Getting thin to get fat....

Options
Hi I'm Bluey - I'm 31 and I'm new to MFP. I've dieted many times in my life and have lost and gained the same 2 stone, on slimming world, for the last 6 years. I do well on the the SW 'diet' but it just doesn't help with portion control, which is one of my biggest problems, so I end up gaining it all back. So I've decided that I need to look at this completely differently and do something that is more sustainable. I need to get fit and healthy, so that I can realise my dream of becoming a mummy - hence the get fat :o)

I'd appreciate any advice that you could give me - here's to a brand new start.

Replies

• ShabbyAbby007
    ShabbyAbby007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Bluey,

Welcome! Becoming a mummy is an excellent motivator. I have no doubt you'll do it! I'm just starting out as well so add me if you like.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi bluey! May I suggest that you get yourself a pair of digital kitchen scales. You don't have to splash out on something really expensive, mine was just under £15 from Argos. They have seriously helped me with my portion control. I think the reason i've been plateau'd for 6 months is because I was always guessing the weights of my foods but this has helped me greatly and i've now shifted 3lb in just over a week!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hi Bluey, welcome to MFP, there is so much good advice on this site...good luck :-))
  • xjlishey1
    xjlishey1 Posts: 286
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    Don't think of this as a "diet" and that it's something that you are doing "for now." If you think of this as a lifestyle change and it is something that you will always do, you will be able to maintain. I'm not talking about starving yourself......I'm saying that eating healthy food choices, eating the "treat" foods in moderation, drink at least 8 cups of water a day, exercise.....this will help your body to feel strong, healthy and you will feel wonderful. Good luck:)
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    with portion control I try to buy plates that are the right size for portions of my favourite food - if it's too big for the plate it's too much! And also it makes the meal look bigger than it actually is if it fills the whole plate (:
  • shamandalie
    Options
    This is my long term plan as well!

I figure being as fit and healthy as possible -before- you have a baby will make worlds easier after :)
  • megan4487
    megan4487 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! This site is awesome, and a great motivational tool. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. Add me as a friend if you would like
  • bluey1980
    bluey1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys

ShabbyAbby007 - I sent a friend request thanks :o)

nurse_carolyn - I'm really trying hard to get out of the mind set of I'm on a 'diet' - that's one of the main reasons I wanted to join here rather than 'another' dieting club.

Neliel - I've got some electronic kitchen scales, they are a god send - not sure how you would be able to control portions or calculate calories without them - my 'guesstimations' of standard protions are awful!!
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Welcome. It's all about attitude and a shift in your thoughts about food. We need to eat to live; not live to eat. Plan your meals in the AM and definitely practice portion control. Keep measuring cups and a food scale handy in the kitchen. I used to "eyeball" things but once I started measuring I saw the errors I was making. The MFP database is huge and has info on just about every food in the world so it is very useful. Good Luck to you. Glad to have you in MFP family.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the same reason :)
    Welcome!
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Digital scales are a must. I got a cheap set that have food and liquid options. Ikea have some little plate/ dish things. I prefer the ones that are more of a shallow dish as our cat likes to try to steal things from your plate and he can't see over the edge from the floor with those! :laugh: Plus stops gravy and the like from sloshing!
  • bluey1980
    bluey1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies - looking forward to getting to know some people along this journey