2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP take your weight now and multiply that by .8? Perhaps start with that much protein. And the rest fats and carbs. Do not over think this process. There is no magic formula, diet or strategy to follow other than make sure your protein is ample enough to preserve muscle mass as I talked about earlier and keep your deficit in low/moderate, not aggressive. Set up MFP to loose x pounds a week and custom setup the protein setting. That's it. Eat and lift. Enjoy the process.

The link I provided gives you a lot of structured strength training plans to use for researching what you can select from based on your equipment you have/ or planning to go to a gym or doing the body weight to start with, etc.. and making and forming a plan.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank you very much! I am going to try to do some trials with this, and start lifting for a couple weeks. I know I focus too much on my scale, and I panic when it goes up. I will have to not weigh myself for that period of time so I SEE results in my body and not worry about the scale, cause I know it will go up and down, at first. At least that is what I would expect until I adjust and start to built muscle that in turn should burn fat?

I will definitely be looking at this link.

OP there is some thing variables to think about. You will not see any measurable results in a couple of weeks. Again this takes time. Secondly you may see weight gain in WATER in the scale fairly quickly from strength training. It is completely normal and is NOT fat.

If you are a scale monger LOL.. then you may need to make some peace with the scale and day to day fluctuations and perhaps do this very very slowly as you (your mind) adapts to this new process.

I find taking body measurements sometimes helps with scale mongering (love that term btw). Currently I am doing weekly measurements. Though more often than not it's every two weeks lol.

Great point.

I do measurements monthly, scale weight daily (use a trending weight app), pictures monthly (same clothes or lack there of..LOL) ...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    [

OP there is some thing variables to think about. You will not see any measurable results in a couple of weeks. Again this takes time. Secondly you may see weight gain in WATER in the scale fairly quickly from strength training. It is completely normal and is NOT fat.

If you are a scale monger LOL.. then you may need to make some peace with the scale and day to day fluctuations and perhaps do this very very slowly as you (your mind) adapts to this new process.

yes, I try to only weigh once a week. When I know I am bloated or am retaining water, I can resist, so I am not as bad as some for sure, BUT when I DO weigh and its not what I want, I do beat myself up for the day.

I am going for it for sure. I already changed my weekly loss goal and it changed my daily intake to 1400sum a day, but I still don't know how many of the workout calories I should eat back. I feel like I usually have quite a bit left over. (except once a month when I can't hardly control myself).

Now the work is going to be the mind over matter with myself. I will measure to make sure I can have something to keep me from giving up.

I am going to make a suggestion.. perhaps use your scale to trend your weight daily or weekly. Like Libra, Weightgrapher, Happy Scale etc. This will help you with the day to day, weekly fluctuations that occur in your weight. When trying to put on muscle (body composition/lifting weights) seeing things on the scale clue me in on what time of the month it is, something changed in my eating, or exercise (intensity/volume) changed or upped the weights, sodium and even hydration and lack there of all show on the scale,, And if you do not eat enough, this too will show (meaning your deficit may be too aggressive) puts the body through stress and you will hold on to water.. no doubt about any of this!
  • prettypeach790
    prettypeach790 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I am going to make a suggestion.. perhaps use your scale to trend your weight daily or weekly. Like Libra, Weightgrapher, Happy Scale etc. This will help you with the day to day, weekly fluctuations that occur in your weight. When trying to put on muscle (body composition/lifting weights) seeing things on the scale clue me in on what time of the month it is, something changed in my eating, or exercise (intensity/volume) changed or upped the weights, sodium and even hydration and lack there of all show on the scale,, And if you do not eat enough, this too will show (meaning your deficit may be too aggressive) puts the body through stress and you will hold on to water.. no doubt about any of this!

So should I start weighing daily from the beginning, or do you find it better to start weighing daily after a couple weeks?

Also, do you have a suggestion on how many workout calories I should eat back?

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    janegalt37 wrote: »
    Try this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300359/most-helpful-posts-success-stories-must-reads#latest

After you read several of these enjoyable threads, you will start to see a pattern: ladies begin by eating very little and doing cardio for hours each week. *Interesting things happen here.* Then those ladies end by eating a satisfying amount of food, lifting 3 hours a week, often saying they wished they had started lifting way sooner, and in general leading more active lives because they just FEEL like going out and doing things, instead of forcing themselves to be active. It's a good place to start. B)

^This is so true.