Bariatric surgery (thoughts)

Options
I am 21 and 256 lbs, I have been overweight my whole life and I have tried multiple times to diet and exercise. I lost 65 lbs in 2015 and have gained most of it back. I am looking into having the gastric sleeve (VSG). Thoughts?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is an MFP group. Sadly I can't link from my phone.

I had the RNY and the health improvements are undeniable.

This is a lifestyle change an you will be reminded every day of your restrictions, even if your family forgets. (Food intolerances, how food is eaten).

Find a weight loss team that provides nutrition, lifestyle and psychological supports.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had started the process to go thru the surgery. Luckily my insurance fell through and i didn't have it done. It was years later and MFP taught me that nothing that i was doing would actually result in effective weight loss. All that you need is a calorie deficit. Exercise in itself will not produce enough of a calorie deficit with out spending a good amount of time at vigorous effort. Start by finding your recommended calorie deficit on MPF and take it slow. Losing weight is about doing slow and steady and changing how you see food.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It's drastic and the changes you must make to accommodate it are not fun. I would only do it if all else repeatedly failed.
  • heyaliwood458
    heyaliwood458 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have seen many people get the surgery and have great results. Its really all up to you. For me, I would only suggest it if it were a life and death situation. Just know you can lose the weight without it and either way you'll have to learn a new lifestyle and attitude towards food.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I am 21 and 256 lbs, I have been overweight my whole life and I have tried multiple times to diet and exercise. I lost 65 lbs in 2015 and have gained most of it back. I am looking into having the gastric sleeve (VSG). Thoughts?

This time last year I weighed in at 263 lbs (In 5'4" for reference). I've lost ~45 lbs since September, with about 30 lbs since I switched to LCHF back at the end of March.

Surgery is great in some ways because it immediately and drastically reduced certain comorbidities, but it is pretty much a forever choice, so make sure you're certain it is worth it for you. For me personally, LCHF works because it helps me feel full most of the time, and so I overeat a lot less. I also have a very high risk of T2D (1 in 2 chance in the next 3-5 years even though my bloodwork outside of pregnancy has always been great), so I figured LCHF would help if I did unknowingly become insulin resistant.

Other people find that different macro combinations help them feel full. I suggest trying a few things. You could try high fibre if you want to keep eating carbs.

The main thing is that if you don't figure out what works for you, then even with the surgery you will gain some or all of the weight back. It has its place, but you will still need to do your part to learn how to eat in a sustainable manner.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You've proven that you can lose weight on your own. Just buckle down and do it again. My SIL had bariatric surgery four years ago and with her numerous health problems she's had since, I couldn't see myself going through that.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a life or death medical issue, I wouldn't recommend it. You have to prove that you can eat less and lose on your own along with the surgery. It is only a tool to aid in your weight loss and is not a quick fix. If you don't follow through with healthy eating habits after, you can and will gain weight back.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've seen people do the surgery and have great success.
    I've also seen some who have it, but didn't learn how to maintain their weight loss, and are still overweight.
    Regardless whether you have the surgery or not, it's only a tool. You still have to keep your eating habits in check. It's up to you to decide if the pain and risk of the surgery is worth it, or if you want to lose weight badly enough - and keep it off - that you'll reexamine your eating habits.
    By the way, I don't know how tall you are, but your starting weight is very close to what mine was (241lbs). It can be done..you've already done the weight loss once so you know it can.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I was once the same weight as you (just over 260lbs). This website helped me get down to 170lbs. Weigh food, count calories and it will happen. Don't do 'diets'..
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    What the others are saying is true, based on what I've seen. For some people, it's a reality check that helps them get their mind right. (If yout mind isn't right, the body won't be, either.) Another person I know lost a lot of weight afterwards, then managed to put it all back on.

You're very young. I'm rather hesitant to tell you to jump to surgery.
    As stated earlier, you have lost weight on your own before. The question is why did you gain it back? And that's not to be a slap in the face, I promise! I regularly have to ask myself why I'm wanting to overeat.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I had surgery on 4/27. I'm 37 y/o. 5'5 225 lbs. Currently I'm down to 165. I do not regret having RNY for 1 second. Actully, I wish I would have had it sooner. I feel good. Off all meds. I follow the plan. Feel free to add me as a friend. I will answer any questions you have.
    Good luck!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

What led to gaining it back? Those factors will still be present after the surgery and you'll just have to be a little more creative to eat around it.

I'm all for surgery for people like those on My 600 Pound Life, but assuming you are of average height for a woman you've got about 100 pounds to lose, and lots of people have lost that with MFP - no invasive surgery and all its attendant risks and side effects required.

• JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I follow quiet a few women on Instagram that have had the gastric sleeve done! And have had successful weight loss. ☺️ I would look on there for advice as well.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's not a quick fix and you will still need to drastically alter your diet and eat a lot less than what is normal.

If you have that surgery is permanent and you'll never be able to eat like a normal person again. Is that what you want? Not to even have a choice in the matter. A lot of foods will be completely off limits to your because your new stomach simply won't be able to handle it.

It's not an easy way out, yet it seems to be viewed that way by a lot of people who want the surgery.

You have lost weight before, and you can do it again and you can maintain but it takes a lifetime of dedication..but then the surgery also contains a life time of dedication, difference is at least with losing without surgery you have a chance of being normal.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you don't fix the reason why you overeat a surgery won't help. I started at 280. It's been 101 days and I'm down to 225. You don't need surgery.. especially if you've lost weight the healthy way before. You can do it again
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have a cousin who had the procedure done. She gained everything back, and now weighs over 300 lbs. The surgery is not a fix. You still have to eat a sensible diet to keep the weight off.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's not an easy way out, yet it seems to be viewed that way by a lot of people who want the surgery.

Unfortunately, it's also often viewed that way by people who haven't had it or needed it, people who did it "the natural way," etc. It's like people want to take back the "congratulations" after you tell them you had the surgery. I didn't have surgery, but I see that attitude in my every day life, and occasionally on MFP.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have a date for the gastric sleeve in November. I have decided though that it is so not for me. I came to this decision by reading on line about it, going to 3 different doctors seminars, 3 diff support groups and to two doctor consultations. My son thinks I would be unhappy with it. Try putting a very small amount of food on your fork and chewing 30x, do this about 5 more times and you are now done with lunch. You need to eat a small bite and at a small speed. No drinking 3 oz of water or more in one gulp. One thing I don't get is the average amount of weight you lose is only 60% of your body weight. If I am having that surgery, I would want to lose all the weight I want or need. On your health plan, are you allowed to see a nutritionist? I have not had to much luck with the advice I give but if you can, why not give them a shot. Also a therapist if on your plan and if you can find one who is knowledgeable about food issues, that would be great. There is a lot involved. I am old and have been trying to lose weight ever since my Mom took me to Weight Watchers when I was about 16 with maybe 15 pounds to lose. That started me on the yo-yo all or nothing compulsive overeater. So much time I have wasted and unhappiness in trying to lose weight. You can apparently gain back a good amount of weight with the sleeve. Yes, there are complications if a person is overweight but the complications of the sleeve are more permanent. I would suggest you do a lot of research and then some more. One thing that gets me is that I want to be able to go to a restaurant and eat like a "normal" person; not just to have 8 bites and then feel full, just sit there while every one else is eating and having to explain why I can't eat anymore. Good luck and big hugs