Vacation fears

Options
Hi all. I've been trolling this fourm for a while and learned a lot from you all so thank you to all the posters. So far in my journey I'm down 20lbs (36m, 5'8,190lbs) and currently losing 2lbs a week with strength training 4x a week.

I currently have a week long cruise coming up in October and I am horrified of what will happen when I get back on the scale when I come home. I just don't know what to do. Do I take a vacation from my diet with fear of falling off the wagon when I get back or try to watch what I eat?
I love food and I love cruise vacations. I'm putting those 2 things together. Help MFP community. What do I do?

Replies

• Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the cruise, eat in moderation and don't let it worry you. Most times on cruises you are moving around, walk the decks, hit the gym on board or the pools and you are worried. When you get home, get back to your normal routine
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have put the 2 together numerous times.
    I could waffle on with lots of hints and tips, but as you have cruised before you know the lay of the land, you know what you may go overboard on, so just keep your eye on your portion sizes and enjoy.

You may gain a couple of pounds, but you know how to lose them, and they will be gone a month after you come home.

Enjoy yourself.

Cheers, h.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    eat yourself stupid and fall of the wagon.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »

We go on a cruise every January and I'm not ashamed to say that I do exactly this. I do exercise every day but it's like a fart against a thunderstorm lol When I get off the ship, it's back to business as usual and I spend the next month recovering.

Enjoy it.
  • anferkneez
    anferkneez Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Solid advice..I'm leaning towards it
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    anferkneez wrote: »

Solid advice..I'm leaning towards it

live only once fella and unless you are training to get on stage have fun.
    You can remain conscious by still training on board and not necessarily going mental on all meals but i wouldn't stress too much about it.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I posted this exact question back in May - and received a lot of good advice, much of what is similar to what is posted here. Basically I relaxed, had fun and didn't worry. What I also did was: kept moving - didn't sit by the pool all day and drink umbrella drinks. However, since I DO like my umbrella drinks, I stuck with mojitos and drank a large water between each one. I opted mostly for fish, veggies and fruit - which are plentiful on cruises - and didn't stress about occasional treats - especially ones I can't get a home.

Bottom line is: I got home and had actually lost a pound - LOL!!! Have fun!!
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You could do something like have one day where you eat like a person would vacation wise then one day where you try and eat healthy and moderate like you would on your diet and alternate days like that if you are that worried then you get a little of both worlds...
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Meh, I went away for 3 weeks not too long ago to Fiji and New Zealand and ate everything in sight. I gained back about 5 pounds all said and done. But as someone already said, I know how to lose it, so I went back to my normal routine and lost it.

How often do you go on vacation in your life? Really, in the scheme of things is one week going to derail you that badly? Nope. Have fun while you can.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Going on a vacation - especially a cruise - and fretting is wasting your money, but that doesn't mean you have to overdo it! when I go away I will allow myself the extra treats, especially things I don't have at home (liked cooked breakfast!), but I do try and do exercise of some sort, even just a nice long walk. I keep logging everything, but don't stress when (not if!) I'm over my calorie limit. Then when I get home its back to being good - I might even cut the calorie goal by 100-150 calories a day - and I'm soon back on track.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've been trolling this fourm for a while and learned a lot from you all so thank you to all the posters. So far in my journey I'm down 20lbs (36m, 5'8,190lbs) and currently losing 2lbs a week with strength training 4x a week.

I currently have a week long cruise coming up in October and I am horrified of what will happen when I get back on the scale when I come home. I just don't know what to do. Do I take a vacation from my diet with fear of falling off the wagon when I get back or try to watch what I eat?
    I love food and I love cruise vacations. I'm putting those 2 things together. Help MFP community. What do I do?

When you get to your goal weight, it'll be a range of weights, not one specific number. So your weight can go up and down at maintenance, and no-one will fret.

Same when you're losing. Don't be horrified - the chances are you'll come back heavier and roll your eyes because you'll be losing the same pounds over and again. It's all part of life - get on and enjoy your holiday!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a vacation where we ate out at every meal- I even went to Long John silvers twice! I stayed within my calories except for one day. Just watch the amount of what you eat and make sure to keep eating your fruits and veggies!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I think I'll just say screw it and enjoy my vacation and just keep on track when I get home

Is your fear more that you won't be able to get back on track after a week of eating more? That is definitely a fear of mine sometimes even when I overeat for a day. Sometimes, I think "Is this it? I won't be able to come from this one." Thankfully, I have been able to bounce back so far. Hopefully, when I have a week on vacation, I will be able to enjoy the food and come back to eating normal. Haven't had to do that yet.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm on vacation right now and started off in a food quandry with every mouthful!!

I have resigned to the fact I'll shoot for as close to maintenance as poss, but already this week I have had some of the nicest foods, drinks and deserts known to man :#

Heaviest day so far was a 4000 food and alcohol fest, but what a great day /night!

Strangest feeling so far? It doesn't feel 'right'. It feels like my body is already saying enough of this, time to get back to normal. I feel laden down with excess, and haven't been to the toilet as much as this in months!

But we are having a GREAT time :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Lets be realistic. It's one week, right? How much could you eat in one week above your maintenance calories without getting sick? 1000kcal per day (that would be more than 100 grams of butter, btw)? That would be a weight gain of 2lbs. 2000kcal per day? That would be a weight gain of 4lbs. It's not much, really. Apart from that, do you really need to stuff yourself to enjoy the trip or would you also be happy to try tiny amounts of different things, or not try everything each day but select a few things that look most appealing?
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Lets be realistic. It's one week, right? How much could you eat in one week above your maintenance calories without getting sick? 1000kcal per day (that would be more than 100 grams of butter, btw)? That would be a weight gain of 2lbs. 2000kcal per day? That would be a weight gain of 4lbs. It's not much, really. Apart from that, do you really need to stuff yourself to enjoy the trip or would you also be happy to try tiny amounts of different things, or not try everything each day but select a few things that look most appealing?

That puts it into perspective nicely ;)
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I too am going on an October cruise and intend to be 85% pasta by the time I return home :D
  • reesa1234
    reesa1234 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am also going on a cruise in October and have the same fears as you but like other posters said. Life it too short. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy. Try not to eat till I can't move but eat the burger, and drink the pina colada and come back to salad, chicken, oatmeal, repeat : )
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds on our last 7 day Carnival Cruise, and I considered that a huge win.
    I ate well, and after each meal, I'd walk the decks for 45 minutes. Life is just to be lived sometimes.

Here's the downside. Those 10 pounds I gained in 7 days took 6 weeks to shed. It was worth it...
    B)