Women using Timex T5G971 HRM

Options
I recently bought one of these (Timex Unisex Sports personal heart rate monitor watch with chest strap) and noticed that the calories burned reading is always WAY higher than MFP and CardioTrainer calculations. I also input my average heart rate here: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm and those three are all about the same.

The only difference I can see is that the "unisex" HRM does not ask for male/female - just weight. On the calculator site I changed to male from female (heh) and the calories went way up, just about matching the Timex reading.

Anyone else use this HRM and have similar issues?

TIA!

Replies

• atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kellyd23
    kellyd23 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. My heart rate stays between 160-170 while running a mile.....it's saying like 3 times the amount as the treadmill is saying.. I have heard so many good things about this model, but i just can't believe I could possibly be burning THAT much more than what the machine is saying!??
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Yeah I may try to give Timex customer service a call to see if they know what's up but I have a feeling it is defaulting users as "male."
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Thats the primary reason I returned this HRM.. because the calorie count was way crazy! I walked on a treadmill for 30 min at a 15% incline at a speed of 3.0 miles per hour and it said I burned 580 calories!

After talking to my trainer I decided to return it and save for a polar... and its such a shame but it was recommended so highly by consumer reports!
  • MeganBeezy
    Options
    I just got this watch. It had great reviews and all but now I'm really reconsidering. I tried it out today and I could only wish that this calorie count was correct. It's about double compared to other calculators. But you'd think it was the most accurate since it's the one calculator that's counting your heart beat, wouldn't you??

Did anyone ever find out how to fix this? I'm going to be sad if I have to return it and save for a more expensive one....
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just got this watch. It had great reviews and all but now I'm really reconsidering. I tried it out today and I could only wish that this calorie count was correct. It's about double compared to other calculators. But you'd think it was the most accurate since it's the one calculator that's counting your heart beat, wouldn't you??

Did anyone ever find out how to fix this? I'm going to be sad if I have to return it and save for a more expensive one....

You can't fix it, thats the thing. For an as accurate as possible calorie count, you need to input age, sex, weight, height and Vo2max, and of course you're heart rate.

This Timex watch only lets you input weight and max heart rate. Since men burn more then women, taller people burn different then short people, and Vo2max changes as you get more fit, it's essential that you have those items.

From what I've read, all Timex watches are like this.. which lead me to believe that they are all inaccurate. Just return it and save for a Polar.... You'll be much happier.

Plus amazon is having really good deals on Polars right now.. and you can get the entry level FT4 with a much more accurate calorie count for what you paid for the TImex.