Please help!!!

Options
So I'm back on the wagon as of last week. This week as well as staying within my calories every day bar one, I've been to the gym three times, been for a swim and walked at least 10,000 steps on around three to four days.

I got on the scales this morning to find that I'd lost a measly 1lb. I'm so disappointed as I was expecting to have done so much better than this after a good few months of pretty terrible eating.

What am I doing wrong?? I have found that since I started the gym my weight loss isn't regular at all. I seem to be maintaining and not losing. When I go to the gym I cycle for 35 minutes at different resistances and I do 50 hip abductions as well as 50 hip adductions. I hurt my shoulder recently so haven't been able to work on my upper body.

Am I doing the right things or is there something different I should be doing for weight loss?? I sometimes eat some of my exercise calories back but not all of them and sometimes not any of them.

My diary is open so please feel free to take a look if you think you know where I'm going wrong!

Thanks in advance from a dejected dieter :-/

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options
    It's been one week.

I don't know how you are arriving at the amounts in your diary, but for one thing you aren't eating back your exercise calories. Why? For another thing, try to get a more balanced nutrition. . . like more protein and less sugary treats. All of nutrition is important for a healthy body, but especially protein.

How much weight are you trying to lose? Are you close to your healthy weight range already?

Just stay the course. It's a slow process, with ups and downs.

• jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I'm not even close to my goal weight which is why I thought the amount of exercise I'd done this week would help. In the past, my first few weeks have seen big losses and then its steadied itself to a couple of pounds a week. Would I be gaining muscle at the gym? Or is that just a myth?

I know I don't get enough protein and I like my sugary things too much. I'm not a huge meat eater so that doesn't help. Can you suggest any other good sources of protein that I can incorporate into my main meals?
  • camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1 lb seems like a good loss to me. It's not all going to fall off in one week, it takes time and patience.

Calorie deficit for weight loss. Exercise for fitness.

Working out won't increase your weight loss just your calorie deficit, which in my opinion you should be eating some of those exercise calories back.

Just keep calm and be patient, you'll reach your goal and you'll be happy that you reached it in a healthy way.

dtabsrh1len0.jpg

tle9w50hc7aw.png
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you are not in a surplus, it's unlikely you are gaining muscle.

If the exercise is new, you may be retaining water that may be masking a loss.

But that being said, one pound in a week is a good rate of loss. You just need to be patient.

Non-meat protein sources include eggs, tofu, and beans.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more than a week to gauge your progress. There are so many variables involved. :)
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a few days go by and the scales say you've gained a pound. Could be anything from having a large meal the night before etc. I found going to the gym caused my weight to have an artificial rise of a couple of lbs (guessing water retention or something). Just keep at it, you can do it!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    did i read that right?? your whole weight lifting program consists of just 50 hip adductors and 50 hip abductors?? while the eating is responsible for your weight loss/weight gain, you may want to look into starting a program (or at least a better rounded lower body program if thats all you can do right now).
  • TELALL4
    TELALL4 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    On average 1 to 2 pounds a weeks is doing very well. You need to eat a balanced diet. Protein, Complex Carbohydrates, Vegetables, Fruits, Good Fat etc. Your body needs proper nutrition to burn fat and sculpt muscle. You have to be patient and know that it didn't take a week to get where you are so it won't take a week to get where you want to be. Also, you need to drink half your weight in water if you are working out daily to keep hydrated. I have been on that struggle train and I know that it can be frustrating. Keep going, you got this!
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Check out the famous flowchart too. I'm wagering that you are retaining water to balance the increased glycogen stores in your muscles:

5b7f8ec203x7.jpg

Take some body measurements so you can see your shape changing.
  • jadeyq1
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys. Muscleflex79.....I have no interest in weight lifting at all. I do a little bit to try and help keep me toned, that's all. I want to lose weight....that's my main goal. As for the water retention.....how do I fix that or is that something that eventually goes the longer I exercise?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Seriously... It's been one week. You can't say that your "weight loss isn't regular" yet because you don't have enough data points.

Also, drop the leg machine routine - it's a waste of time for your goals.
  • jadeyq1
    Options
    I should probably have voiced that it's been an ongoing concern of mine since I started the gym at the beginning of the year. I haven't really lost any weight all the time I've been going to the gym :-/ in the past I've lost weight consistently while doing minimal exercise (a swim here and there) and just by sticking to my 1200 calorie goal. This is why I'm a bit confused as to now, when I've added in extra exercise and I'm not eating too much more than back then, that I'm not losing weight?
  • cmriverside
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jadeyq1 wrote: »
    I should probably have voiced that it's been an ongoing concern of mine since I started the gym at the beginning of the year. I haven't really lost any weight all the time I've been going to the gym :-/ in the past I've lost weight consistently while doing minimal exercise (a swim here and there) and just by sticking to my 1200 calorie goal. This is why I'm a bit confused as to now, when I've added in extra exercise and I'm not eating too much more than back then, that I'm not losing weight?

Eat. A. Balanced. Program.

Get more protein and vegetables. Seriously. Chicken, cottage cheese, yogurt (especially Greek/higher protein), fish, nuts, eggs, whole grains, tofu, beans. If you are going to workout especially you can't neglect your protein. Red meat isn't the only way.

You are under eating. You haven't answered WHY you are under eating. Use those 100-600 calories you're leaving on the table to eat some PROTEIN - even if you have to resort to supplement shakes. It is really important. You don't have to eat meat, I have many days where I get enough protein through dairy and whole grains, vegetables, nuts and beans alone. You've been getting much less than what you need. Pretty soon your hair is going to start falling out.

Have I mentioned protein?
  • jadeyq1
    Options
    Haha okay thank you!! So work on adding protein! I get scared by the calories in things like nuts!
  • jadeyq1
    Options
    Oh and I guess I figure the more I eat the less likely I am to lose weight.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    But the calories in candy are okay?
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Don't obsess over weight

nm7b99bcsvq6.jpg
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Don't obsess over weight

nm7b99bcsvq6.jpg

THIS!!!

So true!

Not to mention that one saying...it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for friends and family to notice, and 12 weeks for everyone else to notice. Don't give up and don't be so concerned with the number on the scale.

Also...I agree with a previous reply...eat more protein!
    I know you said that the calories in nuts scares you, but those calories & fats are the good ones. The ones you need.
  • jadeyq1
    Options
    But the calories in candy are okay?

I incorporate them into my daily allowance whereas calories in nuts for just a tiny amount seem to be sky high....
  • jadeyq1
    Options
    Thank you, that post really helped. I just need to tweak a few things until I find something that works and I'm going to start measuring instead of relying on the number on the scales.