Restaurant Food Dilemma

Options
martinah4
martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
Go ahead and judge me now: I can't stand the taste, texture and smell of seafood. And the thought of eating creatures that suck mud, like crawdads or crawfish makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I spent my childhood in the south pulling those things out of bayous and ditches, and there is nothing endearing about them to me. I should also mention that I'm an Atkins low-carb eater.

So, my dilemma is this: My kids' aunt is getting married in a month, and they are all in the wedding. Her rehearsal dinner is at a Gumbo Louisiana Style Cafe. I took a peek at the menu, and it looks like there is not much I can eat. My husband is insisting that I go, so there will be no using my "Get Out Of A Family Event" free card. Plus, I know it's the right thing to do.

Can anyone help me with what I can eat, that is Atkins-friendly in this kind of restaurant? I haven't caved or cheated at all since February this year, and would really like to stay on my diet. Suggestions are much appreciated!

Replies

• blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know this particular restaurant... but most seafood restaurants still have chicken and steak. Its one meal I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always order some sort of salad...
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate you don't like seafood. I love me some oysters! I'm sure there has to be some form of chicken there.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of seafood, though I've been eating a bit more lately as my husband loves it.
    Is there anything you like - say a mild white fish, like barramundi or snapper (or whatever you get in your part of the world)? That might give you an option.
    Or, most restaurants have a vegetarian option or will make one for you if you ask.
    Good luck!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Menu looks wonderful, there is plenty of salads, beef and chicken. I am sure you can find something to pick at at least ;)
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I'm not big on much in the way of seafood either. I do like salmon, but that's about it.

Anyway-I went online and looked at their menu, and they have steaks and chicken as well. Maybe just a chicken breast and salad or a steak and salad would be in order?
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Call the restaurant now and get the whole menu - they've got to have something.....

Maybe order the seafood salad and pass of some othe goodies to hubby and then bury the rest?!?!? No one will notice!

:flowerforyou: Hang tough and be true to YOU!!!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I will probably go with some sort of steak or chicken with a salad, or maybe go all vegiterrean. I'll ask for my salad dressing and any sauces on the side.