Shrinking in height after stopping milk?

i_love_vinegar
i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
edited 12:24PM in Health and Weight Loss
If someone took in around 1,500 calories of dairy per day since the age of 10 and dropped it to around 50 calories per day, could this cause shrinking in height after the age of 18?

Just curious and thank you! :bigsmile:

Replies

• NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    Did this person cut off their legs?
  • i_love_vinegar
    Did this person cut off their legs?

No haha. Not a trick question. :laugh:
  • imprimez
    imprimez Posts: 36
    If someone took in around 1,500 calories of dairy per day since the age of 10 and dropped it to around 50 calories per day, could this cause shrinking in height after the age of 18?

Just curious and thank you! :bigsmile:

No.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Having taken 6 anatomy and physiology classes, I am pretty sure that this would be impossible. If you are shrinking at the age of 18, something is definitely wrong, and it isn't because you stopped eating dairy. There's also pretty strong evidence that says that magnesium plays a very major role in bone building as well, so unless you cut off your magnesium too...
  • pipthegirl
    pipthegirl Posts: 14
    Could the smaller amount of milk cause shrinkage? Extremely doubtful. Other things can though, certain medications, some forms of cancer, osteoporosis, a slew of other diseases, mostly fairly rare, aging, vertebral fractures...I'm sure insufficient calcium intake could aggravated some of them. Basically, it could be nothing, or it could be something serious.

And I get that from med school.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Could the smaller amount of milk cause shrinkage? Extremely doubtful. Other things can though, certain medications, some forms of cancer, osteoporosis, a slew of other diseases, mostly fairly rare, aging, vertebral fractures...I'm sure insufficient calcium intake could aggravated some of them. Basically, it could be nothing, or it could be something serious.

And I get that from med school.

Thank you :bigsmile: I've been to tons of doctors recently (I'm a bit of a hypochondriac anyways) and am supposedly above-average in health. Well, thread closed on my part. :drinker: I feel the best I have in my entire life.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    The most likely reason to become shorter as an adult is posture related or a crush fracture or damage to your spinal vertebrae (or may be a disc problem).
    I'm pretty sure you'd know if this has happened!
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    I am much older than you (58) and I noticed I'm shrinking. I used to be 5'7" tall and now I'm 5'5". My mom (who is 85) has really shrunk. I was told I had osteopoenia (?sp), and I take calcium every day. Have to be rechecked. I was drinking only soy milk for a long time, and perhaps was low in Calcium.

Shrinking seems to be a normal effect of aging after about age 50. I have talked to lots of friends who have "shrunk" one or two inches since their glory days. 18 seems kind of young for this though. If you are a hypochondriac and worried about this only trust your doctor's measurements and tell them about your concern. Otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy measuring your height over and over.
This discussion has been closed.