Who plans on...

Options
Do you plan on weaning yourself off MFP once you have reached your goal weight?? Are you nervous about Venturing out on your own without your loyal MFP???

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Practicing portion control is part of learning process. So yes, I will be letting go of logging.
  • minime0424
    minime0424 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I plan on weaning myself off 6 months after I hit my goal weight
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    No, not planning on weaning myself off, I feel that just like when it was my time to take my weight loss seriously the time to leave or lessen my interaction with MFP will happen at the right time :)
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have no plans to stop logging. Maybe at some point in the future if I see I have a good handle on this I'll stop feeling the need to keep logging my food. But for the foreseeable future I'll keep doing this. It's not a big deal at the end of the day. Plus I love the community feel of the site.
  • minime0424
    minime0424 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That's awesome you guys! Everyone is different and everyone has to do what's right for them ;) for me I would just like to be able to gain the confidence to try and do it on my own, but I can tell you this much; if I see the scale going up as opposed to maintaining or even a continuation of loss, my little butt will be right back on MFP LOL
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't know yet. I'm going to spend this year while loosing weight trying to eyeball healthy portions and learn calorie counts for the foods I eat. I would love to intuitively eat and in 6 months or so I will try to start doing that and log in the evening what I've eaten to see if I can do it. If I can't I will log forever:).
  • CorriAZ
    CorriAZ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have to log to keep up. There simply isn't sufficient balance between the days I under-eat and the days I over-eat. If there is indulgence on several Saturday night dinners with friends, it can override my normally healthy eating habits. Such situations have caused me to gain weight in the past. Like balancing a budget, which tomteboda mentions, you have to keep doing it or else you end up with weighty debts.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Personally, no. I will be logging less often and/or more loosely, but I will not fully let go of it. Every time I have taken a maintenance break, most of the time I ate meals I knew the ballpark calories for (e.g my usual oatmeal is around 350 calories) and logged that as quick add. For any new or uncommon meal I logged all ingredients as usual. I just ate to appetite. If I had a heavy day I would follow it with a day where I ate only one moderate calorie meal and low calorie snacks I knew the ballpark calories for. If I had a low day I would follow it with more fatty meals next day. I kept watching my weight daily and adjusted my intake for any trend up. Loose logging worked wonderfully for me and was 110% sustainable, so I believe that's what I will be doing once I reach my goal weight.

Completely weaning myself off would make me risk losing focus. Even if I somehow get this eating thing completely under control without logging (doubt that would happen), the act of logging even a random number daily works as a reminder of what I'm doing to maintain. Without that anchor, life is bound to rearrange my priorities.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I was going to track with MFP "forever", but around six months into maintenance I got sick of all the glitches, tried Fitbit for a couple of months, until it started to be annoying and redundant too, so I stopped, but continued using my spreadheet meal plan/log, weigh and count, and weigh myself daily.

I don't think you should stop until it feels right. You will know when it's time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've stayed on MFP for the fitness side but don't log my food anymore.

Logging is always there in the "tool box" if I need it. For a long time I could maintain weight without logging but if I went over my maintenance upper limit I would have to revert to food logging to reverse the trend but I've learned to lose without logging just by being calorie aware and breakfast skipping.

If I'm training particularly hard for an event I may use food logging for increased macro and calorie accuracy.

The caveat would be that I maintained fat for 20 years rather than have a gradual increase in weight so maintenance feels normal, it's just the weight I maintain at that has changed.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I logged for a while once I hit maintenance, it just gradually dropped off because I was maintaining without any problems.

Now I just go by how well my elbows fit into my sides. If they don't lie well I weigh myself and take action if needed. I keep a 5 lbs range that I have only gone over or under a handful of times in 6+ years.

I rarely log, weigh my food, or myself (unless my routine changes drastically).

ie: I am weighing myself daily right now as I started lifting again and my weight is slowly dropping even thought I raised my intake. I actually want it to slowly go up so I'm just judging how much more I need to eat.

I'm very laid back and lacksy-daisycal about it all, but not adverse to buckling down and weighing and logging if needed.

I hang around because I need inspiration to keep exercising- and the people :D

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I actually like checking out the forums and have friends that I keep in touch with on the newsfeed so I wont be walking away from MFP.
    I have stopped logging since the beginning of the year and that's going well (am approaching 4th year at maintenance) so its all just about the social aspect of being here now which I enjoy.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not planning to wean to let go anytime soon, but will in the future. My exercise and training depends too much on getting the calories right. I also can over eat very easily.

So for now I am happy with logging, even though my husband thinks it is over kill that I mull over calories everyday.. and he is probably right. He lost 65 pounds, and is maintaining and has not logged one calorie.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged consistently in several months. At some point I will likely stop all together.