Self Sabotagers UNITE!!!

Options
I need some support from others who know what I'm talking about. I take a few wonderful steps forward and get excited and something inside says, "that's fantastic! But let's take a break..." etc. If I'm honest, I listen that voice in my head that doesn't think I'm worth the effort or the results.
SELF SABOTAGE!!!! Who knows what I'm talking about?!

So I'm trying to figure this out and I can't do it on my own. For some reason motivation from strangers feels GOOD! seems more powerful than from my loving wonderful husband who's supposed to love and support me no matter what. So if you're up for encouraging me, I'll encourage you! If you've got a fit bit, I'd love to do some challenges as well.

I'm 42 - 218lbs
Desk job,
2 young kids (2,5)

Ursula

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you have to do it on your own. Everybody supports you, but in the end you have to want it. Getting more info is good, but pats on the back only get one so far.
  • FaithWorks2011vm
    FaithWorks2011vm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me- I could certainly use the added accountability and I'd be happy to encourage you as WE overcome!!!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you have to do it on your own. Everybody supports you, but in the end you have to want it. Getting more info is good, but pats on the back only get one so far.

So true. Excuses are easy, the work is hard. The hardest work of all comes from within. It's not even the hungry feeling, the being sore from exercising. It's the desire - deep, deep down - desire to want to succeed.

Everyone who has made the positive change happen, has done it on their own. All the tools are in front of you, but are totally of no use, unless you commit to yourself.

Feel free to read my profile and add me if you'd like.

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ...my loving wonderful husband....
    ...2 young kids (2,5)....

Do it so you'll have more wonderful years with your family. Internalize THAT motivation.

Don't go through this to simply look better. Not simply to feel better. Train yourself to live better. To be mindful. To raise kids with healthy outlooks on life, and healthy habits on keeping their bodies and minds fit.

Live a good life with your family.

• triflerose
    triflerose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I lost 57 lbs about a year ago and was almost to the 200 lb mark. Just needed 3/4 of a pound! I have since added 30 lbs back and am struggling to gain momentum again! Yes, it is self-sabotage! No other word for it! Feel free to add me! I would dearly love the support! Read a really good post this morning that I will be happy to share! It help put some step in my giddy-up today anyway! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10376506/success-or-self-sabotage/p1
    Keep on trying! Best I got!
  • RTCfarms
    RTCfarms Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh my I am the QUEEN of sabotaging myself! I have done this countless times after successful weight loss.
    My problem is I DO NOT want to talk about weight loss with anyone. I shut down completely when people say "oh you've lost weight" or "wow you're looking good". I HATE when people notice me!!
    I will spill my beans a bit here. My biggest (and lowest) point of my life was when I weighed in at an astounding 282. I felt horrible, looked horrible and all the rest of it. I got my act together and dropped about 25-30 pounds. I then got pregnant with my first and gained about 20 pounds. Right before delivery I was so swollen I was almost 300 pounds. YIKES!!
    After I had my first baby in January 2014, I was down to about 220 after some months of work on my eating and tracking and felt great, I was more active, looked better, etc. Right after baby 1 turned 1, I got pregnant again and had baby 2 in October 2015. I am hovering around that 255 still and I'm not happy with it at all.
    I know, I need to make my kids the reason not the excuse but it's hard. My baby is a horrible sleeper and is up very early. My mornings have always been my favourite part of the day for walks and my time, now I don't have that. My husband farms and is gone most days so I'm on my own with the kids. I'm struggling to find a balance with my need for improving my own self, being the majority caregiver, being a farm wife, and also working on the tractor or combine in the field for the day.
    I know I can do it, I know I feel better when I do lose, I just hate the attention. I'm back to working on my eating and hoping to bust through my self sabotage, my exhaustion, and taking baby steps.

Sorry for the long story but I do get it.
    Add me if you would like, I do agree that the positive boosts from others does help!
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do nothing but sabotage myself most days! Sometimes I can't help it, like the days I want to go running but by the time I get home I'm anxious and exhausted from work and I can't.

With unmedicated ADD (I'm working on the 'unmedicated' part...), working a boring desk job is probably the worst thing in the world and causes me insane amounts of stress. I'm like a horse waiting to get out to the race by the time 5:00 rolls around, and not in a positive way! So not only does that stress cause me to stress-eat, and the doing nothing cause me to boredom-eat, but by the time I'm free I'm like YES LET'S DO ANYTHING BESIDES LOOK AT A COMPUTER which usually involves shopping, eating out, going out for drinks, drinking while playing board games, food shopping, or generally making bad decisions.

Go figure I haven't lost much weight since my last 15lbs. I've only got 25 to go, but the self-sabotage never seems to end. Maybe I'll get some relief once I go back on my meds. But in the mean time, I'm right there with you.

• livnminx
    livnminx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know just what you mean I love looking weight when I loose. I normally drop 30-50 pounds and then decide I want cake for breakfast and don't need the gym. I can do a walk later. I then decide I don't feel like going for a walk. I have fruit in there but I want Ice cream. I don't need it, most time am not hungry but I WANT it and hey, I lost 30 or so pounds so don't I deserve it? And so I regain. And the never ending cycle goes on.