Healthy calories wanted!

Options
Black_Swan
Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
Hello my pals!
I am in maintenance and trying to hit 1700 calories net these days. So I eat my usual salad-wholegrain-chicken breasts/tuna stuff and then go for my run... and suddenly I have 500 calories more to eat. I eat back my exercise calories, so...
I am asking for advice:

I need food that is:
healthy and natural
doesnt have to be prepared too much (Im a lazy cook really...)
is relatively cheap
can have more protein and less fat
and is CALORIC

So I need a fast easy healthy and cheap solution to my calorie deficits. All I can think of now is peanut butter.
I live in Central Europe so if you have some USA special products in mind (like some typical brands) - its useless... tell me the food, not the brand please:)!

I never thought id have a problem with this, but I got so used to my 1200 calories without exercise, that now Im so lost. My habits have changed and so my nutrition has to change!

Replies

• reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Raw salt-free almonds or walnuts are my favorite fill-ins for calorie deficits
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    The peanut butter is a good idea, and I love it on whole wheat crackers. Just watch the sodium.

Fruit is high on my list, and extra calories would have me adding some berries and low-fat yogourt as a treat.

Another favourite of mine is a slice of toasted rye bread, with a bit of low-fat cheese. Quick and tasty, with a bit of fibre and lots of flavour.

and greek or meditteraian style yogourt. High protein, lower in fat, very tasty. Great with those berries!

Nice problem to have!
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    peanut butter or almond butter with:
    apples
    celery
    banana and toast

hummus with:
    carrots
    crackers

a handful of pistachios or walnuts or almonds
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to make calorific homemade smoothies. Throw some milk/almond milk/juice (whatever your choice would be) into a blender, you can add anything from PB to uncooked oats to various types of fruit and even spinach, flax seeds, yogurt, etc. (I'm sure you get the picture). I don't think I've ever had a *bad* homemade smoothie, even with some odd combinations. My standard smoothie is milk & fruit, with one or two of the other things (flax seed, PB, etc.) mixed in. Cocoa powder and cinnamon make great flavoring. It's easy to get 300-500 calories, depending on what you put in it.

They're quick and easy, and pretty darn fun to experiment with in my opinion!
  • jenlw88
    jenlw88 Posts: 71
    Options
    I have been combining some my food made a tasty treat. My partner loves it and I love it. One is my version of fruit salad since I don’t like every fruit and my partner doesn’t either. I cut strawberries into pieces, cut apples into lengths, add cantaloupe slices, watermelon slices, grapes, and cut my banana in circles then mix up to a bowl then I got my fruit salad. For snack if I am tired of bread I use wheat flatbread. I spread any kind peanut butter on my flatbread and make sure it cover then cut my bananas into circles and place them down the middle. Then fold over to where cover the bananas sand fold the other over. There my way to peanut butter and banana wrap. I made a healthier way to eat strawberries and bananas without the juice. Just cut the strawberries into small pieces and bananas into pieces in put them in a bowl, and then u got strawberries and bananas without the juice. I have discovered a wonderful drink mix called crystal light strawberry and banana hunger control. It helps my partner and I get full fast. Anything else I should try just message me or post it. May god bless u. I need some inspiration so I can share to my partner.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    edamame (soy beans) they are precooked in the freezer section, you just defrost in microwave or thaw in fridge. Grab a few each time you open fridge with munchies. a serving is 100 cal and soooo healthy (and yummy)
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    nuts of any type (unsalted). beans (not canned, dry). lean meats, cheese. raisins (or prunes bluck). banana, large pear's (had a pear yesterday that was 120calories) Cup of grapes is 110calories; could have 2 cups as a snack. Rice is 160calories for 3/4cup cooked (but i like my serving to be 1cup at 200calories). Potatoes-- 1 small potatoe that weighs 5.3oz uncooked is 110calories, but if you had a large potatoe you could easily double those calories. peanut butter can be put on fruit, whole grain breads, etc.

can combine some of these foods to create a really high calorie item--like raisins in rice for sweet rice, or cheese/chicken/beans/rice/avacado might make a burrito, or banana+peanut butter could be a dessert, or black beans and rice is a southern dish, etc etc.

im not sure about protein vs fat etc, but those are high calorie foods i can think of that are natural and no sodium (except cheese and meat).
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Um, lima beans? The frozen ones I have are 220 cals per cup of beans, 0g fat, 12g protein.

Edit to add: Also 10g of fiber in that cup.....in case you need more of that too, haha.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Oh one more...not super caloric, but high in protein and low in fat.....

Special K Protein Plus Cereal, 1 cup 133cals, 4g fat, 13g protein
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter and jelly on whole grain bread - lots of calories, no effort, and chocolate almond milk (good for refuleing after a run if you can afford the calories). You can also make homemade smoothies with plain or vanilla almond/soy/rice milk (or skim/low fat cows milk) and fruits of your choice. Low-fat cheese (like part-skim mozzarella). Cereal with skim milk. Granola (look for kinds sweetend with fruit juice, not the sugary kind.
  • NYgeorgiapeach
    Options
    I have the same exact problem. I feel like I have to be constantly eating in order to meet my goal. My solution, iced coffee drinks. They are super easy to make and taste amazing :)
    I personally put
    1 c coffee
    2 scoops of protien
    1 tbsp of creamer (I personally use peppermint, it tastes so yummy with chocolate protien)
    and half a tray of ice
    blend it all together and you've got an easy snack :) This makes 2 drinks for me, so I drink one before and one after my workout