exercise question?

Options
right so i was at the gym yesterday and started my new programme this morning i have some muscle ache in my thighs and shoulders.

i am quite keen to get to the gym again today but my partner says i shouldnt as i have muscle pain

what happened to no pain no gain?

any advice? should i go or not
x

Replies

• beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I personally think I stay sore for longer if I don't go back to the gym the next day. It may just be in my head, but I think it helps with the muscle soreness to keep moving. I say go.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With it being a new program you should expect some soreness... are you doing cardio or strength training? If strength-training then try focusing on a major muscle group on one day then the next strength day is for another section, allows you to work out multiple days without overstressing any one particular area.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you take it easy with the muscles that are sore. Light stretching, and light weight movements will help ease the pain, but stay away from "working out" with the sore muscles. Be sure to drink plenty of water and stay active.
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Expect to be sore when you start a new routine or new to the gym. It takes time for your muscle to heal from the micro-tears of working out and putting strain on them. Depending upon your workout goals and how many times you plan on being at the gym per week, you may be sore when you go back. When you stop being sore on the same routine than it may be time to step up the intensity or weight OR change the routine so that your muscle don't build memory of the routine and helps to keep your metabolism up.
  • radarseven
    radarseven Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on whether it's genuine pain or just muscle soreness. If I avoided the gym every time I was sore, I'd never go back there. :wink:
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    With it being a new program you should expect some soreness... are you doing cardio or strength training? If strength-training then try focusing on a major muscle group on one day then the next strength day is for another section, allows you to work out multiple days without overstressing any one particular area.

its a mix of both - rower, xtrainer and boxing - with assisted pull ups. squats, lunges, 5 core exercises and chest press
  • MollyYao
    MollyYao Posts: 12
    Options
    I would go and do a light session on the treadmill or elliptical and stretch. I find that once I start moving the sore muscles the pain goes away and I can get on with my workout.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I would go and do a light session on the treadmill or elliptical and stretch. I find that once I start moving the sore muscles the pain goes away and I can get on with my workout.

What this girl said. Don't go and repeat the strength routine you did yesterday. Just do some light to moderate cardio and make sure to stretch all of those muscles! I find that after a new routine, if I just go do some cardio it loosens everything up and the pain goes away much faster!
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    i shall head off to the gym then thanks for all your replies

x
  • jenkamac
    jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that you are supposed to continue to work out even when you are sore - it helps in building muscle. That's what I have always done and can honestly say that when I am sore I actually feel much better after I work out, probably because it stretches the muscles. As long as you're not injured I say go for it!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you are fine...i go all the time with soreness. remember the more you move the less pain you'll have.

if i waited every time i was sore..i'd only work out once a week.
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My Trainer wouldnt let me work out today because i was really sore on my thighs. so he todl me to rest it out.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    thanks so i will do 30mins cardio and a 30 min swim
    x