New Grad Nurse looking for support and motivation

Options
I am new grad nurse and trying to figure out how to adapt to shift life (working 12 hour shifts; short-week, long-week).
Looking for support from other nurses or shift workers on how to achieve eating healthy throughout the day/week and finding the energy and motivation to exercise. .
Add me :smile:

Replies

• jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I sent you a request! I'm technically not a new grad anymore but I'm still dealing with the stress of transitioning into an rn role. I work night shift so i struggle with finding the energy to exercise everyday and get my eating under control at work. I've still been able to lose 25 pounds though!
  • DreBattles
    DreBattles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I sent you a request. I am graduating soon and I work 2 jobs, so I am very tight for time like you. I hope that the few tricks and tips that I've learned on my journey will help you a little :)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    I've been a nurse for about a hundred years. I work 7P-7A 3x/week. I log from midnight to midnight so I reset when MFP does. I did change my food diary to 6 hour blocks --- midnight-6A, 6A-noon etc and I log the food that way, even on days off. I've read posts where people start their days depending on their work schedules and it just seemed too complicated for me. I prelog my food for the day and when I'm at work before midnight, I log it for the next day as well. I bring my own food because the cafeteria closes at 9, although Starbucks stays open and neither appeals to me enough to use calories on it. The hard part are the parties or times people order out. We had a party tonight, I brought cookies I don't care for and did not donate money for the pizza so I didn't have any. (I'm a transplanted NYer so I'm fussy about pizza and don't eat from the big chains anyway).

Exercise wise, I decided when I work 2 or 3 shifts in a row, that those hours between shifts would be rest days. I'll exercise in the morning before the first one and the afternoon after the last one. My unit is a large square so we all do laps around the hall, we know 20 laps here makes a mile, so that's something to do in that rare down time.

Hope some of this helps
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm almost an EEN. (Endorsed enrolled nurse) I graduate in December.
    However I work 3 days a week and drive 90 minutes to school three days a week. I just finished a 6 week block of work placement at the hospital. I had a lot of trouble with logging times as well. I am going to try the 6 hour blocks next time too!!
    Add me if you guys like
  • PinkPaintedLady
    PinkPaintedLady Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I'm with you girl!
  • Lshona
    Lshona Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I work 7p- 7a. I pre log my meals. I bring my own meals to work. I work out 3-4 days a week. I'll add you.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the nurse life. I say pre-log.
  • nhecker
    nhecker Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am also a new grad about to start working night shift. I would love to add people that will help with the transition. I also have a 6 week old so I have a lot of baby weight to lose.
  • StartEveryDayNew
    StartEveryDayNew Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am in nursing school now and have trouble even finding time to work out while studying and tutoring others and working for the Dean. Can't wait to graduate....not that it gets any easier
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I start my last semester in 2 weeks and am super nervous! I would love to have some nurse/student friends as well! I need all the help i can get lol
  • Skylarr
    Skylarr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start studying Nursing in Sept, but work night shifts atm and I pre-log everything before work. Planning and preparing meals for the week is key - that way you know what you're doing and aren't as tempted to pick a quick fix! Feel free to add me :)
  • kylohart
    kylohart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    While I was in school I found it easier to go to the gym because I would end up there after I accepted I wasn't going to be any more productive on homework and such. Which got me at the gym usually around 21:00 and I would be done,home, and in bed by midnight. I also used to do a lot of studying and reading on the stationary
  • invermont25
    invermont25 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    New LPN here. Graduated from an intense 1 year program in June and started the ADN year on Monday. I work 3 12hr night shifts (7-7a) as a sleep tech Friday Saturday and Sunday. I did this through most of my PN year. It was nuts. I went from school to work on Friday and work to class on Monday. I'm 41, have 2 kids, house, dogs, lizards, etc..... The only way I get through it is planning ahead. I put on 20lbs just from going to nights and being more sedentary than I was when I worked day shift and add 10 more to that sitting in class 3 days a week all day...yuck. Of course str so eating is a biggie for me, But I'm getting back at it. I'm determined to stay active this year. Especially because I'd like to continue working nights after I pass my RN NCLEX too. I sent a request too :)
  • JassyRN
    JassyRN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Adding you