Heart rate monitoring watches

Options
I'm looking for more information on those of you who have owned or use heart rate monitoring watches to track you calorie expenditure etc.. What have your experiences been? I can see it being really motivating to track it accurately.. Is this the case?

Replies

• MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit Blaze and like it overall. I haven't done any sort of scientific testing on it, but it seems accurate. Accurate enough, at least.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've got a Fitbit Charge HR and love it. like Mrs Lannister i haven't done any comparison testing but i reckon it's fairly accurate with my heart rate.
  • Damien_K
    Damien_K Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Fenix 3 HR watch and it has been really good so far. You can use it for running, swimming, hiking, cycling, snowboarding...heck the list just goes on.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Remember that HRMs are heartbeat counters and not calorie counters!

Polar FT7, nice watch, poor reliability, low level of functionality, short lifespan to sudden death!
    Calorie counts probably overestimated by 10 - 20%, worst over-estimating when starting out not particularly fit.

Polar FT60, OK watch, good reliability, nice functionality, ability to customise/personalise settings. VO2 max estimator is a nice feature.
    Appears very accurate for calorie estimates (*) once properly calibrated for my particular heartbeat range and VO2 max when used for an appropriate exercise under suitable conditions (only!). I had my true max HR and VO2 max tested in a sports science lab by the way.
    (* = when compared against power meter equipped trainers.)

Garmin Edge cycle computer and HRM - reliable as a HRM. Calorie estimates generally on the low side varying to very low estimates for lower intensity long duration rides.

Forget tracking calories as "accurate" and aim for "reasonable" when used with a bit of common sense. All of the above gave usable calorie estimates in that there was enough consistency and proportionate to my effort if not accurate.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit HR. I wouldn't say it's any more or less accurate than any other heart rate monitor, but it's good enough for my purposes. Keep in mind the heart rate function won't always work if you are a person who does hard exercises in hot weather which cause you to sweat a lot. I found that could be easily remedied by slipping a piece of a thin cleaning cloth between my arm and the sensor right before hard workouts. It does not impair heart rate tracking and solves the issues caused by sweating.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and as of last 15 days a Fitbit Surge. I am very happy with both of them, I wear my Fitbit everyday all day long to track my total expenditure of the day plus my workouts and I now have kept the Polar FT4 for only these days when I decide to hit the swimming pool (fitbit cannot be worn during swimming).

Honestly, heart rate monitors are the best fitness / exercise accessory I need! It really motivates me to do more and I have learned to train in different zones (aerobic, anaerobic).

Please take into consideration that no HR watch is 100% accurate but they're definitely more accurate from the generic MFP exercise entries and they are a great tool if you want to train indifferent heart rate zones.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Vivoactive HR after upgrading from the Fitbit. It tracks all my exercise (including swimming), as well as my day to day activity. I have my activity levels on MFP as sedentary, so all my steps and stairs add to my daily total.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 110. Yep, it's old, with a heart rate chest strap. I only use it during my runs. My heart rate really doesn't change that much during the day.

During my runs, I use heart rate to keep my pace at the desired speed for the work out performed. During the day, my I-Phone keeps track of my steps and I log other exercise in as it occurs. I also just log my runs as steps perhaps keeping the total depressed but it works for me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm looking for more information on those of you who have owned or use heart rate monitoring watches to track you calorie expenditure etc.. What have your experiences been? I can see it being really motivating to track it accurately.. Is this the case?

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR. The GPS is not as accurate as I'd like, especially when I'm surrounded by tall buildings or dense tree cover. For example, I didn't actually ride through the raised garden:

16740379778_64e84943d1_o_d.jpg

On the other hand, it does a much better job in burn zones, where there are no leaves or branches.

18182759656_ff37cee0cb_o_d.jpg

It's more accurate at higher speeds. I almost always get better tracks from cycling than walking.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin VivoActive HR, just upgraded from the VivoSmart HR, and I really like the unit. It's basically the Fenix 3 HR Jr.

The biggest thing to remember when you're using a GPS watch with a HRM.
    1) The Optic HRM will be slower and more choppy than a Chest Best HRM for longer endurance activities.
    2) The Optic HRM will be pretty much useless during strength training exercise due to the muscle flex.
    3) All Caloric Burn is guesstimates anyway. Nothing is gospel truth when it comes to eating and burning calories.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 235 and I think the heart rate is pretty accurate but I find the calories burned to be inaccurate. At the end of some days it says I've burned over 3000 calories and I don't think that's true, I'm only 5'1". For example it told me over 3000 on Saturday and I did go for an hour long run and I walked through the mall shopping a couple hours, but that still seems like a lot.
  • tjhovey
    tjhovey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivosmart HR, and while it's fairly accurate, I find the more active I am, the less accurate it is (maybe because of position/movement/sweat?). I compare it to my HR strap, and there is often a difference.

That being said, I still like it and keep using it because it's more convenient and comfortable than a strap, and it tracks all day (HR while sleeping/resting HR is an important number).