How do you allot your calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    There is no "left over" calories in my day unless I bust my @zz at the gym to earn it. If I do that, then I eat back half of those cals with protein, which is usually meat or eggs. If I have say 300 cals I just earned and I ask myself do I want like half a muffin or a decent piece of lean beef, the beef wins hands down. Or I could make a vegetable omelette.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - 100ish
    Snack - 200ish
    Lunch - 200ish
    Snack - 40ish (if I have it at all)
    Dinner - 400ish
    Snack - 450-500ish

I really love snacking. It makes me happy. So I make sure to allot a good amount of calories for it. Even if it means keeping my breakfast in the low 100s. It's why I cut out drinks that contain calories b/c it was eating away at my ability to have after dinner snacks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    Options
    My breakfast, lunch, and bed time snack are pretty much the same or similar calorie variants so without exercise I usually have the same amount of calories to play with for dinner.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I shoot for eating around 6-700 calories for 'brunch' (breakfast/lunch combined) and supper each. That leaves around 2-300 calories for a dessert or a lighter evening snack and/or a couple mugs of tea with cream if I can achieve that goal.

I'm trying to curb the whole snacking thing beyond once in the evening where it has become abundantly clear I start food seeking again. Right around 7:30-9:00 PM.

When I start hiking again, the surplus calories it creates will be used for the turn around point snack during.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you just eat what you want for each meal and then plan later in the day with what have left over? Or do you start each day with a certain amount for each meal/snack? I've always done the first but I'm starting to think that there may be a benefit to saying "I'm gonna eat xxx calories for breakfast, xxx calories for lunch, xxx calories for dinner and xxx calories for snacks". I hope this makes sense.

When I logged, I pre-logged...I didn't have a set amount per meal...it was just pre-logged so that I could see that it would all fit and that I wouldn't have to forgo a meal later or have some unsubstantial meal just because I had gone over earlier in the day.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts and dinners are almost always the same thing, so I go ahead and pre-log those then work my lunch and snacks around that. Lunch is my biggest meal of the day, so between breakfast and dinner, I usually have plenty leftover for lunch, a snack or two, and a glass of wine before bed.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I find it best for me to have small breakfasts and lunches, as I prefer to eat more at dinner and still have enough left for an evening snack.

I seem to sleep best if I eat later in the day rather than bigger breakfasts and smaller dinners.

• thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I pre plan but I back-load all my calories towards the evening. I dont get that hungry during the day at work but when I get home, look out! So I save up my calories all day long and then spend them.
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I usually plan breakfast and lunch M-F... Weekends I'm off schedule. But still try to just eat balanced.
    Breakfast- 300cals
    Lunch - 375-450
    Dinner - 500 ish
    Plus maybe 200 in snacks
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well I'm less virtuous .. first I pre-log my 'can't survive without' that's 2 squares of chocolate and at weekends a glass of wine. I'm pretty boring with breakfast - same most days and often lunch so I pre-log those. Then I tend to eat my evening meal according to what calories I have left - which is dependent on the amount of extra calories I have gathered up from my exercise. Works for me!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I pre-log sometimes a week in advance. I'm a nerd like that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day every morning. I save the bulk of my calories for dinner and dessert.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I eat all my calories after 5:00 pm. Large dinner and a snack.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A mix of both. If I have something in mind, I plan around it. If I don't, I just eat what I feel like eating for every meal with whatever calories look reasonable to me.