Weight loss before holiday

Options
:tongue:

Hi All,

I joined this about a year ago and haven't been on it in about 8 months! i'm doing quite shockingly badly....I have actually gained over 10 pounds since I initially weighed in. I'm now 161 pounds. I have about 3 favourites pairs of jeans that I can no longer fit into, and believe me i've tried! i've actually had to start buying bras that are slightly bigger than usual as i've also gained weight up in that region. i've had to buy 2 pairs of jeans that are one size bigger than i'd normally wear and it's so frustrating.

I'm going on holidays with my boyfriend in August and I keep telling myself, right..gym 3 nights this week, no more carbs..no more junk but then I have a bad day in work and of course I have a bikkie with my coffee in the afternoon, I get home and i'm so tired I often don't bother going to gym, then we end up eating late PLUS if we have any junk in the house i'll tuck into that. I have relatively no self control and just wondering if anyone has any tips at all how to lose weight before a holiday? i'm sure lots have gone through this same thing. I do'nt even really have a weight goal, I just know once I can start fitting into my favourite things again I'll be happy and once my energy levels are up again that will mean I'm at least on the way to getting fit and healthy again.

Any tips?

Erin.

Replies

• PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    Well, first of all, WELCOME BACK!! Now, get rid of all the junk in the house. ALL OF IT. Just toss it in the trash and leave it there. Then replace it with fruits and veggies. It's fine to have a little junk here or there if you can handle it, but if not, it's better to avoid it at all costs. However, if you have a bad day, don't beat yourself up about it. Just move on and make better choices the next time. I'm also one of those people who has very little self control, but I'm learning. If my husband wants fast food (yuck), I'll opt for the grilled chicken salad. It's mostly about thinking before you eat, not just eating because your hungry. And I've found that when I eat well, I want to go to the gym. It's all a learning process! Take it one step at a time. Feel free to friend me if you would like!
  • Faybelline88
    Options
    I'm trying to lose for a holiday too, mind you mine's in October!

Every day I think about my goal, I have a countdown timer on my homepage that tells me how many days I've got to go until the holiday - if you type 'customize countdown timer to any date' in google it wil come up with a good one.

Just make a list either on paper or in your head of how you'll feel when you lose the weight - I also look online for holiday clothes that i wanna fit into all the time for inspo!

Hope this helps, good luck on your journey x
  • Gettingbettereveryday
    Gettingbettereveryday Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi Erin

How about having copies of a photo of you in your favourite jeans in places where you can't avoid seeing them - say next to the biscuit barrel for example! And maybe put a big red circle round the date you're due to go on holiday?
    Plus, maybe try and stick to recipes and foods that can be thrown together in a few minutes so you don't find yourself spending too long in the kitchen... and I guess check in to mfp regularly to help keep you focused.
    You could also try and plan in some treats in your daily foods so you won't feel deprived...
    Hope this helps

Evelyn
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    One idea that helps me when I get in that rut is to be successful in one area instead of diving full force into the perfect dieting mode. When I am successful with my calorie count then I add in the exercises. Once I am successful in those areas then I look at how I can add in a little more like more exercise or better water drinking habits or healthier food choices. Good luck in making good choices for yourself!
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately only you can control what you do to your body...regarding the amount you eat, if you exercise or not. So tips are good but unless you are ready in your mind to make a committment to a new, healthy lifestyle then tips are rather useless. Start with a positive attitude that you want to get healthy (not slimmer, sleeky, etc) just healthier and the other benefits will follow. Cut out starches and salts and fried foods in large amounts. If you love those things have them but in much smaller amounts. Eat off a small plate to make it look like you have a lot to eat but it is a lot less. Soon you will not want them at all. Up your water intake per day. Walk to the bus stop, better yet walk to work if it is doable. Get off the coach if you are a tv watcher and do something that requires movement. Tired when you come home. Make yourself go for a walk you will be surprised how energized you will be when you come back. Committment and attitude towards a healthier life. Good luck and enjoy your vacation, you'll get back on the wagon when you get home.
  • Jenniejenner
    Options
    Hi Erin :smile: Do you think if you could find a couple of hours to think about what/when you usually eat and to plan ahead it might help you stay on track?? Doing this really helps me to stay on track and to not miss out on what I like to eat, and although it takes a lot of time initially to plan 7-10 days' worth of menus the info's there forever and you can then chop and change the days to suit you!!!

I always work with just my pre-exercise calories and plan to have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner + another snack - I know that looks like a lot of snacks but I know me and I know I eat a lot of snacks so doing it any other way makes me miserable. I then put in what I'd like to eat and play around with portion sizes til it fits! :tongue: I then exercise to be able to eat more!!! :bigsmile: If I go on to eat something extra/different I then take out something I had planned in rather than eat it in addition - so I still end up within my goal!! I also find that if I don't exercise first thing in the morning then for me it doesn't happen! :ohwell: But because I plan I have found that if I want to eat lots on a particular day it does tend to spur me on to get out of bed earlier because my plan shows me I'll be well over my goal if I don't!

I can honestly say that I do not deny myself anything (apart from my family my 2 favourite guys are Ben & Jerry!!) - but I do plan everything in and adjust my portion sizes/exchange items if the day pans out differently than I expected! So if I go out for lunch unexpectedly I'll exchange the calorie rich dinner I had planned for a lighter option.

So maybe you could try spending some time thinking about how you personally function day to day, and if there are any little changes you could easily make and still be happy, and perhaps plan ahead so you can have all the foods you've planned in to hand rather than the junk....unless the junk is planned in of course :wink:

Hope it all pans out and you have a wonderful holiday feeling fab!!!

Jennie :bigsmile:
  • pernodmeowster
    Options
    Hi guys,

Wow, some response..have to say..all of your replies are really helpful and I totally agree with getting rid of ALL the junk out of the house..it's funny..my boyfriend is trying to lose weight also and we both go to the gym together, even if we have completely different workouts and we both have different goals..his is more about the weight loss...mine is more about getting healthy and slimming down so I can fit into my favourite things again. :-) I did say to myself that I would allow myself one or two treats on the weekend as long as I didn't eat ANY junnk during the week..my weaknesses are any kind of fizzy Jellies..actually more than chocolate...and I love Ben & jerry's (stay away from the Core Sundae) and I adore doritos..I will eat a big bag without even thinking..my boyfriend has often gone to grab a handful and they'll all be gone!! he said it's shocking...lol

So anyway, we're both going to gym tonight and I'll plug in my exercise later..i'm going to defo look up that holiday tracker thing on google as well and see how I get on..fingers crossed eh?

Thanks for all your replies :-)
  • pernodmeowster
    Options
    Hi,

Just wondering, how did you put a countdown clock on your homepage? is this on your myfitness pal home page? I have no idea...lol

Thanks