IT band recovery plan?

Options
After a hard run a few days ago, I began experiencing pain around my left knee. My wife's personal trainer said it sounded like an IT band injury, which my research points to also. So now I am looking for anyone with advice for dealing with it. I spent a day alternating heat and ice and no exercise. The pain isn't as bad today, but I do still feel it periodically. I'm training for a 10K so I REALLY don't want to be forced to lay off running for weeks.

Advice?

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I've only had mild issues with mine. I'd consider seeing a pt for exercises/rehab. Gentle stretching, and foam rolling may help.

A few days off are not going to interfere with your training. Not taking the time to heal will.

Good luck!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    A few days off are not going to interfere with your training. Not taking the time to heal will.

This. Totally this.
  • Jeff_01022014
    Jeff_01022014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling every night has allowed me manage my IT band injury and keep running. It's still an ongoing issue but hasn't prevented me from increasing my milage to the highest I ever had and improving my PRs in every distance.

Some exercises may prove useful in correcting the issue. Strengthrunning have youtube videos on this.

Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I missed about 6 weeks of running a number of years ago due to an IT band issue (I ran a HM the week after a 100km bike ride......forgot I wasn't 20 any more) trying all the usual self-treatment stuff (foam rolling, stretching etc etc etc) with very little improvement.......2 very painful sessions with a Reg Massage therapist and I was running again. If you're not improving with the foam rolling & stretching consider booking a treatment (I go on a regular basis now as a maintenance thing...)
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Foam roll NOW!!! don't let it get worse or you are looking at a 6 week layoff from all exercise and terrible sleepless nights. Take a few days off and build up mileage in the proper way. I was training for a HM when I encountered my issues.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id195.html

This article helped me when I was dealing with it many years ago. I allowed the acute inflammation to go away, fixed my root cause, and immediately went from having it act up within a couple of miles to being able to run more than 10k without any pain. I've only had one single flare-up since then, and I immediately knew the error that caused it. Ultimately did a couple of races of 50 miles with no ITB pain.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!
    wolfgate wrote: »
    http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id195.html

This article helped me when I was dealing with it many years ago. I allowed the acute inflammation to go away, fixed my root cause, and immediately went from having it act up within a couple of miles to being able to run more than 10k without any pain. I've only had one single flare-up since then, and I immediately knew the error that caused it. Ultimately did a couple of races of 50 miles with no ITB pain.

I think this article nailed the cause of my problem; running on the edges of roads that are slanted for drainage. Always running into traffic means the same leg is always on the uphill or downhill side. I've already mapped out a new course to I'm not on this same out/back road every time.

Stretching and foam rolling is underway, pain is much better. I was afraid everyone was going to say lay off for 6 weeks (which is what the articles I had read previous stated).

Thanks again!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Lay off for 6 weeks. :D

I had an IT band issue this past winter and it prevented me from running my Spring marathon. I would take a week off and think it was healed only to run and make my knee hurt again. I gave it 4 or 5 tries over a 6 week period before I finally gave up.

I never completely stopped running but I did drop my milage way down and added IT band specific stretches, foam rolling, and leg workouts at the gym. It eventually got better and allowed me to run a HM and a 10 mile race in late Spring.

Give it time and take it easy.

Good luck.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon I didn't train properly for and started my IT band issues. After 8 weeks of not running and still getting pain I finally went to the doctor. Doctor told me to stay off it for another 4 weeks and if the pain persisted to come back in and get a cortisone shot. Pain didn't go away so I got the shot. Best decision ever. Felt like it healed instantly.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Update for anyone following, I did a 6 mile run this morning and still pain free! I normally rest over the weekend anyway, so some more rest, stretching, and strength training of those glutes will hopefully help keep future pain away!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    After a hard run a few days ago, I began experiencing pain around my left knee. My wife's personal trainer said it sounded like an IT band injury, which my research points to also. So now I am looking for anyone with advice for dealing with it. I spent a day alternating heat and ice and no exercise. The pain isn't as bad today, but I do still feel it periodically. I'm training for a 10K so I REALLY don't want to be forced to lay off running for weeks.

Advice?

I used to get this all of the time with my cycling, including the pain with the knee...get a foam roller and roll the *kitten* out of it and then keep up with it. It'll hurt like hell rolling out your IT band...now I just roll daily to maintain it and haven't had any issues.
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    +1 for the foam roller, has time and time again solved all my ITB issues.