Stress eating advice

Options
What do you do to avoid stress eating? So much is going on with my family and I don't know what else I can take. I'm constantly on the go from 8 am-the next morning 2/3 am. So exercise is not an option.

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, no easy answers unfortunately, one thing I do try to ensure is that any between meal snacks are as low calorie and satiating as possible. Also tea -any kind- can be your friend.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Planning and being prepared as much as possible helps. Keep non-perishable snacks and drinks with you so that you have those available and don't make bad or impulsive decisions due to be overly hungry.

You don't need a formal exercise program to lose weight or maintain it. Just being active and eating less is all you need.

However, 8:00 am - 2/3 am days are brutal! Is there anything you can change at this point? Housework or errands you can delegate? I don't think that schedule is sustainable for very long.
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    However, 8:00 am - 2/3 am days are brutal! Is there anything you can change at this point? Housework or errands you can delegate? I don't think that schedule is sustainable for very long.

I've been caring for my mom for 2 years now and she's in the end stages of life. My 18 year old son is having surgery in a few weeks to save his kidney. It's just one of those days. Thanks for the suggestions to both you and Hamlet1222.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Oh, goodness! Well, bless you. I hope your son is okay. During times like these it's much more important to focus on the quality of your nutrition and sleep. Losing weight or working out is secondary. Priorities. Get as mush sleep as you possibly can and fuel your body with as much nutrition as possible.
  • Tretop76
    Options
    Thank you <3
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The previous comments are encouraging. On the exercise note, walking, pacing back and forth, using stress balls, or small exercise tools can help with stress. If you are going to eat, try and find fruit, nuts, vegetables, rice cakes, etc to snack on. They are low calorie and will satisfy the sensation to eat. My weakness is candy so I definitely try not to stress eat.

As far as life, you have a lot going on and what you are doing is not an easy task, however, know that you will do your best and will get through it. When you realize that and how your love ones appreciate your help and effort, you will sleep well. Chamomile tea helps too. Take care.
  • Tretop76
    Options
    So true, thanks.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Usually when I'm super stressed out I either try to eat something low-cal like popcorn (Skinnypop makes a great white cheddar one...) or try to just drink a diet soda instead. Sometimes it's the sweetness/swallowing/hand-to-mouth action I want instead of actual food, so getting a large diet rootbeer at the nearest Wendy's takes care of it for the day. I'd also recommend pretzel sticks (an entire handful is ~100 cals)!

Basically, stress eating is inevitable to some degree. It's in our biological code. Just make sure you make the right choices with it!
  • Tretop76
    Options
    I think the Coke Zero helped me out today. Thanks
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I think the key here is to deal with the cause and not the symptom. Get the stress under control and the eating will sort its self out. I'm a stress-head so I can understand. There is tonnes of stuff on the internet on stress management techniques which might be useful. I'm stressed out at the moment and I'm finding that avoiding caffeine helps, sipping camomile tea and using a lavender pulse balm is soothing. Also deep breaths and meditation.
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Add me