Overdoing the protein...

connie_moothart
connie_moothart Posts: 4
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been using MFP for only two days now, but both today and yesterday I ended up eating way to much protein! I had enough calories left, for sure, and nothing else was over my allotted amount. I don't know if this is actually something I should be worrying about or not (I'm new to the diet/exercise scene) but I don't want it to become an issue.

Do any of you guys know ways that I can still be full and not be eating too much protein? Am I being silly for worrying? In other words: HELP!

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    I'm almost always over protein...as I should be doing 150-170g of Protein a day with the diet I'm on until I get around my goal weight.

The biggest thing the MFP is they have one set profile for eating and calorie/nutrition intake....they don't konw YOU and what you are trying to accomplish.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    MFP generally gives people a really low goal for protein. I don't think I've ever had a single day where I didn't go WAY over.

There isn't really such a thing as too much protein. I know guys working on building muscle that do close to 200 grams per day of protein.

The only downside to it is that it might make you constipated if you are eating a ton of protein and not enough fiber.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    I'm always over protein. Today I had double the amount I needed. It doesn't bother me at all though.
  • mikeyken
    mikeyken Posts: 118 Member
    There are quite a few diets out there that really promote a high protein, lower carb diet. That's what I am trying to do right now so I also am always over. There is a way to go in to your goals and manually change your protein higher if the red bothers you, but I know I want to overdo the protein so i don't let it bother me much.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    I'm always over on my protein too, but as others have said, the bar is low here. I just try to make sure my other nutrients are in the right range and don't worry.
  • DaveROK
    DaveROK Posts: 1
    Protein is good for your muscles. Im not too sure why MFP has their daily recommended protein intake so low, but as long as youre under your calorie intake you'll be burning more fat than muscle. I really dont recommend going under the daily protein intake. If you lose muscle mass, your body will burn less calories when youre in rest/ not active. As one of the other users said earlier, just be sure to watch for constipation. Staying hydrated can counter that.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    As people above me have already stated: The default settings of MFP are quite low on protein. Fortunately you can change the settings to fit the way you want your diet to be composed.

If you go to:
    - Goals
    - Change Goal
    - Custom

You will have the option (among a lot of other options) to specify what percentage of your daily energy intake you want to come from protein, fat and carbohydrates.

My settings at the moment are 30% protein, 20% fat and 50% carbohydrates, and if I recall right, the default settings are somewhere around 20% protein 25% fat and 55% carbohydrates - so changing the default settings to a composition that suits your philosophy may be a good thing to do.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    I'm almost always over protein...as I should be doing 150-170g of Protein a day with the diet I'm on until I get around my goal weight.

The biggest thing the MFP is they have one set profile for eating and calorie/nutrition intake....they don't konw YOU and what you are trying to accomplish.

I agree and it happens all the time to me despite having a high blood pressure but I still keep on losing weight. The downside only is that it can lead to hypertension if you don't have it. But as long as you exercise, it can help neutralize it.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    I changed my settings because I eat lower carb and higher protein/fats. That way I don't have to see those ugly red numbers! ;)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Going over in protein is fine. Imo its more important to keep calories, fat and sodium in check.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I changed my settings because I eat lower carb and higher protein/fats. That way I don't have to see those ugly red numbers! ;)

I changed my goals manually as well. I think that MFP allows too many carbs and fat and not enough protein for my body to lose fat. You just have to play around with the numbers to find your own sweet spot, but yes, definitely change the goals after researching what ratios would work best for you.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member
    Just read this today, wondering if anyone has any additional information or ideas on this subject?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/467851-high-protein-diet-hypertension-hyperlipidemia/
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    I upped my protein percentage and now I never quite reach it, but I also take into account guidelines from various other sources, so I figure within a certain boundary I'm alright. I don't pay too much attention to the nutrients page, I just use it to see what I'm putting into my body.
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    I agree with previous posters - I belive the MFP default is 65% carbs, and only 20% protein - which is a bit out of whack with many people's goals on here - especially if they are trying to gain muscle and/or muscular strength, if you are trying to lose weight, I would recommend that you change the defaults to either 40 or 50% carbs and up the protein and 15-20% fat. Good Luck and welcome to MFP!!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    I really think that MFP is right-on with their protein goal. I recently wrote a paper on vegan nutrition, and one thing that I addressed was "the protein myth" and how 48-60 grams of protein is about all that my body (and many women with simular stats as mine) needs.
  • stephnsuarez
    stephnsuarez Posts: 68 Member
    Same here! I am vegan and have spoken with my doctor and I get about 50-60 grams a day and it's perfectly fine, so I'm sure if you go over you're allotted amount that's okay too! My issue is keeping the calories, fat and sodium down :)
  • Thanks you guys! I really appreciate all the input! I think I'll go tinker with my settings now...
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    I get about 50-70 grams of protein a day normally since I eat a mostly vegetarian diet. Works fine for me, I am fairly certain I do not need anymore than that.
This discussion has been closed.