Am I really overweight?

Options
According to the BMI thingy, I am officially overweight with a BMI of 25.7

Here's the thing though, I wear a size 6-8. I can run a mile in under 6 minutes, and bike 50 miles and still be able to hold a conversation the entire time.

For someone who had a kid less than three months ago, my tummy's pretty flat. I still have some flab, but it isn't really much. I have a 28 inch waist, and can lift 185 lbs.

Yet, everyone tells me that even though I don't look overweight, I still AM overweight. I don't quite understand it. Could the fact that I've got muscles and J cup natureboobs be throwing it off?

Edited to add: I'm 5'3 and 145 lbs

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    BMI is only one indicator of overall health. You are probably fine unless your physician tells you otherwise. Kudos on being in shape.
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    BMI has to set their limits somewhere... obviously everyone is different. You sound pretty confident in your health, so why would you worry about a silly label?
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    um according to BMI you might be, but body fat% you probably aren't
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Like one poster as already pointed out. BMI is only really a rough estimate over overall health.

It doesn't really take into account body composition.

The boobs and the muscle will definitely effect the number.

I think instead of weight and bmi you might want to look more at body fat percentage.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    oh my. how does your back not hurt:) i wear a size 6 as well and im considered overweight as well. i think the bmi thing is crap. a general range, thats what i would take it as. i dont go buy that. according to that im overweight and i havent been this healthy ever and im perfectly fine. im not saying those tummy pounds i wouldnt mine losing, but the only was you can get a close accurate is from one of those machines you grab onto with your hands and it takes away water and all that stuff. definitely dont take it to heart. im also 5 ft 4 inches and 147
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI thingy, I am officially overweight with a BMI of 25.7

Here's the thing though, I wear a size 6-8. I can run a mile in under 6 minutes, and bike 50 miles and still be able to hold a conversation the entire time.

For someone who had a kid less than three months ago, my tummy's pretty flat. I still have some flab, but it isn't really much. I have a 28 inch waist, and can lift 185 lbs.

Yet, everyone tells me that even though I don't look overweight, I still AM overweight. I don't quite understand it. Could the fact that I've got muscles and J cup natureboobs be throwing it off?

Edited to add: I'm 5'3 and 145 lbs
    I'll be blunt. I definitely think your boobs are throwing it off. It never really takes that into consideration and I definitely think that would throw it off. With the other information you gave, I really wouldn't worry about it. Especially having a 3 month old - you are doing fantastic!
  • Lynwilli
    Lynwilli Posts: 28
    Options
    BMI is only one calculation, it does not take into consideration that muscle weighs more than fat or body builds. Try the waist to hip ratio (another used).Divide your waist in inches by your hips in inches http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-waist-to-hip-ratio.htm -some details on it. Doctors use both, no one thing is right all the time. Unless you do the machines in doctor's offices.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You are overweight by the BMI, but it doesn't sound like you are overfat. As others mentioned, the boobs and muscles are trying things off.

How do you feel? How do you look?
  • pipthegirl
    pipthegirl Posts: 14
    Options
    Honestly, the boobs DO make my back hurt, I'd had a reduction in the past, but getting pregnant bumped them up again to prereduction size. I'm planning another boob reduction in a year or so, which'll hopefully mean I don't need two sports bras, and duct tape to go running.

As for how I look and feel: I feel great, but I don't feel I look great, though most of that has to do with the fact that it is HOT here, the acne I developed during pregnancy hasn't gone away, and the only tattoo I can think of that'll hide my stretchmarks is a tshirt. Or maybe a city road map.

Weight wise? Well, if I wear one pair of jeans, I'm convinced my hips have shifted so far I can't fit through doorways, but if I poke them, and measure them, then I've got almost no body fat there. So I'm really confused as to how everyone else sees me compared to how I see me.

My profile picture is me June 22nd, I don't know, honestly, do I look overweight?
  • Mucky_Duck
    Mucky_Duck Posts: 73
    Options
    And don't forget many elite athletes or sports stars are also consider overweight and obese under BMI. It is a flawed indicator that really has no reflection on your actual health.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could lose 5 more, but I don't you can afford to lose much more. I also have large boobs, and have hoping to lose some there as I lose weight. Thus far, I've lost almost a cup size.
  • ksteak
    ksteak Posts: 6
    Options
    I think you sound like you're at a perfect weight for you anytime, but definitely 3 months post-partum! Seriously, you sound extremely fit.

I love this link. It's something called The BMI project, and I think it's really illuminating about how the BMI standards DO NOT make sense for every body/person.

http://kateharding.net/bmi-illustrated/
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 0, and although I am no longer overweight (even when I was overweight according to bmi, I wore a size 0-1), I am only a sliver away from being considered overweight. ^.^

I would def. agree that your nature's blessings would affect the bmi. I think the most important thing is not so much the bmi number, but feeling comfortable in your body.

If you look good, take the bmi with a grain of salt. It sounds like you already know you are healthy, but I hope this reassurance helps...although, of course I'm not a doctor or anything of the sort xD I am a slight hypochondriac though! xD
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight according to BMI as well, because even though I am wearing a size 6, sometimes an 8, and my weight hovers around the 140 mark (I am 5'5" tall) my waist measurement is disproportionately larger than everything else (chest 35, hips 38, waist 30) I'm certainly not overfat...even though I am in fact trying to lose body fat to get the lean athletic look...but that calculation says I am. So you know what I do with BMI? IGNORE IT. And I completely ignore anyone else who compares their body to a BMI chart. Honestly, don't tell me what your BMI is cause it means nothing to me. The system is flawed. As stated before, body fat percentage is a better indicator of "fatness" than BMI.

Take my fiance for example. He is concidered obese using BMI standards, and fit using body fat percentage standards. Why? Cause he works out and is "thicker" (for lack of a better word, cause he is not really "bulky" just more...built? You know what I mean?) He's no where near fat, but he is in shape and can bench press me easily, lol.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    OMG! I wish I was you,that sounds fab,Id say you can safely ignore the BMI calculator,its your muscle that is weighing and thats a good thing,well done on being so well in shape and after a baby too wow!:smile:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    According to BMI Lou Ferigno is severly Obese.

BMI numbers mean nothing really.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    According to BMI Lou Ferigno is severly Obese.

BMI numbers mean nothing really.

So is Tom Venuto. That's why he advocates ignoring BMI as well.
  • Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree BMI does not make sense for everyone, but I am also a believer that it does count as an indicator for (don't shoot me) most people. I even followed the BMI slideshow link and I would actually agree with about 90% of those labels. Not saying any of those people need to run out and eat more or less, but I think their body shapes do reflect underweight/overweight etc. The question is, can you body look overweight, but you can be healthy? YES. You can look "average" and still be unhealthy. Anyone who is worried should look at lots of measurements, like the hip/waist, BMI, bodyfat %, and most importantly take an honest inventory of your diet and lifestyle. For example you said you can run a mile in under 6 minutes...but how often do you go running and for how long? Or any other activity? Say you eat 1200 cal a day, is that one meal from McDonald's or fruits and veggies all day long. #s are just #s and it's easy to want to throw them away, but it's just as important to look at what they could be indicating. Personally I think you look fine and your body is just working its way through having a baby. That's a major process!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    You know it was coming :smile:

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You are my hero! Work on being fit and the weight will settle in where it should be. But seriously, you are awesome, especially being only a few months post childbirth!! Rock on!