Which is better?

Options
Is it better to eat breakfast then exercise or exercise then eat breakfast?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. I don't eat breakfast, only coffee with creamer. Suits me just fine.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Neither one is objectively better, so it comes down to what's subjectively better. For me, it's less pleasant to go for a long or hard bike ride on a full stomach, and if I'm able to go for a ride in the morning I'm probably looking forward to it, so I don't want to give up the time for breakfast anyway. So, for me, it's better to exercise first then eat. Your mileage may vary.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference. If you're eating a well balanced diet chances are that you wake up with enough stored glycogen to get you through 60 to 90 minutes of moderate exercise without bonking.

I'll typically run on an empty stomach (need my coffee first though..) with the exception of my longer runs in the later stages of a training plan (90 minutes or more) I'll eat something light a couple of hours before heading out the door.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    just a personal preference. i decide what and when to eat depending on what i'm gonna be doing so i dont get heartburn or puke it up.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Completely up to you. What you are doing for exercise might have an impact, too. This time of year I run 3-4 miles before work every other day. I get up, put on my running stuff and head out the door. I get home, shower and don't usually eat my breakfast until around 10am and that's just a protein bar. If, however, this were winter and race season was in swing, I'd be running 8 miles or more and I'd need to eat something a half hour or more before I started and probably something sugary during.

Generally speaking, a workout of less than 90 minutes or so you can do on an empty stomach or right after eating, whichever is comfortable. A longer workout will require food intake at some point so you have enough energy to get through the whole thing.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    What about both?
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    22o2e1stoe8h.png
    What about both?
    This is me.
    I do HIIT in a fasted state, then go for a walk or swim.
    A few hours after breakfast, I lift weights. I see value in both, and it's a personal decision.
    A personal trainer told me cardio in a fasted state burns more fat, but no definitive science is available to prove this.
    It seems to work for me, but my fat loss could be from other items in my overall fitness program.
    Who knows?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Its better to do the one that works for you. I can't focus on my workout if I'm too hungry. My son on the other hand gets sick if he works out right after eating.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.