Smoothies for weightloss

Options
What are the best smoothies for weightloss? Any ideas..? :)

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ones that help you stay within your calorie goal. There are no magic products but tons of things marketed for it. None are required (and likely most don't help). But people like to make money, so they keep selling and paying others to say they're great.

I personally have a protein shake in the morning because I skip breakfast and it helps me hit my daily protein goal. Others like fruit smoothies, some people hid their vegetables and leafy greens in smoothies because they hate eating them.

There are tons of options if you're looking to add something to your diet, but look at what you're lacking from your actual food intake, then look for recipes. Make sure you log all the ingredients and that it fits in your daily calorie goal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my diary is open and I have a smoothie every morning...about 550 calories with my morning coffee
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I am just going to copy/paste one of my latest blog posts here:

http://blog.pop.fitness/2016/08/08/how-your-juices-and-smoothies-may-be-making-you-fat/

"Okay, maybe that’s a little dramatic. But I see it time and time again, people consuming way too many calories because they think the food is a “healthy” source.

The fact of the matter is, you must control your overall calorie intake, regardless of whether or not the foods you are eating are perceptibly “healthy”. You can easily accommodate calories for a shake, smoothie, or juice… however, these drinks are often not accounted for and can pack quite a caloric punch.

Why it’s not always better to drink your calories

When you are eating whole foods in their natural form they are combined with fiber and micronutrients. When you are masticating your food your body releases enzymes to break down the food you are eating. This food is meant to be broken down over a long period of time in your stomach and the fiber is meant to slow the absorption of carbohydrates into your blood stream.

In addition, the more you chew, the slower you are eating, and the sooner you will feel “full”.

For example, if you tried to sit down and eat all of these veggies/fruits you would likely find it a struggle, whereas you can drink them in a smoothie/shake/juice in 5 minutes with no issues. Where’s the problem with this?

If you were to eat them in whole form you may get a few hundred calories in before you’re full… you can drink a 1,200 calories date-o-rade and be hungry an hour later.

Our hunger hormones aren’t working in our favor when we drink our calories

Our hunger is triggered by a hormone called “ghrelin” which is produced in the stomache/duodenum. This hormone says “I’M HUNGRY FEED ME!” when the stomach is empty. When the stomach is stretched it reduces the hormone to say “okay, i’m full, i don’t need to eat anymore”.

When you are drinking juices or smoothies with a high water content they pass through the digestive system in a very short amount of time. This means that you will feel hungry again in a short period of time because the stomach is not being stretched (which triggers that hormone to stop producing).

The slow digestion of whole foods takes up more space in your stomach causing you to feel fuller longer.

Because eating foods in their whole form takes a longer time and requires a lot of chewing you will feel full sooner and longer.

Still want to drink your calories?

No worries! Just make sure that you account for all the calories in your drink every time. Make sure that your beverage of choice works in accordance with your specific calorie and micronutrient goals. Understand that these might not keep you full for a long period of time so they should not be replacing a meal as you’re more likely to eat additional calories to assist in satiety."

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The question may be wrong. In fact, it is. You lose weight by having a sustained calorie deficit, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. You can eat (and drink) anything you want. No food (or drink) has magical properties. Eat enough food and good food to make you feel good - satisfied, happy, energetic. Weight loss does not mean suffering.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Any smoothie that keeps you in a calorie deficit.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I like to have a green smoothie as an afternoon pick-me-up around 3pm. Spinach, some sort of milk, cucumber, mint, a fruit and a handful of berries with 2 teaspoons of chia seeds. Usually comes to around 190-220 kcal and is enough to keep me going and remove any snack temptation or hunger crash on the way home.
  • naneki
    naneki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate whey protein powder with 4 oz of almond milk, 4 oz water, tbl pure vanilla raw egg, tbl almond butter and 3 tbl vanilla organic yogurt, ice and blend. Taste yummy....that's my breakfast
  • littlemiss1933
    littlemiss1933 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just started this but I make the same smoothie every morning, a handful of spinach, a handful of strawberries, mangos and pineapples (frozen mix), half a banana, Bio Chem chocolate whey protein, a tablespoon of flax seed and 8 oz of plain coconut water... I eat 1.5 eggs with it (the other .5 egg goes to my son) and a small bowl of cornflakes... I'm not necessarily replacing a meal but it holds me for about 4 hours until lunch so I'm not snacking in between, the first few days was hell on earth but now I notice my lightheaded issue that I previously had is getting better and I feel better during the day, so do what feels right, I keep track of my calories too, my problem is eating outside of home but that's another issue lol
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Mm. I often make a green smoothie with spinach and avocado, to sneak in vegetables.

I also like making a protein milkshake. Protein powder, blended with some milk and frozen plain yoghurt.

There's nothing special about them though. You need a calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Smoothies aren't for weight loss any more than anything else we eat is. They make for a snack or a meal or part of a meal, that's all. There's nothing magic about blending up your foods.

That said, they are reasonably fast and I have found myself craving them in the summer (I think I want a cold breakfast because it's been hot and also just burned out on eggs). I usually make one that's around 350-400 calories, and include greens plus (ideally) at least one other vegetable, low cal liquid (cashew milk lately) and whatever fruits I have around that seem like they'd go well together and taste good. Also some sort of herb (lately using sage, really have liked mint, basil, and anise-hyssop too), and protein powder. Basically coming up with different flavor combinations is fun for me.

For me -- and I was surprised by this, because it hasn't always been the case -- they are just as satisfying as eating my vegetable omelet was, and I'm never hungry before lunch. I think this is because I'm in a schedule where I'm used to eating at particular times and don't tend to think about food before lunch.

So anyway, I'm a fan, but there's no special "weight loss" recipe. Just watch the calories and try to get in some protein and vegetables (but then that's my goal for every meal, so if it's not yours, feel free to ignore).
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm currently sipping on a frozen blueberry and banana smoothie mixed with a Skinny Girl vanilla protein shake and Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    According to studies, your brain logs solid foods better than smoothies liquids.
  • SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie most mornings made up of 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 cup frozen mixed fruit, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, and 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds.