is the app Endomondo accurate??

Options
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how accurate the Endomondo app is, either with calories or with distance? When I walk/march the streets locally I prefer not to wear a HRM and I am curious how many calories I am burning (not because I plan on Eating back but merely for curiosity reasons)

Thank you,

Rachel

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The distance is track through GPS so I find it to be pretty accurate but the calorie burn is not link to your heart rate so I don't necessarily trust it but I wear my Polar FT60 when out jogging and go off it over the app..... Best of Luck
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The distance is track through GPS so I find it to be pretty accurate but the calorie burn is not link to your heart rate so I don't necessarily trust it but I wear my Polar FT60 when out jogging and go off it over the app..... Best of Luck

When you compare the calorie count on your polar to the endomondo do they basically match or is it way out?.
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi Rach,

For me, Endomondo calories are actually lower than what my heart rate monitor says I've burnt (and both are set up with correct height, weight ect) therefore I just go off Endomondo, however they're not massively different, maybe around 50-100 cals out or so.

Distance wise I've never had any problems with inaccuracy and I've used Endomondo for all of my timed/measured races.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I run a measured trail. Either my app is off , or the course is. ( I suspect the former), usually about 1/10th of a mile on a 1.6 mile run.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hi Rach,

For me, Endomondo calories are actually lower than what my heart rate monitor says I've burnt (and both are set up with correct height, weight ect) therefore I just go off Endomondo, however they're not massively different, maybe around 50-100 cals out or so.

Distance wise I've never had any problems with inaccuracy and I've used Endomondo for all of my timed/measured races.

When calculating calories burned the HRM is more accurate than Endomondo. Period. Your heart rate is a very importent component to the calculation of calories burned when doing steady state cardio.

Unless your phone is linked to a HRM chest strap, then it would be possible for Endomondo to be as accurate as a HRM watch.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I find Endomondo generally a couple of hundred cals higher than my HRM or other apps, for say a 90 minute run. My understanding is that it includes BMR in its estimation.

As far as distance is concerned I've been finding Endomondo overestimates distance by about 200 metres in 10km in comparison with a Garmin.
  • I find Endomondo generally a couple of hundred cals higher than my HRM or other apps, for say a 90 minute run. My understanding is that it includes BMR in its estimation.

Same with me. I stopped using Endomondo because calorie estimates were too high.
  • Shelleo71
    Shelleo71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just started using Endomondo. I was wondering about the calories burned issue also. Distance seems to be pretty accurate. I like it because it doesn't pause and restart during my walk, the Map My Walk and Fitness both do that, however the calories they show I burn are about 200 less than the Endomondo. I guess for someone just getting started, at least it's making me aware. :smile:
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you could use a heart rate monitor that syncs with endomondo if you're concerned about accuracy.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been using Endomondo paired with a Polar H7 HRM for over a year. I find it to be fairly accurate. Having said that, I always consider it, including other apps, to over-estimate calories around 20% or so. As long as you keep that in mind, and don't eat those calories back you'll be fine. I've had other apps calculate calories higher than Endomondo as well, so it really has been a decent app for me.

For instance, when I started a year ago, I used Endomondo along side my Bowflex M5's calorie counter. The M5 doesn't take into account heart rate, only RPM and Resistance on the M5. The Bowflex M5 always had a lower estimate than Endomondo so I used it as my base calculations but allowed Endomondo to sync with MFP. That's where I came up with my 20% overestimation for Endomondo. However, over the course of the year I have increased the resistance and RPM I use the M5 and now they are almost dead on each other for calorie burn. If Endomondo says I burned 500 calories the M5 also says around 500 now that I've worked my way up on its settings. Does that mean they are now both accurate? Who knows. I tend to figure in my 20% overestimation anyway and have not been disappointed. I've consistently lost weight even when eating back most of my exercise calories (If I do that, I try to do it with protein so I can get a boost in muscle gain). In general though, I try not to eat back more than 20% of my exercise calories on any given day no matter what, and that means I'm still at my designated deficit PLUS any extra exercise calories. So doing it this way Endomondo has been great for me.
  • Shelleo71
    Shelleo71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great. I'll stick with Endomondo for now. I like that it doesn't cut in and out while I'm walking. Just getting started getting more active again so....little by little. Thanks for all the information. :smile:
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    does anyone know if i connect endomondo with mfp and with my iphone health app will it double count? i already connect health to mfp. thanks!
  • Phelper
    Phelper Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found that my Polar H7 and Scosche Rhythm+ heart rate monitors are near identical when paired to the Polar Beat app (I tested both at the same time, each paired to a different phone that had Polar Beat installed). However, when I paired one HR monitor to Endomondo and the other to Polar Beat, I found the Endomondo app to calculate an extra 86 calorie burn on a 50 minute treadmill run/walk. May try to pair the Polar H7 to Endomondo and the Scosche to Polar Beat tonight and see if the results are similar.