food you consume has calories so your "free foods" aren't really free. This means people can go OTT on these foods and actually consume more calories than they should. 2) Some people take free food to the extreme and cut out higher points foods meaning they actually consume dramatically under the feasible amount needed to effectively work your body.

Calorie counting is the oldest, and a tried and tested, method of effectively calculating what your body needs to function. I was on and off Weight Watchers since August 2010 right the way through to March 2016. My weight fluctuated so much and I found it very hard to stay motivated while actually staying within my alloted points...in total, over the 5/6 year period, I only lost 2.5 stone and put it all back on + more. Calorie counting has proven far easier and I can consume more foods, I'm not hungry and I'm not blindly eating "free foods". I've put this to practice since March this year and I'm already 2 stone lighter. That's a massive difference...5 years vs 5 months!! I'm far more motivated to stay on track, I actually enjoy counting calories and I've learnt so much more about my body and what I put in it than I ever learnt on weight watchers.

I'm not saying weight Watchers doesn't work, because for some people, it's been a miracle, but it's clear for me that it doesn't work.

Whatever your chosen method, people on here will support you all the way.
  • AndrewD315
    AndrewD315 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Like your PT's advice, WW can and does work, but for me
    MFP is the way to go. CICO is direct, simple, straight forward and easier.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I would suggest tracking on both apps for a few weeks. It might seem like it's a lot of work but it's worth it. It was a real eye opener for me because I found that I was averaging about 1,000 calories on WW. I didn't even make it two weeks of double tracking before I canceled my WW membership.
  • LessofAJ
    LessofAJ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I dual-tracked as well and found that in WW, I was eating less than 1100 calories. No wonder I was so lethargic! I cancelled WW and vowed to never go back. MFP all the way for me!
  • Royalwood
    Royalwood Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Too low in the calorie department is not a good thing.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    missteric wrote: »
    Good Evening All,

I am in need of some advice.

I have been doing Weight Watchers since March, currently at a 1 Stone 3 Loss which I don't think is great but then again I have been pretty off plan due to no routine at work since June.

Anyways, to the point... This evening I met with a personal trainer, we discussed my diet demons as well as the positive.

It seems to have come to light that when I am doing Weight Watchers Smart Point Plan I maybe eating too little calories although hitting my points target. He believes this could be why I go off track and get tired and lethargic...

I have just rejoined MFP so I can track on both apps but what is your thoughts? Could he be right? Am I wasting money with Weight Watchers?

Thanks

TC

It is why! That is why I left WW in April and joined MFP and have lost 40 pounds since then. I was so hungry at the end of the day on WW. I'm never hungry now and have so much more energy! I will never go back to WW.
  • typeitdaily
    Options
    LessofAJ wrote: »
    I dual-tracked as well and found that in WW, I was eating less than 1100 calories. No wonder I was so lethargic! I cancelled WW and vowed to never go back. MFP all the way for me!

Me too!! No regrets!
  • typeitdaily
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I would suggest tracking on both apps for a few weeks. It might seem like it's a lot of work but it's worth it. It was a real eye opener for me because I found that I was averaging about 1,000 calories on WW. I didn't even make it two weeks of double tracking before I canceled my WW membership.

Same here!
  • missteric
    missteric Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much your advice, I am definitely going to dual track and go from there...

The PT session I had yesterday was free and at the moment it's not something I can afford to continue but was an eye opener and Defo going to look to him when I can afford it