Totally OT Cat question

Options
kerrilucko
kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
I know tons of you are cat lovers and have a few of them at home so I thought I'd ask:

My beautiful cat, Ciao, seems to have a kitty cold. He hasn't been around any other pets except my other cat, who has no symptoms. Well, Ciao has been sneezing a bit the past 2 days. Poor guy. He's eating and drinking well and he is as playful as ever. He caught a cold last year when we first brought our other cat home and the vet said he probably caught it off her (because she was from an animal shelter and had been around a lot of other animals). Anyway, the vet said last time it would go away on it's own and as long as he was eating ok and had no other odd symptoms, he was fine. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help him. He has these little sneezing fits and then he just looks at me like "help me mummy" poor baby. We don't have a humidifier so I put bowls of water by all of the air vents in the house... apparently that does the same thing as a humidifier. Anybody have any answers? I don't even know how he would have gotten a cold. I don't think it could be an allergy either, because I havn't made any changes to anything.

Replies

• kerrilucko
    Options
    I know tons of you are cat lovers and have a few of them at home so I thought I'd ask:

My beautiful cat, Ciao, seems to have a kitty cold. He hasn't been around any other pets except my other cat, who has no symptoms. Well, Ciao has been sneezing a bit the past 2 days. Poor guy. He's eating and drinking well and he is as playful as ever. He caught a cold last year when we first brought our other cat home and the vet said he probably caught it off her (because she was from an animal shelter and had been around a lot of other animals). Anyway, the vet said last time it would go away on it's own and as long as he was eating ok and had no other odd symptoms, he was fine. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help him. He has these little sneezing fits and then he just looks at me like "help me mummy" poor baby. We don't have a humidifier so I put bowls of water by all of the air vents in the house... apparently that does the same thing as a humidifier. Anybody have any answers? I don't even know how he would have gotten a cold. I don't think it could be an allergy either, because I havn't made any changes to anything.
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    One of our cats gets colds every so often. The other one never does! She is pitiful for a few days, she sneezes, and her eyes run, but then she's okay in a week or less. I don't think there is really much you can do for them other than what you are doing! :cry:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    They get colds just like people do. If he is running around with energy and eating and drinking like normal, he'll be fine. It'll just have to run it's course like our colds do.

If his appetitte does change and his energy level drops drastically then I would take him in to the vet.

Sorry the little guy isn't feel well. :flowerforyou:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Is he and indoor or outdoor cat? He could have an allergy to something in the air. I would say if he is eating and drinking like normal then he is okay. If you notice that he is drinking more than normal you might want to have him looked at. Just keep an eye on him. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Memaw
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    He is a strictly indoor cat, sorry, should have mentioned that, lol. Thanks guys that makes me feel loads better. I don't have a problem with taking him to the vets when he needs to go but we live in an isolated area and it;s a 2 hour ride to the vets... and poor guy hates the car so I don't wanna do that to him if its not needed. :flowerforyou:
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You're poor kitty probably has an upper respiratory infection which is fairly common in cats. From what I've read it can be pretty contagious in multiple pet households so I wouldn't be surprised if your other kitty catches it as well. There's not really all that much you can do for him though since the infection is pretty similar to a human upper respiratory infection. You could try vitamin C though. They make varsities of it for pets. Just make sure not to give him any Tylenol or Ibuprofen anything like that.

According to Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, "One Tylenol or ibuprofen tablet can kill a cat," says Dr. Dullard. "Tylenol causes a condition in which the cat's blood cannot carry oxygen, while ibuprofen can cause severe gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and seizures and tremors." http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/news/safety.htm

I'm sure with a little love from his mommy and a few days with a little rest he'll be feeling much better. The vet trip probably won't be necessary unless you start seeing some yellow or green mucus. So just keep an eye out for that. I've also heard that if he is congested you can use pediatric nasal saline drops to help clear the mucus from the nose, but I'm not too sure about that one.

Hope this helps and hope he feels better really soon! :flowerforyou:
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    hey, I didnt read the replies but my baby girl (a cat) got sick in the summer and she was sneezing, sleeping, and not being her normal self so I took her to the vet ($30 visit) he gave me antibiotics and a kitty vitamin ( $30) and WALLAH she was back to normal in like a day it was ridiculous how fast the antibiotics worked. Sometimes if they are kittens their immune systems aren't completely set up so kittens tend to get sick, and get better faster then cats that are older. THeir immune system isnt complete until like over a year old. Hope I helped and hope your kitty feels better!
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My kitty gets colds 2 or 3 times a year. Don't forget that we can bring allergins in on our clothing and such also... My cat usually is well within a few days... just be patient. I know my cat is really sick and needs to go to the vet if he ever potties somewhere other than the litter box... weird huh?
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    ps since your vet is so far away you could probably call and tell him te symptoms since it is just a cold and not something more serious, and he could probably tell you what to do over the phone, there are probably other options to get meds without going all the way to the vet!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    hi there ~ i am the VP of a cat rescue group called new beginnings cat rescue out of dallas. our website is www.nbcrtx.org

we run into upper respritory infections a lot. when a cat is stressed his immune system weakens. our cats come from a local shelter (we rescue them from death row) and are placed into foster care. the foster parents bring the cats to petsmart on saturdays and sundays and bring them back home if they are not adopted. the travel alone can bring stres, being around other cats, being scared etc. we treat their symptoms - runny eyes, sneezing - with an antibiotic called 'clavamox'. it comes in either liquid or pill form. petsmart sells a product called 'pill pockets' which are a soft, treat like thing you squish the pill into. some cats will eat them, some will not. i prefer the liquid version myself. after it is mixed, it is good for 7-10 days and usually works wonders. it needs to be refridgerated.

since i am around URI often and know how awful it is when it spreads, i would suggest getting the medication from your vet - with out having to take the cat in the car which would cause stress and make it worse. since it just started, maybe wait until after the weekend to see if he gets better.

some cats have allergies too. have you changed anything in your house - detergent, air freshener, candles, cleaning products, litter, etc.?

hope this helps!
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    hi there ~ i am the VP of a cat rescue group called new beginnings cat rescue out of dallas. our website is www.nbcrtx.org

we run into upper respritory infections a lot. when a cat is stressed his immune system weakens. our cats come from a local shelter (we rescue them from death row) and are placed into foster care. the foster parents bring the cats to petsmart on saturdays and sundays and bring them back home if they are not adopted. the travel alone can bring stres, being around other cats, being scared etc. we treat their symptoms - runny eyes, sneezing - with an antibiotic called 'clavamox'. it comes in either liquid or pill form. petsmart sells a product called 'pill pockets' which are a soft, treat like thing you squish the pill into. some cats will eat them, some will not. i prefer the liquid version myself. after it is mixed, it is good for 7-10 days and usually works wonders. it needs to be refridgerated.

since i am around URI often and know how awful it is when it spreads, i would suggest getting the medication from your vet - with out having to take the cat in the car which would cause stress and make it worse. since it just started, maybe wait until after the weekend to see if he gets better.

some cats have allergies too. have you changed anything in your house - detergent, air freshener, candles, cleaning products, litter, etc.?

hope this helps!

Hi, nope, I havn't changed anything that I can think of. We did switch their litter but that happened back in mid December and he has only begun sneezing a few days ago. He actually seems much better today. I have only heard him sneeze twice. And like I said before he is eating, drinking and playing well. I think he is on the mend, but if he is still sneezing at all by Monday I will have to give the vet a call. He will mail medications to patients (many in this area live in isolated areas, it can be quite the trip for meds) if fwe need him to. Thank you for your post, good to hear from somebody with professional experience in that area!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

hope this helps!

Hi, nope, I havn't changed anything that I can think of. We did switch their litter but that happened back in mid December and he has only begun sneezing a few days ago. He actually seems much better today. I have only heard him sneeze twice. And like I said before he is eating, drinking and playing well. I think he is on the mend, but if he is still sneezing at all by Monday I will have to give the vet a call. He will mail medications to patients (many in this area live in isolated areas, it can be quite the trip for meds) if fwe need him to. Thank you for your post, good to hear from somebody with professional experience in that area!

anytime! :flowerforyou: sounds like he is on the mend ~ just keep an eye on him and he should be ok, if not you know what to do. you are obviously a great kitty mom!

fyi - one of my cats goes into sneeze fits and sneezes like 20 times in a row. but its random so i dont think much of it. different than what your cat is doing - just wanted to point out they all have their moments!