Closet Eating- Who's like me?

Options
So, I am a stress eater, but I am also a bored eater, a happy eater and a closet eater. HAHA

I don't like to let people see me eat outside of regular meals, in particular my husband. It's daft though, because he KNOWS based on my weight that I eat when he isn't around, he's no dummy.

He goes out with the squad once a week, and I stay home with the kids. Once they are in bed, it's GO TIME! I stuff my face and make sure I eat everything that isn't nailed down, while telling myself its only once a week.

I can't be the only one who does it!

Anyway, a friend of mine who lost over 100lbs and has kept it off, suggested that I bust myself. Tell the hubby what he already knows, and admit I eat in secret every time he is away.

Why am I telling you this?? Cause it worked! Four weeks ago I busted myself, and haven't binged since. Every week when he comes home from his lad's night I tell him, HI HONEY, I DIDN'T EAT WHILE YOU WERE GONE! He pats me on the head, and knows that if I don't tell him it means I binged.

Accountability without feeling hounded by him.

It was a simple change, but taking out that binge probably eliminates 2000 cal from my week, every week. That's bound to pay dividends.

Replies

• whitehammer941
    whitehammer941 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Can I add you as a friend? I swear this is me in a nutshell. I eat when I'm bored, happy, stressed, or just when I'm by myself. I have let my BF, who lives with me, know that this happens, but I haven't thought of telling him EVERY time I do/don't do it. Accountability does seem like it would be the quickest way to stop it from happening though!
    Just wanted to pop in and comment that you're not the only one, I do it too! And maybe we can help each other out (: I know it's nice knowing I am not the only one!
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Can I add you as a friend? I swear this is me in a nutshell. I eat when I'm bored, happy, stressed, or just when I'm by myself. I have let my BF, who lives with me, know that this happens, but I haven't thought of telling him EVERY time I do/don't do it. Accountability does seem like it would be the quickest way to stop it from happening though!
    Just wanted to pop in and comment that you're not the only one, I do it too! And maybe we can help each other out (: I know it's nice knowing I am not the only one!

By all means! Happy to help and be helped!
  • MickyMo
    MickyMo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!!! I don't have a husband though to be accountable to. :(
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i try to never let people see when i eat unhealthy foods, like the really junky stuff, fast food, etc. that's why i opened my diary to my friend's list on here. and it NEVER fails, every time i go off and order a pizza or loads of fries someone comments on it. lol. if i fit it into my goals then it doesn't bother me but if it puts me over i definitely feel the shame and knowing that those bad feelings are coming has been a deterrent.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is what keeps me sane
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Definitely me! My theory is if I feel like I need to hide it from my husband, I probably shouldn't be doing it. That doesn't seem to be accountability enough, though. Good on you for allowing your husband to hold you accountable!
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    After closet eating myself into a 30 lb weight gain I realized I wasn't fooling anyone. Clearly while I was nibbling on salads in public I was eating myself silly at home. This is what broke me of closet eating. I realized I wasn't fooling anyone but myself.
  • ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is so candid, I love it. I have done the same in the past but my husband actually never saw me eat at all, but obviously I was haha. I'm gonna add you thank you for your honesty !
  • KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I binge eat as well. It's very embarrassing to me. Now that I'm 45 it is catching up with me. I have a terrible habit of grabbing a book, and eating myself silly while I read. I've been doing it for a while but it's gotten worse with age because I just feel so damned sick afterward. Stuffed until it's painful.

I'm embarrassed to tell my husband. Maybe I should. But I have to figure out a way to stop doing it. It's not as easy to bounce back anymore and I'm hurting myself.
  • DanerTee
    Options
    KimF0715 wrote: »
    I binge eat as well. It's very embarrassing to me. Now that I'm 45 it is catching up with me. I have a terrible habit of grabbing a book, and eating myself silly while I read. I've been doing it for a while but it's gotten worse with age because I just feel so damned sick afterward. Stuffed until it's painful.

I'm embarrassed to tell my husband. Maybe I should. But I have to figure out a way to stop doing it. It's not as easy to bounce back anymore and I'm hurting myself.

I totally binge and read. I had to actually stop reading for a bit to break the habit!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    OP love your post and I sooooo identify with it. I'm sending you a friend request :)
  • tiffanycompton33
    tiffanycompton33 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this post today while I was on a walk. I used to do one big binge probably 2-4 X in a month. It was always the same thing. This was before the days of MFP so maybe out of morbid curiosity I added it all up today. It was always on Sunday. I'd see a mountain of paperwork that needed to be done my bf was at work and it was just me and the house. I'd order from Domino's. I love all things pizza (even though the bender didn't have a pizza). I would eat and gargle and the paperwork would get done. If I wasn't ashamed I wouldn't have thrown out the greasy containers in the outside garbage (No ones gots to know about you!). Then he started getting Sunday nights off. Oh no I can't do my gross thing! But it occurred to me that for the price of that bender (usually 15 with the delivery charge) I could have had a gourmet meal. I could have had something amazing. And now like a regular human being I make sure when we get pizza and all those other yummy items its for more than one person. 1770 freaking calories and that's being modest. I feel like sometimes I would get two containers of dipping sauce. It was pricey both calorically and money wise. It was an unnecessary mess of greasy cardboard foil and individual cups. It was bad on every level. I'm glad I have no interest in eating like this anymore.

breadsticks
    hotwings
    blue cheese
    20 oz coke
    ----
    1770 calories
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I do this. Everyday after dinner when i put the food back in the fridge (i live with my in laws so our fridge in in the garage and the door is broken on it so i have a cooler up against it to keep it shut...broke people problems haha) i grab a mini chocolate bar and sit on the cooler and eat it while no one is around to curb my sweet tooth and overwhelming want for seconds. Or i bring i spoon with me and eat out of the ice cream carton probably around 1/4 cup worth of ice cream haha. Put it usually fits into my calorie bank with barely going over. But i wish id stop. But telling my husband wouldmt do anything he doesnt care when i eat
  • DanerTee
    Options
    my hubby doesn't care what/when I eat either, but *I* care that he knows, so it works for me! haha!
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Cookie monster for sure.
  • LenoA5
    LenoA5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also binge eat. In fact I recently started to acknowledge that binge eating is what I actually do. Despite knowing this I still do it, the only difference being I am angry at myself when it's over. I mean I go to the gym and strength train and then destroy any progress I've made in a couple of days with bad meals/extra meals. I feel like I need structure even on my days off or else I just get bored or anxious or something. I wanted to join overeaters anonymous, like AA, so maybe having support like that will help? Has anyone else done this?
  • DanerTee
    Options
    LenoA5 wrote: »
    I also binge eat. In fact I recently started to acknowledge that binge eating is what I actually do. Despite knowing this I still do it, the only difference being I am angry at myself when it's over. I mean I go to the gym and strength train and then destroy any progress I've made in a couple of days with bad meals/extra meals. I feel like I need structure even on my days off or else I just get bored or anxious or something. I wanted to join overeaters anonymous, like AA, so maybe having support like that will help? Has anyone else done this?

I'm using this forum as a giant over-eaters anonymous! HAHA! Outing myself is the first step in making real progress for me at least!