LACK OF ENERGY...

Options
I know exercise is a major & important part of weight loss & being healthy but it's like I have no energy to do so. Can anyone give me some tips to help with this? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hmm... hard to suggest without more info, but what I would do...

if it's that you don't have energy in the evening to work out, can you do it in the morning or at lunch?
    if you don't have the energy to spend an hour in the gym can you do a 10 or 15 minute workout instead?
    make sure you like said exercise, if you don't find something you enjoy, it will be easier to get it done.
    make sure you are getting enough sleep.
    drink more water.
    maybe add some caffeine.
    schedule your workouts like you would schedule any other appointment or meeting, and make them non-negotiable.

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? TDEE = calories to eat in a day to maintain weight. Go for that amount.

Secondly, are you eating enough fats? Just because it is named 'fat' doesn't make it bad for you - in fact, dietary fat is excellent and needed for hormone regulation (helps sleep, bodily functions, mood, levels or tiredness, etc.).

Third, be physically active a few days a week. Once the habit is set up, it will feel bad to not do anything for a while. The first 2-3 weeks are the hardest, then your body craves it!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are a few reasons you might lack energy. Simply not eating enough will do that. Other culprits include thyroid, depression, lack of sleep, lack of iron, short of B12, or too darn busy.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard a single parent burning the candle at both ends, working, cleaning and raising their children, complaining they lack energy. Yeah, duh, everyone has their limits.

If you rule out all the possible causes listed above it might be a simple matter of improving your cardiovascular capacity. I would suggest a twenty minute HIIT routine three times a week until it starts to feel easy.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is through calorie deficit. You can get that deficit through eating less or exercising more. However, exercise is good for you whether you are losing weight or not and the more you do it, the more energy you will have.

If you're not used to exercising then your energy will feel low to start with. Start simple, with things like walking, or jogging a few mins for perhaps 3 times a week and build up slowly. Apps like C25K can be helpful. Also think about how active you are generally. If you sit down a lot - perhaps consider getting up once an hour and doing something a bit more active to raise your heart rate - even if it's just walking up and down the stairs a couple of times.

If you're used to exercising but just have no energy currently then maybe consider your diet and perhaps how much rest you are getting between work outs. Also, are you bored of your work outs?

If you have no energy generally, try looking at how 'clean' your diet is. How much processed stuff are you eating? Sugar? Make sure you're not dehydrated - drink lots of water. Make sure you're getting enough, quality sleep.

If it's more like 'fatigue' and it's on-going then see your GP to get yourself checked out - there are a ton of things that can affect your energy such as thyroid, iron levels, etc.

I personally would avoid stimulants to give you energy, such as caffeine as it doesn't help in the long run and you may end up less energetic than you are now.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Doing even a little bit of exercise during your day will help increase your energy levels: sit ups during commercial breaks (remember those, hahaha) or while cooking. Morning/Evening walks, squats, push ups, yoga. Doesnt have to be super intense to see an improvement in this area.
    My other suggestion would be healthy fats like avocados or coconut. They provide quick ATP replenishment after one of those hard workouts.
  • sunshine2_8
    sunshine2_8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! You all were very helpful!!! I know my iron was a little low at my last doctor's appointment, I was taking a multivitamin but stopped. I think I'll get back on that and increase my sleep and see it that helps! Thanks again!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Keeps it simple. Get enough sleep and eat more carbs and fats on workout days. Good luck!
  • Imomw2016
    Imomw2016 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is just getting off the couch and getting started some days. So make that your goal - get up, and walk or start your workout DVD, go to the gym - whatever it is. Even if you last for five minutes - it's a start! And all you need is to start.

Good luck!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh trust me, you never want to stop taking iron supplements. Liquid iron is easiest to digest and tends to work quickly. Start really simple, even seated/restorative yoga or walking around your place for 5 minutes at a time helps a ton with boosting your energy levels. :smile: