Excerise and blood drive

Options
RachelAngelucci
RachelAngelucci Posts: 13 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Can I play tennis in the morning if I'm donating blood at night? Follow up can I play tennis the following day I donate.

Replies

• Megansmith112712
    Megansmith112712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The morning shouldn't be an issue. Usually they want to give you to rest for 24 hours, but that might jabbed changed. Is been awhile since I gave blood.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Last time I donated blood the suggestion was to take it easy for 24 hours afterward. Donating blood = good karma (& free cookies!)
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Working out before hand is not an issue, but working out afterwards might be. I always feel a little faint for the 12 or so hours after I donate, but usually back to normal by the next day.

Listen to your body, don't push yourself to any extremes.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Working out before is fine! It will depend on how you recover. I know myself I am unable to workout until about 18 - 24 hours after my donation. However, I also have to take Iron to be able to give otherwise I will become anemic. My friend can workout after giving blood and doesn't affect her at all!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I always work out before and I have never had a problem. The usual instructions are to take it easy for the rest of the day, but I find that if I donate in the afternoon, I can exercise without a problem by the next morning (as long as I get plenty of fluids).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Working out before will not be a problem. Make sure you hydrate after donating and you may or may not be able to play the next day. I usually find myself way tired for a day or two after donation. low energy and slow, but my iron is usually barely high enough to donate in the first place. If you don't have iron issues then you may be fine by the next morning.
  • bigme3505
    bigme3505 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I tend to have rather low blood pressure and I've found that the standard "take it easy for 24 hours" doesn't work for me. I'm wiped out for several days and nearly pass out every time I stand up for a couple of days. I have to be really careful about when I give blood because it pretty much derails my life for a while. Anyone else have this issue?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I give a lot. I find that one time I am hardly effected at all, and the next I am wiped out for two days or more afterwards.
    I guess it just depends and I have no idea what it depends on.
    Good of you to donate.
    PS You'll know if you are affected. You'll feel sluggish and your heart will pound more than usual.