Fitness question

Options
I have a question? I work on my feet for 4 hours pretty much straight unless I have to take a bathroom break. My question is: Can I count this as part of my exercise for the day? Also, after I am done working I do walk home usually unless I am offered a ride. I have been told by some people no I can't count this as exercise because it's not continuous and it's a lot of starting and stopping, however, I feel like if I am on my feet the majority of the time it should count as exercise. The reason I say this is because when I get home all I want to do is sit down for a while. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your activity level should reflect this. It should not be counted as exercise. If you have your activity level as sedentary then up it to reflect your work and walk home.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Did you read the descriptors when you set your activity level? You include it in your activity level...it's not exercise/fitness, it's general activity.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    No. Because it's work. And really think about it, there a millions of people who have jobs that stay on their feet or move without sitting much for 8 hours a day! They don't count this as exercise. They call it work.
    Ask yourself this: Has your fitness or health gotten better because of this 4 hours on your feet? If not, then why would it make a difference now that you're trying to lose weight?
    If it was just about moving while you work, there wouldn't be many overweight or obese people in the workforce of today.
    Ever see overweight carpenters? Or walking mail people? Or Janitors? All jobs that are physically demanding, yet over 1/2 are still over weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mcmahoj3
    mcmahoj3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Why don't you get a fitbit and see how many steps you actually take and what your heart rate does. It's ridiculous to think that just because you're being paid means you're not being active. What about professional athletes? They get paid!
    It all depends how active you are.... measure it!
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd see that, as other have pointed out, as "activity"...and surely NOT exercise.
    :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. I work on my feet for eight hours and it's reflected in my activity level (well, from my Fitbit, but still).
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    No, because there are millions of people out there who work on their feet and still end up obese.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    No, because there are millions of people out there who work on their feet and still end up obese.

And there are tons of people at desk jobs that are as thin as toothpicks.... should we all be on our butt all day?
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I work on my feet 5-8 hours and I don't consider it exercise. So I'd say no. Just set your activity level to lightly active if need be.