Jillian Michael's DVDs

Options
Does anyone do any Jillian DVD's for exercise? I'm starting Body Revolution and I'm wondering how to enter it into MFP? Strength or Cardio? What specific activity do you use? Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have Hard Body and Kickboxing. I enter the Hard body as circuit training since it has cardio and weight training together. and the kickboxing as kickboxing but I have a Fitbit so I just enter the calories I burn.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Virtually all Jillian DVDs are circuit training.....a combination of strength and cardio.

You can look individual DVDs up here: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/153.htm
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I log basically everything I do as Circuit Training as everything I do incorporates strength and cardio (as does JM's Body Revolution). I would suggest you get a HRM so you can figure out how much you're actually burning in the way of calories, though. MFP tends to over-estimate your burn.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I log basically everything I do as Circuit Training as everything I do incorporates strength and cardio (as does JM's Body Revolution). I would suggest you get a HRM so you can figure out how much you're actually burning in the way of calories, though. MFP tends to over-estimate your burn.

HRMs are designed for steady state cardio......so they won't be terribly accurate either.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

HRMs are designed for steady state cardio......so they won't be terribly accurate either.

That's incredibly false. With circuit training, your heart rate is constantly being bounced back and forth when you're juggling between cardio and strength. HRMs monitor this type of exercise wonderfully. They're great for CrossFit and HIIT Training, as well. I don't know where you got this impression, but it's not right.
  • RebeccaB0416
    RebeccaB0416 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Circuit training it is.
  • TeaBea
    Options

That's incredibly false. With circuit training, your heart rate is constantly being bounced back and forth when you're juggling between cardio and strength. HRMs monitor this type of exercise wonderfully. They're great for CrossFit and HIIT Training, as well. I don't know where you got this impression, but it's not right.

Nope. I got that impression from reading dozens (hundreds) of posts here (see link below). No one with any experience (here) has stated that heart rate monitors are good for Hiit, circuit training, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

• Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Virtually all Jillian DVDs are circuit training.....a combination of strength and cardio.

You can look individual DVDs up here: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/153.htm

What about her beginners shred dvd? I always log that as aerobics low impact. It says at 20 minutes I've burned 150 at 199 lbs. I've been assuming that was accurate.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What about her beginners shred dvd? I always log that as aerobics low impact. It says at 20 minutes I've burned 150 at 199 lbs. I've been assuming that was accurate.

I'm curious about this DVD too as I own it but have yet to actually DO it :)

• Verchild
    Verchild Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You should talk to @lilsteig she uses those too. Just yesterday infact!
  • TeaBea
    edited August 2016
    Options
    keharty wrote: »

I'm curious about this DVD too as I own it but have yet to actually DO it :)

Data from website linked above

Jillian Michaels Beginner Shred
    Instructor's name: Jillian Michaels
    Type of Workout: Aerobics & Toning (Low Impact Modifier, Total Body Toning)
    Fitness Level: Intermediate
    Equipment Needed: Hand Weights
    Total Running Time: 72 Minutes
    Release Date: 2014

So - yep.......circuit training

As far as calorie burn I can't tell you what is accurate. Many MFP users will eat back 50-75% of exercise calories. Pick one number, use that awhile. Then adjust the percentage up or down as weight loss progresses. There are so many estimates - for example your activity level is a range not just one number.