Quick question for runners

Options
Today was w5d3 of c25k for me..the 20 minute run. I finished it; 1.25 miles (slow, I know). Anyway, around minute 14, my feet went completely numb, like I'd been sitting on them and they fell asleep. Just wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has experienced this. It's never happened to me before, but then again, I've never run for a full 14+ minutes, either.

Replies

• bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Nope. Occasionally very minor swelling of hands, but no numbness
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    that happens to me after 20 minutes or so on the elliptical........don't know why but just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one.:smile:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Mine only did it when I wore saucony (sp?) running shoes. I switched shoes and haven't had the problem since.
  • Finney88
    Finney88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Never running, but I've had that happen on an elliptical a lot! I just stop and shake them until they wake up, then keep going.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Mine only did it when I wore saucony (sp?) running shoes. I switched shoes and haven't had the problem since.

Come to think of it it has not happened to me since I bought new shoes...........Try buying new running shoes.
  • crozierb
    crozierb Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I ran xc in college, a girl on my team always got numb feet on long runs, not sure if it went away or if it was her shoes or what.... but it happens to me on the elliptical after about 20 min too- kind of weird!
  • jenannroberts
    Options
    Most of the time it means that your shoes don't fit properly. Are they tied to tight? Are they too big or too small? It is crazy how shoes can make a difference in your run, but they really can.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Sometimes either your shoes are too tight or your lacing is too tight. Your feet will swell up during a workout and if your shoes are too tight, this can happen.

EDIT:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

This link might be able to help you.
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would call your doc.....just to make sure. It is probably an oxygen to area thing but it would be good to know.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    That used to happen to me on the treadmill...I switched shoes and made sure they weren't laced too tight. Hope that helps! I just started running, and I haven't had that problem with my New Balance shoes. Yet. :) I haven't run for 14+ minutes solid so far.

Congrats on the running thing, BTW. Not the easiest thing to start doing!
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yep, it happens to me. I am not a "runner" anymore. But I do high intensity exercises to avoid gaining back the weight I loss from running. It might be the circulation from sitting too long, it might be a pinched nerve and it might be injury related. Always keep stretching to prevent injuries. Our muscles tend to lock up and stay tight ---- I wonder if this causes a pinched nerve.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be that your arch is too high in your shoe, and it is cutting off your pedal veins or nerves on top of your foot causing numbness. Either try to not tie your shoes too tight OR get a shoes with a little less arch.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me on the treadmill...I switched shoes and made sure they weren't laced too tight. Hope that helps! I just started running, and I haven't had that problem with my New Balance shoes. Yet. :) I haven't run for 14+ minutes solid so far.

Congrats on the running thing, BTW. Not the easiest thing to start doing!

Yep, I think there is something to tightening up shoe laces also. I can see how the tightness effect circulation. Keep an eye on your situation and if it persist, call you doctor.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I do tend to keep my shoes tied pretty tight; I'll try loosening them next time. They don't have much of an arch, so I put arch supports in them because I have plantar fasciitis and got shin splints after my second week of running. If loosening the laces doesn't do the trick, I'll try taking out the arches. If that doesn't help, I'll look into new shoes. Thanks again!!