My Boy, My Boy !

Options
Folks, after a little advice .... my "little boy" has just turned 18, and he's what I would describe as a "big unit" .... some may be less tactful ;)
He's 6'1" and over just 300lb / 140kg / 22st
He is generally sedentary (read "gamer") , but is a surprisingly able cyclist .... we quite often do 40 mile road/offroad rides on a weekend.
He really likes his food ..... obviously.
We've both been following a Joe Wicks style regime .... I had some good results before going on holiday, Mitch didn't seem to lose much.
He wants to join the police force after University and would HAVE to lose a substantial amount to qualify.
Can anyone suggest the best regimen to follow ... without feeling massively hard done by...?

Martin

Replies

• StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Best tip I have is to find something he enjoys. He's a big boy, so he doesn't need to starve himself. He just needs to make better choices in his diet which I know is hard! It's a journey to find what you like but eventually working out and eating right won't be a chore. Swim, bike, do a fitness class, lift some weights, go for a jog, do absolutely everything (and give it an honest try!) until he finds something he truly enjoys!

Another tip is do not let him deprive himself. This will cause him to binge eat when he can't take it anymore (I know this from experience). I eat 2 cheat meals a week. Meals, not days. These are meals I don't count, and they are always on a day I work out. This could be anywhere from ice cream to mcdonalds. By not depriving himself of the foods he enjoys and eating them once in a while, he hopefully won't feel like he's missing out!

A lot of weight loss is just your mind set. He needs to find what motivates him. Instagram accounts? Pictures? His future career? He needs to remind himself everyday what he wants and that he'll do anything to get it. I don't know him and I believe in him, he needs to believe in himself too!

One last point, he needs to love his body not hate it. Lose weight because you love your body and want to take care of it, not because you feel it's dragging you down. You got this. I have tons of more tips if you want to add and/or message me! :)
  • GodivaTrailrider
    GodivaTrailrider Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks Stevie :) He's a fairly unenthusiastic fellow :/ so finding what motivates him is difficult... he does enjoy cycling though so that has to be the best exercise. I think he likes the Joe Wicks / very low carb, high protein diet format, but I'm guessing his portion sizes are what's causing the issue..... we're working on reducing these from now on. I'm trying to get him to register on here himself as I've found the support from the Community to very helpful in the past. :) Any good tips are greatly appreciated :)