Gaining weight with 1200 calories per day

Options
Strangest thing ever.. I’ve been doing the ‘Lose 2 pounds per week’ for 3 weeks now instead of 1 lbs pr week, I got a bit inpatient and wanted to get rid of my last pounds a quicker. I’ve follow the plan but did do a bit more cardio than I was supposed to.

At my last check in I had actually gained 1 lbs. :grumble: It’s not much but I got really grumpy, did not expect that at all and it felt like I’d lost more weight. But how is that even possible with that few calories (1200)? Is my body going into some kind of ‘hibernation’ or is it … muscles? Has this happened to any of you?

Maybe it's my bathroom scales that is way out of line here, haha (I wish) :laugh:

Replies

• kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Strangest thing ever.. I’ve been doing the ‘Lose 2 pounds per week’ for 3 weeks now instead of 1 lbs pr week, I got a bit inpatient and wanted to get rid of my last pounds a quicker. I’ve follow the plan but did do a bit more cardio than I was supposed to.

At my last check in I had actually gained 1 lbs. :grumble: It’s not much but I got really grumpy, did not expect that at all and it felt like I’d lost more weight. But how is that even possible with that few calories (1200)? Is my body going into some kind of ‘hibernation’ or is it … muscles? Has this happened to any of you?

Maybe it's my bathroom scales that is way out of line here, haha (I wish) :laugh:

Maybe try changing it up, eating more one day and less another.
    Really everyones bodies are so different that what works for you might not work for someone else. Experiment a little until you figure it out :) good luck!

Oh, and drink enough water!!!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

how tall are you/what is your weight?

I am 4'9" (apparently 4'8.5" after measuring myself today...) and although I've been doing 1,200 calories soon I will have to drop my calories to around 1,100 etc as I get smaller. Maybe you are really small :)
  • TomAJeffs
    TomAJeffs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. My weight sometimes goes up by a pound, a few days later it's gone back down again.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief... weight gain from muscles doesn't happen very quickly.

It could be poop. It could be your time of the month. You could have ate high sodium. Your muscles could be inflamed from a workout. It could be actual weight of food that is sitting in your stomach or digestive tract.

A pound (or two or three) is easily a good crap for me, to be honest. Keep track of it, keep chugging, and evaluate the data to see if there is a pattern. The 'reports' feature is excellent.
  • lucasmum
    lucasmum Posts: 7
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? Your weight can fluctuate by a few pounds for lots of different reasons, but I understand how frustrating it can be! I'm also on about 1200 cals a day and a few weeks ago, I had gained a pound, did exactly the same stuff the following week and lost 3.5lbs! So try not to let it get you down, stay positive and try to look at your weight over a month instead of a week. Good luck!
  • jeffhop75
    jeffhop75 Posts: 8
    Options
    maybe try eating more, your body might be going into starvation mode.
  • dduke01
    dduke01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Rather worring about weight, do you see your body compisition changing. If you are a heavy set guy like me, I went four weeks without loosing a pound on a 1200 calorie diet and going to the gym twice a day burning near 1000 cal or more, but I went from a size 34 to 33 in waist. Then I started loosing about 3 pounds a week after my body changed.
  • pickulz76
    pickulz76 Posts: 41
    Options
    When any of you say 1200 calories is that Net calories or total calories? just curious as i myself am starting out.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You should try to net as close to your goal as possible. For instance, if your net goal is 1200 and you burn 500 through exercise, you have only netted 700... therefore you should "eat your exercise calories" (making your total calories consumed 1700) to bring your net back up to 1200 where you want... there are a bazillion threads about it on a daily basis and varying opinions...

But I have, and continue to, "eat my exercise calories" so take it for what it's worth. I have results and proof that it works for me... and now that I'm in maintenance... there are some days where I'm eating over 2500 calories a day. Love. It.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Up a pound is pretty normal.
    The crap lady tells the truth :P
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Reading your post, I think the key is that you're trying to lose the last few pounds a bit quicker cos you're impatient.

Don't.

The last few pounds are always the trickiest to lose, and you really should be aiming for a 1lb or 0.5lb a week loss at that point. This is a long game, not a sprint.

Alos, bring in some strength and weight training to your exercise routine.
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    For me, I don't eat my exercise calories back as I'm working on loosing weight versus maintenance. It works for me. I weigh daily, and have days that my weight varies up and down. As long as the trend is going in the right direction for you..... And if the 1 or 2 pound gain bothers you, do extra cardio or intense cardio for a day or two. And as clintswifeymomof indicated, making sure your bowels move daily or your not retaining water due to the monthly (if so, be gentle with yourself and wait til it passes). Either way, try not to obsess about it as they body changes naturally throughout the day. Make sure to weigh yourself at the same time with the same scale in the same spot each time you weigh. It could be something really simple!
  • jillwm
    jillwm Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Much appreciated! :flowerforyou:

I seldom eat all my exercise calories, guess I'm trying to heard at the moment. I do have a normal BMI but I prefer being at the middle or lower half (I athletic by nature and not "petit"), so I've been very impatient getting off the last pounds before vacation (spending time wearing a bikini :mad: ). I normally do the check-in's every second week but not now.

Thanks again and good luck to all of you :glasses: