Why StrongCurves?

Options
Have you completed the programme? if so, did you see good results?

Why choose this over so many other "free" workout programmes online? There are workout plans on bodybuilding.com, muscleandfitness.com etc etc.

I'm curious and want to see if it is something I may consider.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking into SC. I've skimmed the book before, but I'm actually going to read it this time.

I've been doing various powerlifting routines (mostly 5/3/1), but I've been having some back and hip pain for the last several months and my PT diagnosed me with weak *kitten* syndrome. i.e. I'm not activating my glutes like I thought I was. Strong Curves is heavy on glute work, created by a reputable source, so it makes the most sense for me right now.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed it, though I'm only 8 weeks into my first program. I'm actually planning on buying a physical copy of the book as I got the e-copy originally.

I chose it because it's a very comprehensive plan. Most of the "free" programs I see everywhere are thrown together and don't flow well. SC is very thought out. I can feel the difference after every workout but am never "can't walk the next day" sore. There's enough variety in every workout that I never get bored with it and the community is very helpful with questions and suggestions for modifications.

Plus there's the added bonus that it's built around building glutes, which I need. But it also doesn't ignore all the other areas. I'm already seeing more definition in my arms, abs and yay glutes. Well worth the money I've spent on a book.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    lol @_dracarys_ on the whole official diagnosis of "weak *kitten* syndrome." I might start this once I have this baby. I've always been a cardio kinda girl, but I need to switch stuff up and sometimes cardio makes me overeat.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I did it. For the same reasons others listed. I'm very quad dominant and really couldn't engage my glutes or hamstrings much at all. I modified it a bit using the exercise index in the book, and now am doing a three day a week full body plan that uses strong curves as the base (so one glute exercise, one for quads, one for hamstrings/hip hinge, one push, one pull).

I love the results. I haven't measured in a month or so but I was gaining and losing inches in the right places, and gained a lot of strength.
  • ew_david
    Options
    Those who have done/are doing it: which template are you doing? Are you starting with the beginner one?
  • Noelani1503
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Those who have done/are doing it: which template are you doing? Are you starting with the beginner one?

If you go to the advanced chapter in the book, it'll give you a set of criteria you should meet before doing it. I didn't meet all of them (I can't do a chin up and had never deadlifted before) so I started with the beginner one. I made just a few substitutions for the first 4 weeks to cut out ab stuff I didn't like. By the second 4 weeks most of it was substitutions, and for the third 4 weeks I switched to an advanced one.
  • ew_david
    Options

If you go to the advanced chapter in the book, it'll give you a set of criteria you should meet before doing it. I didn't meet all of them (I can't do a chin up and had never deadlifted before) so I started with the beginner one. I made just a few substitutions for the first 4 weeks to cut out ab stuff I didn't like. By the second 4 weeks most of it was substitutions, and for the third 4 weeks I switched to an advanced one.

Cool, thanks!
  • Noelani1503
    Options
    Although the template is the same for the beginner and advanced program. One glute exercise, one pull, one quad exercise, one press, one hip hinge/hamstring exercise, one glute accessory exercise, two core exercises.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Love Strong Curves. I ran Gorgeous Glutes during my bulk two years ago with fantastic results and continued it during my cut, then when I was pregnant I did a modified version of the body weight workout. I love using the index too. Now I'm doing Get Glutes which is pretty similar.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

Yes, I did the beginner program in 2015 while maintaining and had good results. I have continued to incorporate many of the same exercises into my programming.
    Why choose this over so many other "free" workout programmes online? There are workout plans on bodybuilding.com, muscleandfitness.com etc etc.

I wanted something written by somebody I trusted. Bret Contreras has trained plenty of women but also is a researcher. The book also provides a great reference section and many alternative exercises, as well as a general template for building your own plan. I don't have a problem with free workout programs from online but I think that most people would do well do read up on programming. Whether you're reading through a free site like the one for Stronglifts or through a book like Strong Curves or any of Wendler's 5/3/1 books, you're going to have a better understanding of the whys and hows of how the program fits together than you would by just picking something and following it because it's free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

I'm curious and want to see if it is something I may consider.

There's nothing wrong with the programs online at places like bodybuilding.com, etc but most of the one's I've looked at are more appropriate for intermediate to advanced lifters and at minimum assume you know what you're doing and that you know how to perform the movement properly. Many of them also have more volume of work than a beginner should really be taking on...too much volume too soon is going to impede recovery and hinder those newb gains.

Programs like SC and NROLFW and the like are geared more towards individuals newer to lifting. Often the read alone is worth it, particularly for women's programs as many women are terrified of the weight room and these books explain what you are doing and why you are doing it and they put to bed a lot of weight room mythology that many women carry around with them.
  • ew_david
    Options

I started with beginner (BB) and did the whole 12-week program, and just started the advanced set (GG). The ab stuff is seriously super boring and Bret admits he really only throws that in to keep people happy, so I do it only if I have time.

Sadly, I need to do ab stuff too. Maybe not his ab stuff specifically, but I definitely need to do core work. Along with my weak *kitten*, I have an even weaker core.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I started with beginner (BB) and did the whole 12-week program, and just started the advanced set (GG). The ab stuff is seriously super boring and Bret admits he really only throws that in to keep people happy, so I do it only if I have time.

Wow I didn't know he said that... I HATE the ab stuff and always skip it too. Core work I will do... if it will help with my main lifts and stamina but ab work I hate and it makes me sad so this is great to hear since I always felt like I was cheating by skipping it, ha !
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm 2/3 through beginner (BB) and not sure if I'll go on to the advanced next or try out one of the other 2 before doing advanced.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Sadly, I need to do ab stuff too. Maybe not his ab stuff specifically, but I definitely need to do core work. Along with my weak *kitten*, I have an even weaker core.

I'm doing the ab work because I enjoy it. However, where he seems to keep it on the lighter side of things, I'm doing cable crunches and weighted side bends. I'm not as concerned about being wider through my waist then he feels most women are. That's just me....
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I completed BB in 2015 and thought it was okay. I chose BB at the time because I was coming off a fairly heavily race season (triathlons & running) and my lifting had seriously suffered. I do like 4 days of lifting, so that aspect was good. I am not a new lifter, so I did the first week of sections 1-4 and then skipped ahead to 5-8. I did also add in some additional push/pull as I felt the recommendation was a little too light for my liking. I still reference it for additions to my current program, but I just didn't like it enough to keep at it. I did have the book version for reference.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I have to say, while it would be tempting for me to use the templates (note that Bret puts them out for free, they aren't pirated or anything) the information, exercise alternatives, and illustrations in the book was well worth the money for me.

oh, certainly. I also purchased it along with nrlfw, BUT as someone who is very familiar with these exercises now, i think the templates are excellent. they might also be great for someone who's on the fence about purchasing it because they can get an idea of what the plans are like.
  • ew_david
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I have to say, while it would be tempting for me to use the templates (note that Bret puts them out for free, they aren't pirated or anything) the information, exercise alternatives, and illustrations in the book was well worth the money for me.

Yeah, same with 5/3/1 calculator websites. Anyone can plug in numbers, but it's beneficial to read about what you're doing with those numbers too.