Anyone hit a goal below 120?

Options
My goal is 120-118 ish and I think I've convinced myself it's impossible. I would love to hear from anyone who can show me how it's done! Feel free to friend me, diary is open and up to date.

Replies

• AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it is impossible? If you are in a calorie deficit you will eventually reach your goal.
  • spinderellaj
    spinderellaj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So what my brain says is that I don't have enough to lose, that it's going to take forever, that I will never actually keep up a deficit long enough to take off real weight. I can only get there through pretty extreme deprivation, so I might as well eat what I want.

It's tricky like that. The easiest way to show my brain it's wrong is by example. It doesn't quite believe the math.

• MidlifeMe
    MidlifeMe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? If you are tall (like 5'5" or more), that's a pretty low number. Instead of focusing on the number, try looking at how your clothes look, body fat % or other measure that shows your fitness beyond the scale.
  • AnthonyX150X
    Options
    So what my brain says is that I don't have enough to lose, that it's going to take forever, that I will never actually keep up a deficit long enough to take off real weight. I can only get there through pretty extreme deprivation, so I might as well eat what I want.

It's tricky like that. The easiest way to show my brain it's wrong is by example. It doesn't quite believe the math.

Yeah, sometimes your brain can make you doubt yourself, but the reality is if you stay in a calorie deficit you will definitely lose weight. I would suggest not trying to look at the ultimate goal of getting under 120, but break it into smaller goals. For example if you weigh 135, think of getting to 130 first, then try to reach 125 and so on.

Extreme deprivation is definitely NOT the answer. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight. Looking at the big picture can sometimes be discouraging, but what's the rush? You will eventually get there.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Your brain might be right.
  • spinderellaj
    Options
    I'm 5'3, and I do look good, but I have a little extra I'm carrying on my thighs I would like to get rid of. Not a lot but some.

There's no rush...I've been tracking pretty accurately for maybe six weeks just to establish a baseline, and I'm seeing that yep at 1600-1700 daily, I stay right around 129-130.
  • bnovak226
    bnovak226 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.3 too and I feel ya! Currently I'm 144 which is the lowest I have ever been in my life!! (Lol since I can remember weighing and watching the scale) my mind keeps telling me just eat the chips u can't get smaller them this anyway.
  • spinderellaj
    Options
    bnovak226 wrote: »
    I'm 5.3 too and I feel ya! Currently I'm 144 which is the lowest I have ever been in my life!! (Lol since I can remember weighing and watching the scale) my mind keeps telling me just eat the chips u can't get smaller them this anyway.

Thats exactly what my mind says! What the heck!

• AnthonyX150X
    Options
    I'm 5'3, and I do look good, but I have a little extra I'm carrying on my thighs I would like to get rid of. Not a lot but some.

There's no rush...I've been tracking pretty accurately for maybe six weeks just to establish a baseline, and I'm seeing that yep at 1600-1700 daily, I stay right around 129-130.

Losing weight won't necessarily mean you will lose the little extra weight on your thighs. When you lose weight, you lose weight throughout your whole body.

Maybe you should recalculate your calorie goal to see how big of a deficit you are in? With 1600-1700 calories and only a little to lose, it may take longer to get to your goal (which is fine, but maybe not at the rate you are expecting).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 3.5" and 117. The sweet spot for me seems to be averaging about 1400 to 1450 calories a day. I was at 123 for a long time, until I stopped drinking coffee, and all the delicious cream that I put in coffee.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Sort of crazy reading this thread. really?
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am in between 5.4 and 5.5 in profile pic I weigh 115. I slimmed my thighs down by running and I did zumba for fun. I never had a fitness plan just worked out when I felt like it which worked for me but I counted calories religiously for 9 months and never ever went over....except for two days. I stopped because well it seemed a little OCD and I kept it off for two years and have gained 10 pound the last year. So hear I go again counting religiously and working out when I feel like it and with what I like to do. You can do it but it takes a lot of dedication....also cut out alcohol almost all of it.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Stick to a deficit, and you'll get there. It's not impossible, but it'll require patience, willpower, and a fair amount of dedication - as with most worthwhile things in life.
  • spinderellaj
    Options
    Sort of crazy reading this thread. really?

What does that even mean?
  • spinderellaj
    Options
    j1wright wrote: »
    I am in between 5.4 and 5.5 in profile pic I weigh 115. I slimmed my thighs down by running and I did zumba for fun. I never had a fitness plan just worked out when I felt like it which worked for me but I counted calories religiously for 9 months and never ever went over....except for two days. I stopped because well it seemed a little OCD and I kept it off for two years and have gained 10 pound the last year. So hear I go again counting religiously and working out when I feel like it and with what I like to do. You can do it but it takes a lot of dedication....also cut out alcohol almost all of it.

Glad to hear it's possible! Good luck to you this time around - add me!
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    on this site mybodygallery.com you can put in the stats you want to see, and see pictures real women and how they look with those stats. There's a really big difference from person to person even though they have the same stats.
    But this wil confirm for you, that it is possible :-)
    I put in the stats 5'3", under 25 years, and 120 lbs in the link below :-)

http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?gender=female&height=160&age=21&weight=54&pantSize=any&shirtSize=any&bodytype=

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There's no reason you couldn't get to below 120.
    I do see your reasoning though, when I set my goal weight I was aiming for 133lb thinking that I'd be hard pushed to get there. Granted it did take me 6 months to lose the last 5lbs of a 25lbs total loss but I did it and then moved the goal posts to 130 which I've been sitting comfortably at now for several months.
    Where theres a will..... :smile:
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    that is a reasonable goal. I always dream of getting to the 5-4 120 spectrum, (My mum used to say the guide was 5'5 at 125 and 5 lbs down per each inch) so 5'3" should be doable...however, what about fitness, are you doing some? Maybe weight training would give you the shape your looking for although the numbers would no doubt be higher due to muscle weight.
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft nothing and weigh 138 down from 162. My goal is 120 and I prersonally never want to loose my thighs or butt! I think thicker thighs and butt are sexy as hell and show my hard earned muscles from squatting heavy *kitten* weights but that's just me. My goal is to be strong not skinny because muscle curves look hot!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!