totally new. hi!

Options
hi. this site was recommended to me on the atkins forum. how does it workc i entered my details and it asked how mu h i wanted to lose a week so i said 2 pounds and it said, eat 1200 net cals to lose ONE pound a week! i cant understand that! also, i don't know if this site is just for highly sporty people, well i am in a wheelchair. so clearly not that sporty really, lol. i cant lose on atkins at all. i like the diet, its fine but... i cannot lose. even in a wheely and on meds i should be able to lose. thre are thousands of stories of eeps in myposition who have succeeded. i cant see on 1800 cals one could possi bly lose! i tried everything to the letter for 9 months and lost zero pounds, in fact gained 5. they wont let you eat less than 1500 cals. its like a non negotiable rule. but i am not losing. this hopelessness is worsening a clinical life term depression i deal with every day and am medicated for, but they say if you eat less than 1500-1800 cals a day , even if you dont move, your body will go into starvation mode and you will never be able to eat normal amounts (its like a nightmare hell scenario, especially for me, lol) so, can someone tell me please where i am supposed to be, and why when i want to lose as much as possible i can only lose a pound a week and does this count 'workout calories' as calories off food cals to make net cals? cos if so, i am stuffed arent i! hahahahah. i dont have a chance if that is so. but something inside me says, i can do this. i can find a way. soon i will be slender again. its a voice. i dont know. intuition.
thanks everyone for bothering to read this and for your time and advice in advance.

Replies

• 5obeautful
    5obeautful Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    have i already done something wrong? hahahahaha
  • 5obeautful
    5obeautful Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    why has nobody replied. am i working this out wrong. can i not be seen? lol
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Your being seen
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Are you propelling yourself around in your wheelchair, or is it powered
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There's alot of variables there that are not identified. Weight, leaness, activity level?
  • smurfette54
    smurfette54 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi 5obeautful
    There is so much to say here and not enough time. I think anyone who reads your posts definitely has a lot of questions. Mainly as stated above. And maybe it is none of our business, such as what activities can you do, ie. are your legs mobile at all, are your arms mobile, can you get in and out of the chair? There are a lot of variables involved in this. I assume you want to lose 2 lbs a week. That can potentially be very difficult to do. Especially if you are very sedentary. Eating only 1200 calories a day can be very difficult (well at least it is for me as I love food). I am on the small side (i used to not be....180lbs 5'0") and so I am not afforded the luxury of being able to eat many calories in the day. I have to be careful with what I eat. I try to eat a lot of protein, and less carbohydrates than I would normally, plus a healthy amount of fats. I do a 35% protein, 35% carb, 30% fat ratio and it works well for me. I did Atkins back in the early 2000's and it worked for a bit, but I grew weary of it and could not stick to it. I learned the best way to do any sort of weight loss is by weighing your food and logging everything. It has worked for me a few times. I have never gone back to 180 lbs. When I stop logging my food I will slowly gain weight but I mainly maintain, and then I have to start logging again to get myself on track. I think that is the real reason you are here. You need to be really aware of the portion sizes you are eating, and knowing exactly what is going in calorie wise. I say forget the 1200 calories for right now, and just take a week to eat normally, but weigh EVERYTHING! log EVERYTHING! You may be surprised at what you are really taking in and in what percentages.

MFP is great for this because their food data base is so large. It can be very frustrating and tedious, but so worth it.
    I will friend you.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi! First off, welcome! You've come to a great place and the community here is for the most part wonderful- give or take a few special people. You will find that for the most part, people here support healthy eating and tend to sway away from fad diets. Unfortunately the adkins diet falls into that category, so you may get some negativity in response to that. Not knowing you, and not knowing your activity level, I would say that 1800 calories is too high, and that is why you are not loosing. I have a desk job, get in about 10,000 steps a day, workout for an hour 3-5 times a week, and even I don't eat that many calories. I get around 1700- which is up from the 1300 I was getting when I first started. I think the most important question you need to answer is how much activity are you getting in every day, what workouts are you doing etc, so we can determine how many calories you should be consuming.