Ok to start with machines at gym?

Options
Trying hard to up my exercise and keep what muscle I have left. I would eventually like to work up to free weights but am sadly out of shape. Is starting with the machines (where I feel less intimidated) okay or are the machines just a waste of time? I'm thinking something is better than nothing at this point?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I started with free weights and a structured program. Machines are not going to give you the same as free weights.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I started with free weights and a structured program. Machines are not going to give you the same as free weights.

No I get that but I'm just trying to get a starting point.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you want a starting point look into all pro beginner routine or stronglifts 5x5 ..both are free weights, but they are great beginner programs that will give you a good intro to compound movements, and build a foundation of strength...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with machines for a couple weeks to get the ranges of motion down and what not. I wouldn't go much longer than that if you want the maximum benefits. That being said, the machines will still give you better results than nothing.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    They're certainly not a waste of time. It's much better to start with something you are comfortable doing (so you actually do it) than starting with the perfect program (that you won't actually do).

That said, many gyms are very welcoming and I think you might be surprised if you just bring in your daily program sheet and do what you have to do. It's sort of are you the type to dip your toes into the pool or do you just jump in. Find what works for you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Here's Lyle McDonald's beginner machine program: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    I've worked with a trainer 2x/wk and lost 50 lbs over two years. We do free weights, but also machines such as:
    seated hamstring curl, seated rows, leg press, deadlifts on the Smith machine, triceps pushdowns and/or triceps overheads, pull-up machine, chest press...that's quite a bit, actually :p
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The intimidation will dry up quickly if you have a good plan and learn what you need to do. In fact you'll probably know more than a lot of the meatheads there. Most people in gyms are focused on themselves anyway, so you're just background noise to them. A good program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. :+1:
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It's fine. Here's Lyle McDonald's beginner machine program: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

Oh I like that!
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I do most of my work out on machines. I have gotten so much stronger using them, I don't know why some people think they are a waste of time. You're lifting weights, and the machine helps you with form. I also do free weights, but nothing wrong with machines - especially cable machines.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I do most of my work out on machines. I have gotten so much stronger using them, I don't know why some people think they are a waste of time. You're lifting weights, and the machine helps you with form. I also do free weights, but nothing wrong with machines - especially cable machines.

machines, typically, do not work your stabilizer muscles and they typically do not help with form as the machine is assisting you with the lift, or putting you in the incorrect position - see learning to squat on the smith machine.

I incorporate some machines into my routine, but I focus my lifts around the big compound movements - squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press...
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Feistycat wrote: »
    I've worked with a trainer 2x/wk and lost 50 lbs over two years. We do free weights, but also machines such as:
    seated hamstring curl, seated rows, leg press, deadlifts on the Smith machine, triceps pushdowns and/or triceps overheads, pull-up machine, chest press...that's quite a bit, actually :p

deadlifts on the smith machine????? :#
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

The bolded is the main issue. Due to the "help" the machine offers, you don't use (at least, not as much) stabilizer muscles. In addition, the machines can sometimes - depending upon design - make one use a form that isn't natural. That unnatural form means the muscle(s) don't get used properly.

That said, machines are usually fine, provided you understand the above limitations. If you stick to machines, you'll have to do more exercises (generally speaking) to get something resembling equivalent results of free weights.

• JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Feistycat wrote: »

deadlifts on the smith machine????? :#

I really hope there is a reasonable explanation as to why someone would do that. Then again, I watched a legit meathead do deadlifts in the squat rack on Monday. We have two separate bars placed in the gym specifically for deadlifting, with the rubber weights and all. But he, and the chick he is training, did them in the squat rack. :|
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and yes, starting with machines is perfectly acceptable. I prefer free weights myself, but my gym wife always uses the machines. Definitely better than not lifting at all.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

The bolded is the main issue. Due to the "help" the machine offers, you don't use (at least, not as much) stabilizer muscles. In addition, the machines can sometimes - depending upon design - make one use a form that isn't natural. That unnatural form means the muscle(s) don't get used properly.

That said, machines are usually fine, provided you understand the above limitations. If you stick to machines, you'll have to do more exercises (generally speaking) to get something resembling equivalent results of free weights.

Well, I can honestly say that my core is stronger than it has ever been, using cable machines. I do trunk twists, and several other seated exercises that require me to use my core muscles to stay seated on the stool. But then I'm also disabled and can't do deadlifts, squats, compound moves, etc. I'm very happy with my strength from using the machines. My legs have even gotten stronger since I have to use what little leg muscle I have to also steady myself. But to each their own.
  • FLBeachluvr
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Just looking for a starting point. Once I feel a little better about my abilities I plan on paying for a few training sessions on free weights so I can make sure my form is correct and that I know what I'm doing. The last thing I want to do is injure myself.

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with machines, they serve their purpose...I use them now whereas I didn't before, for example I can't do heavy squats anymore due to knee and back issues to I use the leg press.

Start with machines, when you feel more confident try free weights.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    While free weights do offer some additional benefits starting with machines is fine. Depending on how well equipped your gym is you can do practically every exercise with a machine that you can do with free weights.

I have read in a number of places that squatting in a smith machine isn't a great idea as the bar only moves in a fixed plane and having seen people at my own gym doing it I can say that it doesn't look right, if you squat in a rack you can bail out if you need to (when you first start you wouldn't be lifting to failure so that shouldn't be a problem)

Have a look at the Stronglifts 5 x 5 program. It's really straightforward, 5 lifts separated into two workouts, and you start with an empty bar.
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options
    While free weights do offer some additional benefits starting with machines is fine. Depending on how well equipped your gym is you can do practically every exercise with a machine that you can do with free weights.

I have read in a number of places that squatting in a smith machine isn't a great idea as the bar only moves in a fixed plane and having seen people at my own gym doing it I can say that it doesn't look right, if you squat in a rack you can bail out if you need to (when you first start you wouldn't be lifting to failure so that shouldn't be a problem)

Have a look at the Stronglifts 5 x 5 program. It's really straightforward, 5 lifts separated into two workouts, and you start with an empty bar.

I am familiar with the Stronglifts program but I am starting at a point where I doubt i could even squat an empty bar. Will probably start with body weight squats and then move to goblet squats as I progress. I've heard the negative things about using the Smith machine to squat too.