What is your biggest issue/concern/struggle with weight loss?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    plami92 wrote: »
    My biggest struggle is enjoying the taste of healthy food. No matter what recipes I try from here or the internet, it`s just not tasty. I don`t get a drop of happiness from the food that I eat and I fear that it will make me go on a junk food frenzy one day.

And that is exactly what happens, too. This is why we can't stick to diets, and why we regain after we lose weight. Eating just to lose/maintain weight is never going to be satisfactory. Food is one of life's basic pleasures and should taste good.

Have you considered just eating food you like, normal food, using normal recipes, in appropriate portions?
  • plami92
    plami92 Posts: 24 Member
    My biggest struggle is enjoying the taste of healthy food. No matter what recipes I try from here or the internet, it`s just not tasty. I don`t get a drop of happiness from the food that I eat and I fear that it will make me go on a junk food frenzy one day.

And that is exactly what happens, too. This is why we can't stick to diets, and why we regain after we lose weight. Eating just to lose/maintain weight is never going to be satisfactory. Food is one of life's basic pleasures and should taste good.

Have you considered just eating food you like, normal food, using normal recipes, in appropriate portions?

I do eat normal food. Lots of salad, with different dressing like honey/ mustard or homemade pesto A lot of grilled, baked, stewed meats marinated in different herbs that I grow in my garden. Still the only food that actually tastes good to me is, well deep fried and super salty. It`s been about a year since I started MFP (this is my second account) and I`ve lost 10 kg with, like you said, eating normal food and normal recipes. I`m happy it works, just the process is taking a long time and I`m getting sick of it I think.
  • kommodevaran

I do eat normal food. Lots of salad, with different dressing like honey/ mustard or homemade pesto A lot of grilled, baked, stewed meats marinated in different herbs that I grow in my garden. Still the only food that actually tastes good to me is, well deep fried and super salty. It`s been about a year since I started MFP (this is my second account) and I`ve lost 10 kg with, like you said, eating normal food and normal recipes. I`m happy it works, just the process is taking a long time and I`m getting sick of it I think.

Hm, I guess normal for you is deep fried :D I'm at loss then. Have you cut it completely out?

I believed I ate normal food, but I was brainwashed to think that low fat/low taste was normal food. The transition was easy once it "clicked". Now I'm eating a lot like we did in the 1950's, but more varied, and my tastebuds have adapted to the subtler notes in "real" food.
  • Gerbsxyng412
    Gerbsxyng412 Posts: 86 Member
    staying motivated
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    dariacsf wrote: »
    My biggest issue was not being able to eat to satisfaction.

My biggest advice is to make sure to eat whole foods. Stay away from low fat/low carb, etc. whole foods are much more satisfying compared to prepackaged foods. Aim to eat foods that do not have commercials.

For you, whole foods are most satisfying. For me, it's high carbs + high calories. When I eat until I'm satisfied, I've blown about 1,000 calories. Now if I could burn enough calories to compensate for 3, 1,000 calorie meals a day, I'd be quite happy.

But if you have to overeat to be satisfied, you aren't eating satisfying foods.

Or am I missing the point, again?

I think my definition of satisfaction is not the same as yours. "the act of providing what is needed or desired : the act of satisfying a need or desire" is the way I'm using satisfaction. When I eat to satisfaction, I don't think about food all the time or when my next meal is. I eat and move on.

Sometimes I want breakfast and am actually pretty hungry. What will satisfy me isn't 30 grams of oatmeal with 8 grams of white sugar. What will satisfy me is a slice of toast with butter and PB, a 2 egg with cheddar cheese omelette, 2-3 slices of bacon, 85 grams of fried potatoes, and 250 mL of milk. The first meal is 142 calories, the latter is 784 calories.
  • kommodevaran

My biggest advice is to make sure to eat whole foods. Stay away from low fat/low carb, etc. whole foods are much more satisfying compared to prepackaged foods. Aim to eat foods that do not have commercials.

For you, whole foods are most satisfying. For me, it's high carbs + high calories. When I eat until I'm satisfied, I've blown about 1,000 calories. Now if I could burn enough calories to compensate for 3, 1,000 calorie meals a day, I'd be quite happy.

But if you have to overeat to be satisfied, you aren't eating satisfying foods.

Or am I missing the point, again?

I think my definition of satisfaction is not the same as yours. "the act of providing what is needed or desired : the act of satisfying a need or desire" is the way I'm using satisfaction. When I eat to satisfaction, I don't think about food all the time or when my next meal is. I eat and move on.

Sometimes I want breakfast and am actually pretty hungry. What will satisfy me isn't 30 grams of oatmeal with 8 grams of white sugar. What will satisfy me is a slice of toast with butter and PB, a 2 egg with cheddar cheese omelette, 2-3 slices of bacon, 85 grams of fried potatoes, and 250 mL of milk. The first meal is 142 calories, the latter is 784 calories.

Ah, I think I see. You manage to reach that feeling of satisfaction - I never did. I would eat and eat and never get enough. I'm totally happy with the level of satisfaction that is "needs and wants in synch", but it's still a work in progress. I never liked being overfull, but not being overfull makes me a little uneasy nevertheless.
  • plami92
    plami92 Posts: 24 Member
    [/quote]

Hm, I guess normal for you is deep fried :D I'm at loss then. Have you cut it completely out?

I believed I ate normal food, but I was brainwashed to think that low fat/low taste was normal food. The transition was easy once it "clicked". Now I'm eating a lot like we did in the 1950's, but more varied, and my tastebuds have adapted to the subtler notes in "real" food. [/quote]

Ha, I guess it is, but no I didn`t cut fats from my diet.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    A few things. Firstly, my loss is masked by water weight due to DOMS and hormones. So the scale hasn't showed a drop in 2 weeks. Expecting a whoosh.

Second, I've been looking at smoothie recipes and now I'm wishing it was summer so I can have one for breakfast every morning...

Third, MFP crashes when I try to finish adding a recipe, or pre-log the next day.

And finally, today I just have munchies. So for today I'm giving myself a break and eating up to or slightly over maintenance. Still hitting my macros though, who knew chocolate pudding could do that? Lol
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    My biggest challenge is maintaining weight, losing body fat and retaining muscle.
    What's your throughts on...
    • fasted cardio
    • intermittent fasting
    • training body adaptation
    And any other suggestions are appreciated...

nk85i8q40zct.png
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    LuckyAndi wrote: »
    My biggest concern right now is eating healthy on a very tight budget. Yes, I could just eat less of the not-as-healthy food, but I don't want to do that. I feel much better when I cook and eat fresh vegetables and prepare my own lunches and dinners versus fixing packages products or getting take out. That gets expensive.

Chicken and tilapia is super cheap where I live. If you have an Aldi near by, get your fresh vegetables and fruit there. The anti GMO thing is marketing scare tactics. I have yet to encounter an actual scientist that eats only organic.
  • driving_miss_crazy
    driving_miss_crazy Posts: 36 Member
    I'm concerned that each time I indulge, it will spiral into a binge which will continue until I've regained everything. Dramatic, huh?
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Limiting alcohol
    Getting discouraged when the scale isn't movingot on
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    I really enjoy Chinese cuisine and when 3 pm comes I start fantasising about delicious food, Chinese usually. But this is a kinda an NSV I haven't eaten spring rolls(which I usually order at 3 pm) since may!!! What I struggle with is my addiction to sweet stuff. I have eaten so many chocolates and other desserts this month that I haven't had a loss. I wish I could do something about my sweet tooth
  • dariacsf
    dariacsf Posts: 32 Member
    Sarcopenia

The best way to stop the process of sarcopenia is resistance training. It doesn't have to be heavy weight, but it has to challenge you on a scale of 1-10 at about a 6-7.
  • dariacsf
    My biggest struggle was focusing on eating "healthy" and believing my need for taste and enjoyment from food (that resulted in overeating) was a flaw :s I thought there was something wrong with me because I couldn't do what I "should" for very long before I "fell off the wagon".

Fast forward to Christmas 2013 and finding MFP, losing those 50 pounds, again, and finally keeping them off.

Congratulations on your success! I do not believe is sacrificing taste for results. In fact I don't believe in depriving myself from the foods I love. I practice "everything in moderation, never deprivation" in my own life and I have been able to maintain my weight for almost 10 years. The same went when I was working towards a healthier me. Excellent work!
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    binge eating.
  • dariacsf

I eat a lot of carbs, whole foods for me include is bread, rice, grains, sweet potatoes. I eat it all. I do not deprive myself of any carbs! Trust me, I love bread, more than I should admit, as well as candy. At the end of the day, if you want to lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit. 500 calories meals should be enough to satisfy just about anyone, have you ever seen a doctor about that? There could be an underlying issue or deficiency. Just a thought.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    PMS that pretty much make me crave bready thing and makes my willpower go away.
    Passing on dessert when I eat out (picking healthier entrees is relatively easy for me at least).
  • dariacsf
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My biggest struggle is with the glitchy MFP recipe builder and glitchy system entries which no longer get fixed in a timely manner.

This!
    endcrisis wrote: »
    My biggest struggle is that I can't move out (studying, caring for disabled family member) and am stuck at home with the rest of my family who are obese and don't even know what a cucumber is. While I of course try to plan my own meals I am under a HUGE amount of pressure and criticism from my family. I am constantly accused of being "anorexic" when I eat just one burger instead of 3. Or when I don't consume my old average of 8k calories a day. And the drama that would ensue if I suggested cooking for them too.

But I am also frightened because there are days when I do not have the fortitude to refuse them and fail. Repeated failures and no escape. I like the fat foods. I love the chocolate and the ice-cream. But I know it's not normal to eat 3 magnums in one sitting. It's not normal to have 5 teaspoons of sugar with a cup of tea. It's not normal to eat a 4 pack of chicken Kievs to myself not including the rest.

Lastly I have broken my ankle two times in two different places this year and cannot put any weight on it (or even swim as per doctors orders). I wonder what contributed to these fractures? Hm. I feel I have no power over my eating habits and I'm not able to exercise efficiently at all.

Peh.

I am sorry to hear that your family does not support you. In fact, you have all the power, as you mentioned, you are already meal planning for yourself and it's okay to enjoy the foods that you love. Do you best to keep you meals and treats in moderation. Our taste buds only need a small taste to satisfy a craving. Keep up the good work and continue to practice it around you family, hopefully some things will rub off on a family member or two, who knows!

As for your ankle, the fracture happened from weakened bones. Take a look at this article: http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/. Bones get strength from calcium, but milk calcium is actually detrimental to our bones, getting your calcium from plant sources: leafy greens, beans, grains, etc. will improve the strength of your bones. Also, make sure that your vitamin D intake is sufficient, it is an essential micronutrient for the absorption of calcium in our bodies.